Newb needs a camera lens :)
Jun 5, 2007 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

xnothingpoetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Can you recommend a lens for my canon xti? I cannot spend anymore than $300-$400 on it because I also need to buy a wacom tablet in the near future.

Basically I like doing nature shots so I guess I would be looking for a decent wide angle lens and if possible a nice but cheap macro lens. or maybe an all-purpose lens?

The lens from the lens kit was a nice start into DSLR but I need to upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Turtle_vs_Dog_by_xnothingpoetic.jpg

most recent shot with the canon stock lens (desaturated on purpose)

-Mike

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 23
If the kit lens has a range that suits you, stick with it as your price range will not buy a quality upgrade. If you need a different range for under $400, Tamron and Sigma are your clear choices.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 23
Maybe you can get a complimentary lens but you should figure out what do you take pics of most or what is lacking about the kit lens. Why do you feel you need to upgrade from the kit lens?

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 23
Ok I extended my budget for this wide angle lens (10-22mm)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1022.htm

CA1022AFSU.JPG

I guess the tablet will have to wait
frown.gif

From the sample images I've seen and the reviews on it, it is exactly what I am looking for.

BTW dose anyone know where to print photos for cheap? I tried Walgreens today and the quality was great but they cropped my photos and don't give me an option for not cropping them unless I want to call the store EVERY time.

Need to find somewhere else.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 23
The 10-22 is a good lens, but you could've gotten 95% of it for much cheaper. But whatever, have fun with it!

Oh and btw, 10mm is sooo much wider than 12mm
wink.gif

chicago5.jpg

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 23
Well I didn't order it yet. Did you have something else in mind?

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 23
I'm a Nikon D2X user so can't offer much in the way of practical experiences....

However have you tried the Sigma 10-20? If you get a good copy (try before you buy!) then this is a reportedly excellent lens.

Also the Tamron 90mm macro comes HIGHLY recommended as a short focal length macro.

Good luck
Paul

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I didn't order it yet. Did you have something else in mind?

Well the shot I posted was taken with the Sigma 10-20. I bought used to ensure that I get a good copy, and I love it!

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 23
I've been out of the game for a year and a half, so I have no clue what's on the market now. I can attest, however, that the Canon 10-22 is a terrific lens; I use it with my 20D and get very good results (well, as far as image quality goes. My skill as a photographer... well, let's not go there just yet).

One of my best lenses in terms of practicality is the Sigma 18-125. It's not a fast lens, and it uses an archaic electric motor for the auto focus. It tends to hunt a lot when focusing at wide angle and in low-light conditions, and it has a lot of barrel distortion and vignetting at wide angle too. It tends to warm and desaturate colors, so you'll need to reverse that in your post-processing.

So why am I recommending it?

Becuase it's one of the most astonishingly versatile lenses that can do almost wide-angle and telephoto in one, and it's actually amazingly crisp, at least when you shoot at F8. It's sharpness is on par with my expensive L lenses, and in some cases, it's even better! My 17-40L doesn't get nearly the detail that my Sigma can resolve. It's also very, very cheap for what it does. It's on my camera by default, and it, plus the 10-22, is really all I need, though I do use my L lenses whenever I can afford to lug them around.

And guess what, it's also dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-125mm.../dp/B0002CNYL8

There may be newer, better lenses of this type on the market now. As I've said, I've been out of the game for over a year.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Well I think i'm sold on the sigma 10-20 because it's cheaper and I really need a wacom tablet
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 23
The Canon 10-22 really is a special lens, but if you don't mind a little more spherical abberation and poorer focusing performance (only relatively, not really that bad), get the Sigma and your wacom both. Just be sure to buy from a 100% legit retailer, (not located in Brooklyn) becasuse not every unit is a keeper and you may need to return your first one.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think i'm sold on the sigma 10-20 because it's cheaper and I really need a wacom tablet
tongue.gif

It's a strong combo
wink.gif

10-20.jpg

(The red part of the gold ring = my carpet
tongue.gif
)

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 23
Nice choice, btw.

I have used both lenses (owned neither) and while the canon is superior, the sigma will treat you well. Enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back