Newb Trancer lookin for recommendation
Aug 19, 2004 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tempest811

New Head-Fier
Heya guys. I just had my birthday and I chose to get a good pair of headphones...considering right now i use a cruddy pair of Jensens that I got like 3 years ago.

I listen to trance and hip-hop so bass and mid-range quality is a huge for me. I want deep bass also because I just had my subs stolen from my car and now I no longer have anythign to listen to bass with.
frown.gif

My price range is about $100-200. $200 pushing the boundaries. Any recommendations please? I did some reading but you all have such different tastes.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 12
wow thanks! since they are still in my price range, what about the DT 831 and DT 931?

I know the 931 is better quality..but does it reduce its bass too much to meet that quality?...all I need is the quality to be just as good or better and I'll buy 'em

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey Tempest, electronica is pretty much all I listen to. I've found that my Grado SR-225 are actually very enjoyable because of their directness and punchy bass. The AKG 240S is also a great choice, especially on a budget, there is a lot of bass and all the frequencies are accounted for (although the bass of the 770 is still much better), the K501s are a little bass deficient for electronica but have a stunning midrange, the HD600 are decent but a little recessed, and I've found the DT770/80 to be fun because of all that bass, but the midrange is still lacking. It must take a Benchmark to get those mids outa there
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 12
I'll throw in a recommend for the A500 or A900. However, if you want less stage and more presence, go for the A500s because the A900 give the effect of more soundstage I hear. I have the A500 and they sound awesome unamped and un-eq'd, but once I hooked them up to my Marantz, they seemed to come alive. I have an entire playlist designated for car audio bass songs and illegal bass lines. All I listen to is Electronica (Trance, Techno, House, Rave, you name it) and those phones' are fun. Of course, I've heard only the HD280's along side, which suck IMHO, so maybe my ear is not quite up to the level of some people here
orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif
3000smile.gif
580smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
lol....

Aug 19, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 12
By the way, guys, I noticed it said that the 770's were hard to drive in the 'headroom' review of it. I do not have an amp - im just plugging these straight into the sound card in my computer.

Does this change anything?

Aug 19, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, the DT440 does do well on the few techno (don't kill me for using that word as I have no clue about the various sub-genre's) tracks I have. They sound fine out of my PCDP's headphone jack but they require an amp when used with the line-out on my Chaintech AV-710 (or they're bassless) and they also improve with the PCDP when I use the line output to my amp (the best way I can describe it is a "cleaner" sound).

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 12
I do prefer closed...because my roommates blast their music so I have to have the noise cancellation :/

Does anyone know if the Beyer DT 770 Pro 80ohm works well without an amplifier? just plain 'ol sound card? u guys have to remember im not an audiophile lol.

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
and I've found the DT770/80 to be fun because of all that bass, but the midrange is still lacking. It must take a Benchmark to get those mids outa there
tongue.gif

Heh, more like to control the bass better
biggrin.gif
The mids sound a bit recessed compared to the HD650, but if I don't listen to them for a while the DT770 doesn't seem to lack mids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest811
Does anyone know if the Beyer DT 770 Pro 80ohm works well without an amplifier? just plain 'ol sound card? u guys have to remember im not an audiophile lol.

It works well out of the control pod of my klipsch speakers, which sure ain't much of an amp, using my onboard soundstorm as the source.

Aug 20, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 12
You might give the Ultrasones as try as well. The 650 and 700 sound very nice with trancey type stuff. Sound great with all types of electronic music, imo.

You could also try the Sen HD 25-1. They are great closed headphones for elelctronic music. They are great for djing as well, if you ever go down the route.

The DT440 are perfect above both of those, imo, for electronic music.

I sold my 770's a while back. I found the highs way too annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back