Newb Headphone Question
Feb 12, 2005 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Underdog311

100+ Head-Fier
Hi im just new to getting into the higher quality headphones and such. I used to just buy mine from wal-mart! Anways, two quick questions:

1. What type of headphones are referred to as cans and why are they called cans?

2. Why do headphones have a L/R icon on them? Does it really matter if you put the right in your left ear? I know speakers use that too, but why?

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 4
speed of lightning, roar of thunder
fighting all who rob or plunder
Underdog. Underdog!

"cans" are slang for any headphones but more specifically headphones that cover your ears. I think it's purely an aesthetic nickname as some headphones look like cans on your head
biggrin.gif

L&R on cans help to situate the music to your head. If a recording artist wants music to be heard a certain way, the will mix the music in that manner. It's very apparent for classical music because if you switch the sides, the strings sound all disoriented and off (at least for me)

hope this helps

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
speed of lightning, roar of thunder
fighting all who rob or plunder
Underdog. Underdog!

lol funny =) Did you see the superbowl? Some credit card commercial had underdog on there.

Quote:

"cans" are slang for any headphones but more specifically headphones that cover your ears. I think it's purely an aesthetic nickname as some headphones look like cans on your head
biggrin.gif

L&R on cans help to situate the music to your head. If a recording artist wants music to be heard a certain way, the will mix the music in that manner. It's very apparent for classical music because if you switch the sides, the strings sound all disoriented and off (at least for me)

hope this helps

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think "cans" belongs to UK headfiers. Iirc, just like riding the "tube". =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back