Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,442 of 10,023
Hi all,

I am lucky to be able to keep the Kennerton Tror headphone at home until next Monday (for the whole Weekend), before having to return it for the next salon Audio Sound-Days in Paris (14-15 October), at the end of next week.

677847DSC1287bb.jpg

I will take advantage of this extra time, more important than expected, to make new listening to the Tror, especially with the other two cables delivered with the Tror by the Kennerton team (in addition to the Stock cable), also in Litz wire.

I will also have more time to write here, this weekend, a synthesis of my listening impressions realized yesterday, Tuesday in France and presented on the French forum HCFR to these two links:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179331407.html#p179331407
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179331982.html#p179331982

First link; for images, weight of the headphones and some measurements.
Second link; for a comparative listening of the two headphones at my disposal, the Tror and the Odin mk2 with a varied choice of CDs (several very different styles of music).

I do not have much more time to tell you more about it tonight because I went to bed late last night (or rather early this morning: 2 o'clock, French hours).

What I can tell you, however, tonight:
Remember that the Tror can be perceived as a super Odin, that is to say a very improved version of the Odin, both for its weight (200 g less to wear on the head) than for the sound, more technical, like summarized here by my friend Pierre Paya (in french) : quote (after translation):
"The sound signature closest to that of the Tror today is neither that of the Utopia nor that of the HE1000, nor of course the 009, but that of what would be a possible hybrid between the Odin and the Susvara".
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179332645.html#p179332645

The Tror does everything Odin does, but in technically better; perhaps with a little less fun, but with much more rigor; it opens the door more to other musical genres than the Odin (which excels for the Rock / Pop, Metal and Jazz), as the classical music, and also, this may surprise, the Techno music where it is truly very good (for example on Stromae, a Belgian singer of Techno, very popular in France).

Listening to the Tror are just as beautiful as the listening to the Odin, but with more rigour, that is what could summarize it the best.
It is certainly less warm, perhaps a little less fun and demonstrative than the Odin, but more precise, extensive, fine and airy.

Eric

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,443 of 10,023
So, I have a question for those of you who own a Vali. How do you describe the sound of them? Say, in comparison to other headphones? Because I've tried to in the past, and honestly, I'm still at a loss to be able to do it. They're very clear sounding, to the point that I find them to be kind of shouty at times. Not even sure how to describe that, but it gets to the point that they're too much. Now, I like the way they sound for the most part. It's just kind of too much of something at times, but I can't define what the something is. I had someone ask me if they were like the Grado sound. I guess maybe a little, but less tame. Kind of like wearing Grados in the pit at a Slayer show. Sound wise. Opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,444 of 10,023
Hello from France.

This morning a photograph of the Kennerton Tror prototype (wooden in Bog Oack , with external grid print in 3D, awaiting the definitive grid in Aluminum) (right) and the Kennerton Odin mk2 (wooden in Carelian birch) (left), side by side, on my drive + dac Audiomat, in natural light (no flash), with a Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 ED VR II zoom (here at 70 mm) + Nikon D300s

592104DSC1317bb.jpg

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,445 of 10,023
Hello again,

According to Pierre Paya, a French reseller of the Kennerton and Hi-Fiman brands (and many other brands as well), we can establish a new equation for the following headphones: (Kennerton Odin mk2 + Hi-fiman Susvara ) / 2 (ie: averaging the two, ie the synthesis or determining what will be a hybrid of the two) = ...?
Answer: The Kennerton Tror! :)

The Kennerton Tror opens up the possibility of listening more various musical genres with a very high level of listening, especially now with classical music, orchestral music, violin (fairer, finer, more extensive in the treble and more airy); the piano, more realist also, with a real opening of the right hand that was missing until now at the Odin, which is very important for me who loves so much this musical instrument; and finally the Electro (Techno) music, with more sub-bass, more definition and airy, and more cleanliness of the sound, over the entire range of the audio spectrum !

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,446 of 10,023
Hello again,

According to Pierre Paya, a French reseller of the Kennerton and Hi-Fiman brands (and many other brands as well), we can establish a new equation for the following headphones: (Kennerton Odin mk2 + Hi-fiman Susvara ) / 2 (ie: averaging the two, ie the synthesis or determining what will be a hybrid of the two) = ...?
Answer: The Kennerton Tror! :)

The Kennerton Tror opens up the possibility of listening more various musical genres with a very high level of listening, especially now with classical music, orchestral music, violin (fairer, finer, more extensive in the treble and more airy); the piano, more realist also, with a real opening of the right hand that was missing until now at the Odin, which is very important for me who loves so much this musical instrument; and finally the Electro (Techno) music, with more sub-bass, more definition and airy, and more cleanliness of the sound, over the entire range of the audio spectrum !
Sounds quite like what I heard as well. I wonder about the impulse response though, and the quickness of the drivers - no electronic music to demo at the expo :p

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,447 of 10,023
Sounds quite like what I heard as well. I wonder about the impulse response though, and the quickness of the drivers - no electronic music to demo at the expo :p

Hi, Juho. :)

Imho, the impulse response and the quickness of the drivers of the Tror must be excellent.

Just to complete my first listening impressions of several CD made tuesday with the Kennerton Tror (and the Odin), I listened this afternoon other CDs, and in particular two CDs to test the sub-bass response of the Tror (vs Odin) :

First CD : Great Bach Organs (Toccata and Fugues BWV 565): the sound is excellent with the Tror; the sub-basses (1st octave of the organ) are well present (not truncated) and reproduced with enough level; the separation of the notes and the reverberation are excellent, without brilliancy in the treble, but without lack either; restitution very homogeneous, extended in the audio spectrum and very airy. Of the great organ.

Second CD: the soundtrack of the movie "Avatar", very rich in sub-bass with a restitution quite compact with a undiscriminating system: here the sub-bass are heard with level, much more than with the Odin which truncates the sub-bass under 30 Hz; moreover the sound is more airy than the Odin with better separation of instruments and sensation of air between the instruments; the immersion is better.

The Tror will be an excellent headphone to listen to the soundtrack of the movies in an Home-Cinema use, for its excellent airy sound, its great separation of voices and instruments, its very clean sounds from the most low note to the most high note, and finally for the good restitution, without feeling of frustration, of the sub-bass, such as earthquakes or truck noise in your neighborhood, which can sometimes be heard on certain CDs (background noise when taking sound).
Ah, yes, I forgot to say, the impact of the bass is excellent with the Tror, probably better than the Odin - which is not bad -, in cleaner.

If the Kennerton Vali is a very good headphones, well I can say that the Kennerton Odin is an excellent headphones and that the Kennerton Tror (the prototype we have, you and I, listened to) is an exceptional headphone, for its sound restitution, for all these musical genres that I could listen to: Pop, Rock, Metal, Jazz, classical music, orchestra music, Electro, and finally, also for for the sound-track used in home-cinema ....

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,450 of 10,023
Hi all, again.

The weekend is here in France.:)

677847DSC1287bb.jpg

This week-end, I will soon be able to compare the 3 Kennerton cables at my disposal to determine, in my ear which of the 3 Kennerton cables (the black twisted cable connected to the Tror and the two cables copper and black color coiled at the foot of the Tror, in the picture above) seems to agree the best for the Tror; heavy responsibility that is mine ...

Just a clarification, Pierre Paya, the French importer of Kennerton pointed out that his cable Vectura C (beige in the picture) in Litz wire, the same Litz wire used inside the Italian amplifiers Viva Audio, is covered with nylon, and not with cotton; the same is true of the very nice Kennerton cable "Stock", twisted, black color, also nylon sheathed (not cotton).

Otherwise, I made new measurements last night between the two headphones, the Tror and the Odin mk2, with pink noise (see the two pictures below): frequency response and average sensitivity on all frequencies combined (always 4.5 dB less, on average) for the Tror versus Odin , for the same position of the volume potentiometer of the amp (if the measurements are correct, what remains to be verified).
As mentioned in the French forum (see the link below), this difference in sensitivity of approximately 4.5 dB between the Odin and the Tror concerns above the bass (not the sub-bass) higher in level with the Odin versus the Tror, in comparison to the medium and the high-medium.

162727DSC0089cc.jpg

490954DSC0107cc.jpg

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179334807.html#p179334807

The official sensitivity of the Odin being high: 104 dB / 1 mW (constant impedance of 35 or 40 ohms); the apparent decrease in Tror's sensitivity (- 4.5 dB) in the bass and the low midrange (but not in the sub-bass) will not be a problem for the amp; the Tror headphone is still relatively easy to drive, but still need an amp, if possible at least 1 Watt power at 40 or 50 ohms load, of the highest possible quality (class A); it can only be better, both for the Odin and the Tror.

Also note the "warmer" (slightly downward) character of the Odin frequency response, which is more charged with bass (but not sub-bass), compared to the frequency response of the Tror seemingly more flat over the full spectrum audio.
Link to the French forum for more details on these last measures of last night: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179334807.html#p179334807

Finally, I translate this excerpt written on the French forum, and that could interest you (with the link of the original French paragraph)

"Otherwise, for Julien, of course the perfect headphones does not exist, and will never exist, but it is clear that the guys of Kennerton, by some magic trick, seem to have arrived, with the Tror, if this should be confirmed subsequently with the copies of series, in significant improvements in correcting real defects of the Odin, or character traits (not necessarily defects) which are:
- The bring (correction with the Tror) of the sub-bass which the Odin lacked, besides being of exemplary cleanliness;
- Correction, with the Tror, of Odin's excess of mattness (duskiness) in the high-medium;
- The appreciable improvement of the trebles, at the same time finer, extended and airy than that of the Odin.
- An even better tonal accuracy in the mids with the Tror, a little less "warm" than that of the Odin, with better harmonization with the bass and treble.
- A better aeration and focus of the sound stage of the Tror, even more beautiful and precise than that of the Odin.

In this sense Pierre Paya is right to say that the Tror is an Odin +++, but it would also be more accurate to say that the Tror is something other than the Odin, despite its appearance and its kinship to the Odin ; it is something intermediary (we will say a synthesis or a hybrid) of the Odin with another headphone even more performing (and different from the Odin); Pierre speaks about the Hifiman Susvara (whom I do not know), but I will believe it. "
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179333942.html#p179333942

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,453 of 10,023
So, the Tror has airier top and more extended sub-bass. How about the mid? I really hope it at least retains all the magical mid of the Odin. And does the low-end, while reach deeper, feel "weightier" (if you know what I mean) as well?

If that's the case, it would be very close to a perfect headphone for me :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,454 of 10,023
So, the Tror has airier top and more extended sub-bass. How about the mid? I really hope it at least retains all the magical mid of the Odin. And does the low-end, while reach deeper, feel "weightier" (if you know what I mean) as well?

If that's the case, it would be very close to a perfect headphone for me :)
My impressions are from a very limited, expo exposure, although worth a mention: the space was very quiet at that time. And audio memory sucks balls anyways.

I thought the bass felt definitely more tactile as I said vs. the Odin, more palpable.
I didn't have the time and possibility to properly test and enjoy the mids, but I think they were a tad less lush, albeit far away from a dead neutral presentation.

And I heard the Susvara just before Odin/Thor, and I have to admit: it was really good. Odin felt like it paled in the comparison markedly - Thor much less so, if not at all, from the very limited I had with both cans. Do take these observations with a hefty pinch of salt :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back