Newb testing the waters
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GateKPR4

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I just upgraded from Bose IE2s to my first IEMs Shure SE215s. Right now I'm listening to them with a Sansa clip ZIP 4gb.
Don't know all that much about burnin but I have been using them for about 14 hours now. Still getting used to the difference in sound. I'm still learning about sound and science, there's a lot to read here. So far I'm happy with the SE215s, it's totally different listening experience. I hear a wider range of sound and can hear all the instruments without the sound running together. All seem to be pretty balanced.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to our madhouse of opinions (audio and otherwise). I sense you will be another enslaved audio fan as you have already found audio enrichment in your first foray into our hobby.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the welcome Happy Camper,
I'm a computer tech. by trade. My PC has an HT Omega Claro first edition with the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 THX. I don't own a home system anymore. The Klipsch are pretty old and they don't make the 4.1 anymore. Still has pretty good sound.
I knew a few muscians over the years and was treated to listening to high quality sound at an early age. Never got into the science though have always enjoyed a good sounding system.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 21
I have what I nee right now, Megadeath and Stevie Ray Vaughan sound great, as well as just about everything I listen to with th E215s.
I'm looking forward to learning more about sound quality, this is a good place to be. I found this site while looking for reviews for new ear buds, and have been lurking for about a month now. I find this site to be very informative you all have helped me at least get the best rig in my price range.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 21
Burn-in doesn't really exist. It's just you getting used to the headphones :D

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Burn-in doesn't really exist. It's just you getting used to the headphones :D

The effect of burn in is debatable and matters depending on headphone and is ALSO largely based on brain burn in as you are saying but not real? You are gonna have a hard time convincing me the MP8320's sound like they do now because they were pure crap straight from a donkey when I got them.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
The effect of burn in is debatable and matters depending on headphone and is ALSO largely based on brain burn in as you are saying but not real? You are gonna have a hard time convincing me the MP8320's sound like they do now because they were pure crap straight from a donkey when I got them.

I said "doesn't really" which means you probably won't notice it. Interesting post: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

Edit: Also, cool E17 pics! :D

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Sep 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 21
Let's drag cryo treated cables into it why don't we........:rolleyes:

There is a lot of advice to be given so avoid the zealots, have an open mind/ears and go to meets to hear for yourself the differences (or not) between gear at different cost. Some of these guys are seriously into the end game.

For a music hobby fan, we get into the gear a lot but there are a nice cross section of professionals, artists, DIYers, students, scientist, big boy toy owners, partiers that you can find something. Use the search function for common information on gear. Find those that listen to your genre of music and look at the kind of gear they use. Understand how you use music so you can focus on the right gear for your needs.

If you type in a component name in the meet impressions forum, you will get some good info. Not as good as listening on your own system, in your own chair, but gives you an idea with your senses because a lot of this stuff isn't on a shelf.

K, can't say we didn't warn ya about that wallet thing.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 21
Welcome, it really is true what they say about your wallet here. It is painful to think about the amount of money I've spent because of this place just in the past month. Do you feel that the SE215 are lacking in any way? Feel the itch to try something which could address any shortcomings you have found or do you just want to try out a different sound? Sooner or later you probably will, and that is where the trouble really starts. :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 21
I'm pretty new to IEMs and the SE215 didn't empty my bank account. Getting used to sound isolating IEMs over the open Bose IE2 was a interesting an experience. I don't think I would notice a burn in though I did notice the bass with the SE215 really depends on the seal. I listen to mostly metal and blues which the SE215 handle pretty good.
 The biggest change was going from the Sansa Zip Clip back to my Sony Walkman S764. The Walkman has a warmer sound with less separation in listening to metal vs blues.
I've only had the SE215s for a couple weeks so I'm still getting used to the sound change from the IE2s. Right now I'm still learning about all the portable gear by reading the posts here. It's information overload, so much good info, reviews, science, it's more in depth than I've ever thought. Got to love the internet!

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 21
I guess even though you started this thread several weeks ago and you've posted several times, you're still fairly new here, so I'll offer you my welcome.

I'll also give you some advice you can take or leave. You've seen a little bit of what I'm going to tell you right in this thread, and since you've been lurking a while and checking everything out now that you're a member you've undoubtedly seen a lot more of what goes on in this forum. There are lots and lots of differing opinions on just about everything on Head-Fi. There are entire, differing philosophies on sound, differing tastes, etc. It's very easy to get yourself caught up in all that and start having doubts about what you hear or what gear you have. And it's very easy to lose sight of the whole reason headphones, speakers, and audio reproduction itself exist, and that's to enjoy the music.

So I guess I'm saying that if you're not careful you'll find yourself listening to the equipment and not what's coming out of it, and that's a recipe for upgraditus and a thin wallet, and at the end of the day very little enjoyment to show for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back