Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 15, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,398 of 10,023
@drwlf

Thank you for the clarification.

Good expo to the Helsinki High-end audio! :)
Yeah, at least some of us are still here :p
The main hifi expo has been bundled together with an interior design/living expo for the past few years, and you could almost describe the smaller hifi-part as a kindergarten/playground for the husbands while the wives scour the larger area for the benefit of the "whole" family.
Ofc there's a couple of strictly hifi ones, but they're rather small-scale and almost like meets.

Too bad the leaflet/official guide has the typos, as I noticed it's even "published" by the de facto hifi magazine in Finland.

I'll stop by after worky today, and if there's proper deals, I guess I could have a few days of demos, and pick up something, as I work/live like a few hundred meters away from the expo!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,399 of 10,023
Thank you @Kennerton Team !
After work, gym and a shower, and only quite a few Finns in attendance as it was an early Friday night, I had my most enjoyable expo experience, ever.

Mr. Valentine Kazanzhi along with his colleagues, on my second stand of the evening, managed to grab all of my attention, for hours ! (Read: rest of the evening, and I thought I'd be just satisfied with one evening in the expo.)

I couldn't even think about pulling away as Mr. Kazanzhi was explaining about the new products/upgrades to the current products with such enthusiasm and professionalism, and even after details about their own product line, satisfied my curiosity about feelings towards other products, with a friendly jest. (For example I mentioned that the next door stands Chord DAVE wasn't working due to driver issues :p) The discussion was awesome!

The amount of information I heard/(understood, as obviously there is a language barrier between us) was vast.
Three products in the pipeline or under consideration under Vali prices, new headband suspension system (excluding Vali and higher up) which is extremely adjustable and lightweight. One was a hybrid open/closed back if I understood correctly, similar to an HiFiMAN Edition S/Monoprice 560.
Trickle down technical upgrades for Odin from "Thor" (Sorry, don't know the correct term yet.) Emphasis on customer satisfaction - any Odin owners are eligible for the upgrades (if there's a fee, it'll be either minimal or free.) Any Odin mk1/2 owner will never be forgotten - and the newer upgrades won't be mk3 - just upgrades for the model, sitting somewhere between the upcoming Thor and Odin mk2. Options for new and better cables as well.
Closed-back version/conversion-option of Vali. (Either user-upgradeable or sending it it to the shop).
Far greater selection for customization options (hopefully), ranging from cups, colours of various parts, and even tuning. Yes, you read that right! Oh, and even a possibility of a video of your personally customized headphone going through various manufacturing processes. (Of course these are serious question marks, but they're basically rather inexpensive to produce, especially on a larger scale, but still, I'm personally wondering about the cost! They should be free from what I understood - just part of the service!)
Discussion about the prototype 18-driver, it's almost science fiction! From what I understood, not eligible for mass production.
A very low end on-ear "33 1⁄3" Fischer Audio model was surprising.
Discussion about exposure of Kennerton (the Massdrop sales were a clever way of exposing the brand to the US customer base), but there's still a lot of advertising to be done! These should be on the mouths of every single headphone enthusiast.

And I probably cannot even remember half of the information as I just got home from a bar, had a lovely evening /w friends after the expo, some food, alcohol and music!

Oh, and if you're a Finn and visiting the expo, there's some unbelievable deals on Vali and Odin. I'd jump on Odin, but as my second daughter was just born in July, I guess I'll have to skip deal for nao, with heavy hearts!

Oh yeah, and did I mention, the Thor prototype (with 3D printed plastic cups etc., and not even close to the production version) was there:
YwaXTFi.jpg

It was quite phenomenal. Concise, coherent and refined.
Even with the pre-production prototype, it was unbelievably light-weight in your hands and your head, but even with this psychological effect - it slammed even harder than Odin.
I was impressed.

And sorry for the babble, a wee bit drunk, and I seriously hope I remembered at least something, and correct!

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #1,400 of 10,023
Superb first return of the High end audio in Helsinky on the products Kennerton.

What fabulous promises in perspective !

Thank you very much for sharing your information and your enthusiasm. :)

The skeptical Kennerton have only to stand well ... and open the eyes and the ears in large! :beyersmile:

Kennerton may hit very hard with the Thor!

I repeat your last sentence about the pre-production prototype of the futur flagship Kennerton Thor (ou Tror ?) : " It was quite phenomenal. Concise, coherent and refined.
Even with the pre-production prototype, it was unbelievably light-weight in your hands and your head, but even with this psychological effect - it slammed even harder than Odin.
I was impressed."

Wow !!

My god ...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #1,401 of 10,023
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the expo the second time I was planning, due to a mother-in-law visit, for further impressions.

The time on "Thor" was limited (as I seemed to concentrate on babbling more than listening), and I was unable to listen to my "normal" range of test tracks, however, I guess I could elaborate a bit further:

• "Thor" was markedly more open and airier than Odin.
  • Perhaps a tad larger soundstage, exhibiting similarities with other planars I've tested, but this wasn't an area I was exploring with the selection of tracks, nor did it strike me as something to rave about.
  • Even though there was a feeling of airiness, the bass seemed more tactile and palpable than Odin, which was surprising, hence, my slamming-comment. Seemed to extend further down below, a bit more textured, but I wouldn't describe it particularly "tight" if somebody would associate this with any anemic properties :p
  • The general tone of the headphones was more neutral than Odin, however, south of neutral in a common view - a distinct Kennerton sound, if I may.
  • The timbre of instruments I heard was quite spot on for my ears, without any noticeable peaks or valleys in the upper midrange, however, as I mentioned, the track selection was limited, as was the time and space.
  • I couldn't detect any problems with leading edge transients or peaks in the treble, that would have bothered me personally, and there were no signs of artificially boosted treble akin to "reference" headphones a few years' back. It felt quite natural.
  • "Thor" felt more refined, and a step-up technologically speaking. Driver was faster, albeit not unnaturally so, but I wish I could've tested the feeling of impulse response further. Thor probably measures better than Odin.
As it wasn't a proper listening area, and the time and the test tracks were limited, do take these impressions with a grain of salt. It's still a prototype, and the grille was 3D printed plastic instead of wood etc.
Thank you @Kennerton Team for the opportunity to hear them out!

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,402 of 10,023
Hi All, What is the upgrade cable people would recommend for the Odin? My current upgrade, from Kennerton, is very fine in sound (with XLR termination), but the strand going to the right earcup has become weakened/compromised, sometimes affecting the sound. This cable seems a little more delicate than the standard issue. In any event, what cables are people here happy with for the Odin? I'd be happy to stick with another Kennerton cable.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,403 of 10,023
Hi All, What is the upgrade cable people would recommend for the Odin? My current upgrade, from Kennerton, is very fine in sound (with XLR termination), but the strand going to the right earcup has become weakened/compromised, sometimes affecting the sound. This cable seems a little more delicate than the standard issue. In any event, what cables are people here happy with for the Odin? I'd be happy to stick with another Kennerton cable.

Hello Arcamera,

I am very satisfied with the cable in Litz wire made by Pierre Paya in France (Casques & Headphones): the cable Vectura C: it is veryflexible, very soft at contact (with its beige cotton sheath) and we choose the length and the termination that we want (Jack or XLR).
It also gives a little more transparency and aeration to the sound compared to the stock cable.
The future Kennerton cable also in Litz wire and cotton sheath, should also be very good, probably cheaper than that of Pierre Paya in France.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,407 of 10,023
Hi all.

Here are 3-4 points to improve for the Odin FR, with the highly anticipated flagship of Kennerton, the Thor / Tror:

9414983.jpg

Source of this Kennerton Odin FR : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-odin.21886/reviews

- Improve, if possible the roll-off below 50 Hz.

- Fill partially the the two hollows of the Odin FR at 2 KHz and at 4-5 KHz which can give a slightly matte character to the high-medium of the Odin.

- Reduce the peak frequency of the Odin FR at 9-10 KHz which can give a certain ganulosity (lack of coherence) of the Odin in the high-treble.

If the FR of the future Thor / Tror is improved in this way (compared to the Odin FR) and well we'll can speak of a super Odin, all the more super that it will be significantly lighter than the Odin and apparently also more airy. :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,408 of 10,023
Re hello everyone.

Discovery on HCFR of a headphone amplifier Solide State that works exceptionally well with Odin if we believe Aziz, who just discovered this amplifier during a visit to the show room of Pierre Paya, in Nîmes (France).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179321319.html#p179321319
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179321406.html#p179321406

Ironically, this amplifier, the XI Audio Formula S amp, is an SS amplifier specially designed for the headphone JPS Abyss.

xiaudio_formula_s_w.jpg

http://www.theevolutionofsound.com/xiaudio-formula-s/

The problem with this amplifier is that with the Odin wired in Litz wire with Pierre Paya's Vectura C cable and an Auris DHP dac, an extremely transparent dac / amp / cable system is obtained which is perfectly suited to the nature one little matte of the sound of the Orthos, and in particular of the Odin.

The Odin synergy with this XI Audio Formula S + dac Auris amplifier is so good that Aziz prefers the combination of this amplifier dedicated to the Abyss, with the Odin rather than with the Abyss, that it leaves of side ; hence the irony of history.

Later, this amplifier (XI Audio Formula S amp) could well interest me as an alternative choice to my Viva 2A3 amp, more romantic.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,409 of 10,023

I'd been using Kennerton stock cable, which is pretty good in its own right and hold its ground pretty well against all else. Also, Kennerton's own Litz upgrade cable, which is really good.

However, I do enjoy one more option: Hybrid Audio X1.

The website is unfortunately in Russian only: http://www.hybridaudio.ru
And this is the page for the cable: http://www.hybridaudio.ru/photo/CID_186.html

I just shoot the owner an e-mail directly, telling him that I'm interested in a cable for Kennerton Odin. His English is fine. (He made a custom cable for my Kennerton Algiz before, and he seems to be the only one I can for that is making this .... Algiz is using a proprietary connector and the upgrade cable not readily available. I was quite satisfied with that cable, so I told him I wanted another one for the Odin). He gives you quite a few configurable options (resulting in different pricing, of course).

Just in case, on his website there is a photo of my Odin with his X1 cable (in Amaranth, maybe you can already tell since I don't think that people have it in this wood and have his cable at the same time -- I sent him the photo right after got the cable):
http://www.hybridaudio.ru/UserFiles/Image/cables/img236_74431.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back