New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #151 of 367

Parting with the LCD 2 is going to be hard. It's currently tied for my current favourite can with the T1. If I go for the LCD-X, the LCD 2.2 may need to go. If I decide on the amp, then it has to stay. Decisions, decisions! lol!

The thing you guys don't realise is that after hearing the HE-6 you won't want any of these other cans anyways...

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #152 of 367
Does anyone have a 2012 or earlier production HD800? (SN bellow 20.000). I would like to directly compare it to my 2013 production as headroom graphs seem to suggest they sound very different.

I sold my SN 856 (if I remember correctly)to HelmetGuy and they do sound different as in lots of bass and no piercing treble....to counteract the clichees.HelmetGuy should be at the meet.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #154 of 367
The meet can't come soon enough, NZTF!

I'm itching to try the HE6 and LCD X on the Taurus Mk. II.
smily_headphones1.gif

I must get around to asking Terry at Audio Reference to try my HE-6 on a bunch of his speaker amps, if I can find one that sounds clearly better than the Taurus then I will see if I can borrow it for the day of the meet (for reference, although the HE-6 sounded fantastic on the Taurus they were better when fed from the speaker taps of the $7000AUD Luxman integrated amp at 110W/channel that I tried at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne).

One more thing, I have almost completed work on the website I was starting for the meet and other audio odds and ends, what it really needs now is a bit of content. I have a few things I'm working on, but I wondered whether any of you would like to contribute? The site is live at headphoNZ.org - the 'content' there at present is only placeholder stuff so I could flesh out the design, so it really only gives you an idea of what the look will be. Feedback on the site welcome.

Ticket sales should go live on the site in the next week.

So, if any of you have something to say (and a reasonable command of written English) drop me a line.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #155 of 367

The thing you guys don't realise is that after hearing the HE-6 you won't want any of these other cans anyways...

But but those headphones are so god damn sexy NZTF. I mean, with my HE-400 the Hifiman Heli Headset look is pretty cool, BUT I WANT WOOD :) 

However, back to the point, do the HE-6's actually sound that much better compared to the LCD- 2.x or LCD-X? or even LCD-3 (if you heard it).

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #156 of 367
But but those headphones are so god damn sexy NZTF. I mean, with my HE-400 the Hifiman Heli Headset look is pretty cool, BUT I WANT WOOD :) 

However, back to the point, do the HE-6's actually sound that much better compared to the LCD- 2.x or LCD-X? or even LCD-3 (if you heard it).

They're very significantly better than the LCD-2.x and to my ears and tastes better than the LCD-3, but there isn't a lot in it at that level and preference in sound presentation/preferred genre etc plays a part. I've not spent much time at all with the X, that's the headphone I most want to try Vs the 6 (well, that and the HE-560 of course).

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #157 of 367
I sold my SN 856 (if I remember correctly)to HelmetGuy and they do sound different as in lots of bass and no piercing treble....to counteract the clichees.HelmetGuy should be at the meet.

Do you mean the old one have more bass and no piercing treble, or is it the newer one?

I'm curious about this as well, there are many that seem to believe the LCD-3 is superior to the HE-6

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #158 of 367
The older one has a beautiful sound and I was actually prepared for the worst.Still I sold them as I am going in a different direction now.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #159 of 367
They're very significantly better than the LCD-2.x and to my ears and tastes better than the LCD-3, but there isn't a lot in it at that level and preference in sound presentation/preferred genre etc plays a part. I've not spent much time at all with the X, that's the headphone I most want to try Vs the 6 (well, that and the HE-560 of course).

Wow, how have i never heard of the new generation of Hifiman cans? They look goooooooood. I love the redesign. Interesting it is a step up from HE-6.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #160 of 367

Wow, how have i never heard of the new generation of Hifiman cans? They look goooooooood. I love the redesign. Interesting it is a step up from HE-6.

I don't think it'll be a step up from the HE-6, the price point suggests against that, and HiFiMan have been fairly clear in indicating it isn't their new flagship. It looks good though, and if its 90% of the HE-6 sound while being more comfortable and easier to drive it'll still be full of win.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #161 of 367

I'm curious about this as well, there are many that seem to believe the LCD-3 is superior to the HE-6

...and many who believe the opposite too. As I said, I think they are similar in quality and sound preference and so forth plays a part when choosing between these two headphones. I will point out that far fewer have 'properly' heard the HE-6 though - a case in point would be one very well-respected member who fairly recently described the HE-6 as a "bass light" headphone, and then a member of similar standing (Dubstepgirl, a long time fan of the LCD-3 too) describes it as having the best bass they've ever heard...

Anyone had a minute to check out headphonz.org? Feedback or expressions on interest in contributing anyone?

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #162 of 367

...and many who believe the opposite too. As I said, I think they are similar in quality and sound preference and so forth plays a part when choosing between these two headphones. I will point out that far fewer have 'properly' heard the HE-6 though - a case in point would be one very well-respected member who fairly recently described the HE-6 as a "bass light" headphone, and then a member of similar standing (Dubstepgirl, a long time fan of the LCD-3 too) describes it as having the best bass they've ever heard...

Anyone had a minute to check out headphonz.org? Feedback or expressions on interest in contributing anyone?

Like the layout. I'll drop a PM about content over the weekend. Killer week at work right now...

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #163 of 367

Beat me to it!

The treble energy is definitely there, but wouldn't know how it compares directly to a newer production model. Should be an interesting comparison.

NZTF - the layout of the site is nice, I reckon the popular posts should be in the sidebar along with maybe a recent comments feed?

Also, huge kudos for putting everything together so far!

Just realised I haven't posted what I'm bringing yet so here it is:

Headphones:
HD800
W3000ANV
Magnum v4 (Custom Grado build by Head-Fier stratocaster)
HD25-II

Amp:
Woo WA6 (and all the tubes listed in my profile)

Sources:
Matrix Mini-i (V1) + M2Tech Hiface
Rega Planar 3
FiiO X3

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #165 of 367
  Beat me to it!

The treble energy is definitely there, but wouldn't know how it compares directly to a newer production model. Should be an interesting comparison.

NZTF - the layout of the site is nice, I reckon the popular posts should be in the sidebar along with maybe a recent comments feed?

Also, huge kudos for putting everything together so far!

Just realised I haven't posted what I'm bringing yet so here it is:

Headphones:
HD800
W3000ANV
Magnum v4 (Custom Grado build by Head-Fier stratocaster)
HD25-II

Amp:
Woo WA6 (and all the tubes listed in my profile)

Sources:
Matrix M-Stage (V1) + M2Tech Hiface
Rega Planar 3
FiiO X3

Nice rig mate, I would like to compare (again) the WA3 to the WA6. I preferred the WA3 the last time I auditioned both, but they were using stock tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back