New Yuin G1A
Mar 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiFlight

Headphoneus Supremus
I have always been pleased with the sound of the Yuin phones, having owned all of them at one time or another. I particularly liked the G1s for their expansive soundstage and full, open sound.

Having received the latest evolution of this phone, called the G1A, I was looking forward to comparing the two. As my G1s have quite a few hours listening time, perhaps it is not a fair comparision to match them to the G1As right out of the box, but being the impatient person I am, I decided to give them a comparision run.

This is far from an complete evaluation, as I only used my H120 line out into my iQube and a limited about of musical material.

So far, I have only listened to male and female vocals, mostly with acoustical accompaniment and classical orchestral selections, but they have been sufficient to notice some subtle, but real differences between the two.

The G1A does require a bit more amplifer drive to deliver a comparable volume level. Tonally, male vocals are not as "up-front" in the G1A. This, I think, is a result of less mid-bass emphasis, and results in a more natural sound.

There is more air in the highs, and difficult instruments such as snares and cymbals are represented accurately. I believe the G1A can differentiate more complex highs than the G1. Again, it is not day and night, and these observations would only be noticeable in A:B comparisons.

I also noted that the soundstage and balance held up well at lower volume levels. Many phones do not.

I also noted a very nice soundstage and excellent imaging. As these are clip-ons, this is probably due to the built-in crossfeed that results from a small amount of sound from one phone being picked up by the opposite ear.

I feel that the G1A is able to hold its own when compared to many other more expensive phones. For those who do not care for buds or IEMs being inside their ears, the G1A is an excellent choice. It is very comfortable, and one soon forgets that there are earphones in place.

I do not wish to imply that the G1A are "better" than the G1, rather the overall sound tends more toward the neutral and detail side, whereas the G1 is a slight bit more toward the "warm" side. I think individual preferences will dictate which model will be favored by the listener.

For overall tonal accuracy, soundstage and sense of realism, they are the equal of any of my IEMs, regardless of cost.

I also have the updated G2A, which I will later audition. I had originally ordered the G2 when they were first available, but felt that they were overly bright, and lacked impact in the bass region. It will be interesting to see if these areas have been addressed.

I should also point out that the G1As really perform much better with amplification, much as the PK1 and OK1 do.

The G2A should be able to run directly from a DAP without the need for an external amp.

If you like the Koss KSC-35 or 75s, you will love the Yuins, as they move the clip-on concept to a new level of excellence.
Although the exterior appearance doesn't scream high-end audiophile, the performance of these phones places them on the short-list for high-end sound!

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 6
never mind i got it
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Good Review.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 6
It is impossible to tell the G1 apart from the G1A externally, as the markings are the same, but under the foam pad, the G1A has a black covering over the driver, whereas the G1 does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back