New York City Meet: 12/13/08
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #61 of 105
Thanks a lot for all the impressions and pictures!
Nothing short of a very impressive local meeting. Just something to dream about for a Norwegian though...

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #62 of 105
Like most people I did not get to listen to much during the day. There is just too many people I needed to talk to and not enough time.

My listening consisted of Ari's Silver Ghost through his modified Denons, Yikes' HE 1.2B out of the Woo Audio GES and those little Sony portable headphones with the outboard bass speakers.

There were 20-30 truly high end systems in the room but I never got around to listening to most. I really regret not hearing the Computer desktop system over by the bar that I was told by several persons sounded fantastic. It looked good from across the room but that is as close as I got.

Ari's Silver Ghost was very impressive in looks, build quality and sound. It had to be cranked way up but it made these Denons sound excellent. I am not a fan of closed headphones but I could get used to that set up, especially if I spent time in basement rooms with children's jazzercise going on upstairs like we had here.
wink.gif

Yikes system sounded good with the HE's but seemed to be lacking in dynamics. With Omega IIs plugged in I was more impressed but I may be biased as I own Omega IIs myself.

Overall it was another great meet with great people. I am looking forward to the next one.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #63 of 105
Thanks for Erik and crew for setting up this event. Thanks to slacker for getting me to the meet and monkey from the meet.

It's been a while since I listened to high quality headphone systems. I've broken down my own stuff since summer and they're still in storage. I have to admit a lot sounded good.

I've always liked Audio Technica W11JPN and I reaffirmed this today vs W2002. I liked those HE electrostatic headphones in the Woo Audio GES. I liked what I heard at the the Woo Audio table. I liked ESW9 over ESW10 (this was too harsh or treble aggressive for me). The Beta22 is a nice amp.

I didn't listen to much since I was busy taking photos. I missed checking out nikongod's stuff, the other electrostatic stuff, the reel tape deck, the headphones with the upgraded cables, or any of the higher end stuff.

Here are the few meet pics I took.

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1455-img-8929.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1457-img-8931.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1459-img-8932.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1461-img-8934.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1465-img-8936.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1469-img-8938.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1471-img-8939.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1473-img-8940.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1477-img-8943.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1467-img-8937.jpg

lan-albums-nyc-head-fi-meet-dec-13-2008-picture1479-img-8958.jpg

I took more glam type shots like this.
smily_headphones1.gif

lan-albums-headphone-wallpaper-picture1483-img-8946.jpg

lan-albums-headphone-wallpaper-picture1485-img-8973.jpg

lan-albums-headphone-wallpaper-picture1481-img-8926.jpg

Thanks to those who let me borrow your headphones to take pics of. I'll make them into something nice soon.

Towert7 and erikzen, nice photos. Good job covering the whole event.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #65 of 105
Thanks Ian.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not a fan of closed headphones but I could get used to that set up, especially if I spent time in basement rooms with children's jazzercise going on upstairs like we had here.
wink.gif

Sorry about that!
frown.gif
Actually, the dance classes in the studio upstairs are usually over by 1:00, but I forgot that they also have birthday parties there sometimes. The parties are louder than the dance lessons since it's just a bunch of girls jumping around. Maybe next time I can talk to Miss Linda and see if we can find a Saturday where she doesn't have birthdays scheduled, but then again I can't impinge on her liveliehood. Of course, it's worth finding an excuse to talk with Miss Linda.

2947759997_52bff18559.jpg

3110881611_07525748c2.jpg

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #67 of 105
Awesome photos, lan. Thanks for bringing your little mini studio lighting box, thing-a-ma-jig with the syncronized flashes. I was able to snap one halfway decent shot of a Woo headphone stand but I didn't have the right lens on. Even though the shot came out OK, I couldn't get the background exactly right because I had to stand so far away. Anyway, it was a really neat piece of equipment. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

3110103442_34428831ea.jpg

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #68 of 105
Just don't let he know you have been taking pictures of her when she is not looking and I think you will be alright.

I thought the location was great as parking was ample and it was in a good location as far as the commute went for a large part of the New York contingent. Thanks for all your work in setting it up.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just don't let he know you have been taking pictures of her when she is not looking and I think you will be alright.

I thought the location was great as parking was ample and it was in a good location as far as the commute went for a large part of the New York contingent. Thanks for all your work in setting it up.

It was my pleasure. I'm glad it worked out so well for everyone. We will definitely aim to have a few more meets there.

I don't think Miss Linda minds me taking photos of her. Actually my daughter takes dance lessons from her and I take photos all the time. It's more like don't let my wife know I'm taking so may pictures of Miss Linda!

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a great time at the meet, thanks to erikzen for organizing!

I mainly wanted to hear more powerful amps that could drive the Yamaha orthos, so I don't have much impressions to post. I came away very impressed with WooAudio's dynamic headphone amps.

Ah yes the Yamahas. It was interesting riding with you guys and learning a bit about those headphones. It was my first experience with them. I tried them out of the Woo Audio stuff and liked them. They require an insane amount of amping though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #73 of 105
I'd like to thank all who made the meet a great one. Being new to the headphone scene, I appreciated the opportunity to try out many headphones and see them in combination with so many outstanding systems.
Special thanks to Dave and Rob who took their time to teach me a bit more about what's in the market. It was also great to have the opportunity to meet Ray and see his new mini amp which was astounding. I also enjoyed meeting Jack of Woo Audio and spent quite a lot of time listening to his wonderful amps.

Aaaah, so many choices out there. I found that I did like the AKG 701's quite a bit. Having electrostatic speakers at home, I was anxious to try out the Stax, Jade and HE60. My ear isn't trained enough to appreciate any significant differences between them as they all sounded superb to my ears.

I thought Rob's setup with his recabled 701's and the B-52 sounded out of this world to me. I guess that would be my dream system. But having the electrostatic bug, I'll have to give them some thought as well. Or is it ok to have both a dynamic and a electrostatic system?
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to listening more at upcoming meets.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by likes2hike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ear isn't trained enough to appreciate any significant differences between them as they all sounded superb to my ears.

Perhaps, but keep in mind that often the differences between headphones are subtle and not easily discernable under meet conditions.

Quote:

...is it ok to have both a dynamic and a electrostatic system?
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I just checked the Head-Fi bylaws and you are required to own both dynamic and electrostatic systems within 6 months of your 500th post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back