New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #241 of 367
Anyone here had dealings with AV World in Auckland? They posted a question to the Trademe auction, without declaring who they were, attempting to undermine the event and promote themselves. So instead of embracing the event and community, they resorted to douchebaggery that doesn't speak well of their integrity. They'll never see a red cent of my money.

What happened? I missed that. I havent dealt with them. The comment seems to be removed.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #242 of 367
Welcome!

When is the Pono set to arrive? I'm a bit sceptical, some of Neil's Young's ravings about audio quality seem to have a tenuous relationship to fact, but I'm very interested to hear it nevertheless. Also would love to hear the X5.

Man, if you're just getting into this stuff the meet will blow your socks off!

A tiny bit on the Pono... Delivery will be October. Kickstarter brought in over USD$6,000,000 in pledges (I expect you are well aware of how kick starter boogies). That sum is incredible and indicative of what people are wanting I guess. With a portion of that, the designer/developers are going to do some serious final reworking and testing before going to production. There was a recent interesting discussion on the units driver output stage being discrete so as to avoid any effective
-ve feedback inherent in some form in most amplifier chipsets, to select the best spec and quality components and for the amp to have an output impedance of an incredibly low 5 ohms...

I think Neil's thinking here is his concern that a younger population who has grown up never hearing vinyl and only known 128k MP3s then their idea of music will be soul-less with its emotion missing... CDs offer something bit better than MP3 but as the discussions reveal aren't the end-all.... Another aspect of the Pono is that it has brought an assisted awareness to the artists they can again release their previous work as an HDmusic studio remix, beneficial financially but as true musicians their art will finally be heard as they made it....

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #244 of 367
Exciting! look forward to it, will there be a swap meet there? That'd be cool

It isn't a swap meet per se, although I would be unsurprised to find lots of us trading our gear around on the day.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #246 of 367
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but will the new Oppo Planars Headphones be at the show?
Many thanks,
Nev

At this stage nobody is bringing them, although I am considering getting them.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #248 of 367

Are you planning to get them totally blind from a buying perspective?

Yep, like most of the headphones I have owned. Now with the meet we can hopefully spare some others going through the same process :)

I have decided that if we reach 50 sales for the meet I will definitely buy the Oppo for people to listen to. Now, if you're interested to hear the Oppo you will need to get out there and market the meet :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #249 of 367
Thanks for the great offer. I have my friends coming to the show, as I am a bit far, across the ditch in Sydney.

Wish you well and I know it will be a great success, as the community are talking about it.

Thanks once again.

Best
Neville

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #251 of 367
The only gear of mine I have bought blind is the Cambridge DM100 and my experience has been mixed... There are times where I'm loving it and there are times where I actually preferred the Modi to the DM100.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #252 of 367
Annnnnddd I've got a gollLDDEENN TICKkkettt!

Very excited about this... Just picked up a pair of LCD-X's from Computer Lounge (you did warn me about my wallet about 2 pages back I recall :/ ) and I'll be trying them on every AMP and DAC in attendance! 

I love new hobbies... 
o2smile.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #253 of 367
Annnnnddd I've got a gollLDDEENN TICKkkettt!

Very excited about this... Just picked up a pair of LCD-X's from Computer Lounge (you did warn me about my wallet about 2 pages back I recall :/ ) and I'll be trying them on every AMP and DAC in attendance! 

I love new hobbies... :o2smile:

Congrats on the X and your ticket to the meet! The X is some intro to headphones as a hobby!

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #255 of 367
Greetings. I'm new here but have been lurking in the background for quite some time. Seeing the Auckland get together has inspired me to join up and hopefully I'll get along to the meet. Seem to be a lot of very knowledgeable folks here so I'll just hide back in the shadows and listen and learn. Cheers
atsmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back