New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Aug 24, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,232 of 1,364
Aug 24, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,233 of 1,364
Aug 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,234 of 1,364
Thank you. I'm trying to source LME49720HA here in Iran but unfortunately it's not available.

Anyone can help me get this and ship to Iran? :D I would really appreciate it.. Hahaha

Thanks for the link. I'm loving this small device! I have the Z2 here in Iran already just waiting to be delivered..

There are quite a few posts about Opamp (and capacitor) rolling in the Walnut v2 thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wal...s-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp-ok_hand.828315/

Of the Opamps I've tried in the Z1, the one I currently like best, is the LME49720HA (TO-99 round metal case) [$14.50 ea].

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,235 of 1,364
I haven't investigated ordering electronics parts, to be shipped anywhere except to where I live in the USA.

It does appear that there are some AliExpress vendors that sell the LME49720HA (but I don't know if they're genuine TI parts) - https://www.aliexpress.com/af/lme49720ha.html

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,238 of 1,364
I have had this little gem Z1 for 2 months and honestly it is a good bargain. I paired it with FiiO EX1 IEM or Grado SR325e and was shocked how
brilliant it sounded playing FLAC tracks. It sounded a bit on the bright side and the vocal was bought forward to the stage. It is not a complaint as you can
imagine some rolling opamps cost more than how much I paid for it (£20 plus). Last week I changed the stock opamp (NE3325?) to TI OPA3124PA and
has burnt in 120 hours. I have settled for the 3124 because I broke one of the pins of LME49720NA after several attempts to insert to the socket.
I better buy the dip sockets or dip headers next time and mount the opamp on it before inserting to the board socket.
I find that there are noticeable improvement in details, space and to my liking not as bright as the stock opamp.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,239 of 1,364
I keep hearing Z1 is better than the walnut v2, which I think is quite good. And I also hear the Z2 is better than the Z1.
At this rate the V3 could be better still and it's suppose to come out pretty soon. There has got to be a quantifiable way to
indicate how much better everything is. Although the Z1 price suggest it's the right now priced good, better choice.
Z2 is twice the price of Z1, and Z1 is just pocket change more than V2. But V2 has the history on its side. But talk is cheap, though very influential.
V3 costs 50% more than Z2.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,240 of 1,364
I keep hearing Z1 is better than the walnut v2, which I think is quite good. And I also hear the Z2 is better than the Z1.
At this rate the V3 could be better still and it's suppose to come out pretty soon. There has got to be a quantifiable way to
indicate how much better everything is. Although the Z1 price suggest it's the right now priced good, better choice.
Z2 is twice the price of Z1, and Z1 is just pocket change more than V2. But V2 has the history on its side. But talk is cheap, though very influential.
V3 costs 50% more than Z2.
I too would like to know how all these DIY players compare to each other without doing any mods. How does the stock sound compare to one another??
Players getting made left and right! So confused :cold_sweat:

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,241 of 1,364
I too would like to know how all these DIY players compare to each other without doing any mods. How does the stock sound compare to one another??
Players getting made left and right! So confused :cold_sweat:

I have Walnut V2 and Zishan Z1 and you can't go wrong with either I reckon. Z2 and Bluebird M1 on the way, although I've seen nothing about the Bluebird player so far (I have an amp by them, which I love). I agree there's a lot of choice right now :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,243 of 1,364
I haven't done the math, but my intuition is the more capacitors in the amp the better. And I've been skeptical of Bluebirds because they use so few caps.
I hope you can dispell my intuition.

I hope so too :) Will find out! (No idea on the electronics side of things, will just have to let my ears be the judge when it comes). The amp I have sounds nice to me though.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #1,244 of 1,364
I have Walnut V2 and Zishan Z1 and you can't go wrong with either I reckon. Z2 and Bluebird M1 on the way, although I've seen nothing about the Bluebird player so far (I have an amp by them, which I love). I agree there's a lot of choice right now :)
I like electronic music like Lone, Kaytranada (mostly the ones that have a lot of sub-bass and mid basslines) and also psychedelic music like Tame Impala. Which player do you think I should go for out of all these? Which would be suitable for my preference? I will not do any mods to them, will use them as it is.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,245 of 1,364
I like electronic music like Lone, Kaytranada (mostly the ones that have a lot of sub-bass and mid basslines) and also psychedelic music like Tame Impala. Which player do you think I should go for out of all these? Which would be suitable for my preference? I will not do any mods to them, will use them as it is.

I don't have much music where sub-bass is really essential, my gut feel is neither of those I currently own (V2, Z1) are sub-bass monsters, however I seem to remember graphs showing quite a roll off on the Walnut, so possibly the Zishan is a safer bet.

Hopefully somebody with similar preferences can chime in, as I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back