New York City Mini-Meet Impressions 5/7/06
May 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I have my pictures ready so I figured I would go ahead and start the thread. The meet was a great success with some very nice equipment and quite a bit of variety. I mostly will just post pictures since that is what everyone wants.

Bozebutton1.jpg

The rack with Bozebutton's Gear. Krell, Melos and Singlepower amps and a Theta source with an Ack Dac.

Bozebutton2.jpg

Had both a R10 and the Grado GS-1000 plus so many more great headphones.

JVC.jpg

This was my first chance to see the high end JVC headphones. Very nice. Modeled by their owner jpelg.

Jasonstax.jpg

Jason with the Stax headphones that he couldn't pass up and bought at the meet.

Krell-Sony.jpg

The aforementioned Krell headphone amp and Theta source with the R10.

Senn-Zhalou.jpg

Sennheiser Baby Orpheus with the Zhalous DAC.

rack.jpg

tjkurita's famous Blackie 300B amp.

Blackie.jpg

One shot is just not enough.

Jeff.jpg

My Esoteric CDP, Headamp Gilmore Dynamic V2-SE and Sony SA-5000s.

Jeff2.jpg

My Dynahi, RS-1s, HD-650s and Headphiled K340s.

John.jpg

tjkurita's other 300B amp.

It was really a great small meet and a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Thanks John for hosting the event and thanks everyone else for bringing the great gear and yourselves. I look forward to doing this again sometime.

May 8, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 88
Wow, that looks more like a regular meet in terms of the gear on hand. This will be an interesting thread to follow. More impressions to read about the GS1000, JVC DX1000, the famous Blackie 300B amp, etc!

May 8, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 88
Nice pictures. That is one amazing collection of gear. I wait with eager anticipation to hear how cool it all sounded.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 88
Lots of thoughts on today. And I took a few photos to post. But I had to post this first - the absolute showstealer:

nyc12.jpg

It made the highs clearer, the bass tighter, the mids sweeter, our beer taste better, our wives look better, and also scooped the poop after walking the dog.
biggrin.gif

Joke joke. Honestly, I didn't hear anything when we put this on top of the Grace, but I'm not one to say it won't make a difference.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, more thoughts to come.

Best,

-Jason

May 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 88
Nice meet, can't wait to read the impressions.
340smile.gif

May 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 88
Great pics Jeff,Thanks John for opening up your apartment & for the Tasty Pizza.

This was a laid back meet with more hanging out conversing then actual listening. Great hanging out with you guys this afternoon.

The Blackie amp is still impressive with The HD600s(amp Was voiced using the 600s) & the RS1s sounded great with it as well.I wasn't as thrilled with My Hd650/silver dragon with the amp,I didn't listen to the GS1000s with it Others did & felt there was some siblance with that amp.With the MELOS & Singlepower MPX3 the GS1000s I haven't detected any siblance with it at the meet or at home.

The K1000 s sounded pretty good out the Cary 300sei (Not Mine) as did Jpelgs JVC headphone( I listened to the JVC a couple of times & liked it alot).

Sorry lan on the Stax,but I wasn't expecting Jason to whip out the cash for them.(You'll Have to get a long term loan from him
tongue.gif
).

I could't sneak the Blackie amp under my Tshirt when we where packing up,John was guarding it.
tongue.gif

Another great Head Fi Day
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 88
Pity you had such crap for gear, but at least you had each other to have fun with, and that Shakti stabilizer looks absolutely bitchin'.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Call me when you have something woirth listening to ..
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

You know I'm j/k, right?

May 8, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 88
nyc21.jpg

People setting up. From left to right, tjkurita (John) seated, Jpleg (Jimmy) crouching and swapping CDs with GS-1000, vpivinylspinner (Jeff) leaning over near my Chord Blu transport/DAC, Jeff Wong (Jeff) standing with headphones, Bozebuttons (Tom) unpacking something.

tjkurita had a nice space for a mini meet and three nice areas for listening. At one end of the room, Bozebutton's setup with the Melos, a Singlepower MPX and his Krell amp all fed by the Theta and Ack Dact!

Then there was tjkurita's main rig:

nyc31.jpg

With his Cary 300 SEI (to the left) hooked into the Linn Genki and AH! Tjoeb modded tube CD player hooked into his Noise Duality.

Again, I will have to say that Noise Duality with the HD600 is one of my favorite setups ever. It says a lot when a real pro and artist (Blackie) designs an amp (the Noise Duality) voiced for your headphones (HD600 + Equinox). With the exception of some of Mikhail's offerings, I have yet to hear a rig that even comes close to bringing a headphone into something transcendent. I'll post more on impressions, since this time I got to try it side by side with a number of other cans and one of my own rigs...

More to come...

Best,

-Jason

May 8, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Sorry lan on the Stax,but I wasn't expecting Jason to whip out the cash for them.(You'll Have to get a long term loan from him
tongue.gif
).

Don't worry. All is going a
very_evil_smiley.gif
ccording to the master plan *rubs hands*
orphsmile.gif

May 8, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 88
Okay, I'd post more thoughts and picts, but I'm enjoying this Stax too much right now. I tried it real quick out of the T-Amp but couldn't get it to work at all (gain was WAY too low and the sound was totally weird.) But out of my consumer-level, decent Denon mini-system (maybe $400 bux) - wow, I like. This has to be the best budget rig I've ever had.

Guess you guys will have to wait till my, "w00t, Tom was a fool to let this go, even if no one else appreciates this rig" eurphoria passes before I post more on today's meet.

biggrin.gif

stax1.jpg

Hmm, lots of dust in that pict. Oh well, I can't be bothered to take it off to polish it.
biggrin.gif

And I've decided - I ain't cutting off the plastic tie. It's too cool that this came from Papa Smurf!
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

May 8, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 88
So THAT is what you got from Bozebuttons! Aha, finally we can begin our Vintage STAX collection on the island!
evil_smiley.gif
I had a feeling you'd come to the dark side soon!

And I was flying over the pacific trying to get back in time for this meet but it looks like i just missed it which is a big downer because the Darth Grados are back with a vengeance, and I still haven't plugged them into Tom's Maestrobator...
basshead.gif

May 8, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm, lots of dust in that pict. Oh well, I can't be bothered to take it off to polish it.
biggrin.gif

Don't bother, it adds to the retro look.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back