New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #646 of 1,364
Some opamp notes. I've tried OPA2132PA, LM6172IN, LME4972NA, OPA2604AP, and finally LME4972HA. I've been comparing the Z1 with each of these against the IBasso DX90 as a reference point. Of these opamps, I like the LME4972NA and the LME4972HA best. The NA, if I recall well, gives more mid presence and texture than the DX90, which sounds quite liquid and smooth by comparison, in this sense, they complement one another as different sounds. I thought that the OPA2604AP was going to be as close as I'd get to the sound of the DX90, the AP being still a little more present in mids, and almost as smooth, but giving a less cohesive sound, and then I got the LME4972HA which sounds very similar to the DX90, it's liquid and cohesive - if there's more mid presence it's very little. On a practical note, regarding the LME4972HA - the legs had been trimmed and spaced by the seller to go straight in the DP8 slot, and whilst it's trickier than a dip-8 opamp to fit, it's not particularly difficult.
I've listened to these variously with Carbo Tenore, Havi B3 pro 1, Hi Z 32, and Yinman 150. The DX90 has more gain than the Z1, and the Tenore and B3 are both low sensitivity earphones, and if you like to listen to music at unhealthy volumes, the Z1 may not be ideal for you with these, but not a problem for me, the B3 having the better synergy.
Which opamp did you settle with?

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #647 of 1,364
You mean to someone else? Most opamps look the same with the exception to the Burson V5i and the LME49720HA. There are probably others, but I haven't tried them. For the most part a NE5532N looks like a OPA2604, but they have markings on the top of the chip.

I was really afraid that my question wasn't clear. I'm sorry for that.

What I mean is, let me give a scenario then.

You moved/replaced the stock op amp with OPA2604, then after you tried it, you reverted back to the stock. You sold it to me. Should I be able to recognize that you already had moved the op amp? Was there noticeable scratches or any evidence that you tried other op amp?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #650 of 1,364
Which opamp did you settle with?

For the moment the LME49720HA. It's a very seductive and satisfying sound.

can you post a link to the seller? thanks

It was a one-off seller. But it would be easy enough to prepare an LME49720HA to fit. Here's a pic:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #655 of 1,364
it's just this "leg" preparation and it can be inserted into Zishan/Walnut or do i need an adapter?
thanks for the picture!

This is a way of avoiding the need for an adapter - it needs a bit more care to get the legs to line up with the holes - tweezers help - but it's not terribly difficult.

how to know the right orientation to plug the LME49720HA?

This doesn't look hard to do, I guess a plier would be enough to bent the tube the right way

In the photo you see a tab which is the front, where the little indentation marker would be on a dip8, and that would help you to orient yourself in arranging the legs as in the photo.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #656 of 1,364
I was really afraid that my question wasn't clear. I'm sorry for that.

What I mean is, let me give a scenario then.

You moved/replaced the stock op amp with OPA2604, then after you tried it, you reverted back to the stock. You sold it to me. Should I be able to recognize that you already had moved the op amp? Was there noticeable scratches or any evidence that you tried other op amp?
No, there shouldn't be, unless an inappropriate tool was used. Removing opamps is easy and non marring.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #658 of 1,364
No, there shouldn't be, unless an inappropriate tool was used. Removing opamps is easy and non marring.

Thanks for that.

Seems like it's safe for me to try my incoming LME49720HA, then sell device later (if decided) without affecting the audiogon scale. :evilgrin:

is the LME49720HA version so much better than the NA?
it's just it's 2x+ more expensive and then i have to sort the international shipping too, we don't have ANYTHING locally :frowning2:

country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back