New York Audio Show 2013
Apr 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #61 of 91
I was there yesterday morning covering headphones and some other gear for Dagogo.com.  I also heard the YG acoustic speakers with a 50K  Veloce Battery power amplifier and thoer 6K DAC total system cost was 104K without the cables

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:
Does audeze have their closed back prototype at the show?

Unfortunately they were not at thew booth when I was there. I spoke and stayed in that room for about 90 minutes and the booth was unmanned so I didn't see them but Dan had his mad dogs there and they sounded excellent and I was hoping to see Alex or Sankar but no dice.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #65 of 91
The cafe is not able to be founhd by my friends and i, so if u see 3 young men, just say hi, sorry for no meet

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #68 of 91
Quote:
Quote:
Does audeze have their closed back prototype at the show?

Yes they do. Reports later.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:
Quote:
I was there yesterday morning covering headphones and some other gear for Dagogo.com.  I also heard the YG acoustic speakers with a 50K  Veloce Battery power amplifier and thoer 6K DAC total system cost was 104K without the cables

Yes, I saw and heard it too. Very nice, huge sound. Not so nice and huge price. Lol

All of a sudden the lcd-3 seems humble...

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #70 of 91
Met Alex yesterday who I've corresponded with before. Nice guy, in fact the whole staff is. Today he had not come in as yet.

I did have a good 20 minute listen to the closed back prototype. As I was making my notes one of the team said, "We are going to use different drivers, we are just showing about what it will look like"
We will have an engineer who will be working just on this project"
So I stopped jotting my notes because it probably is not going to sound the same as the prototype on display today.

Two things though I am sure of and I verified with the fellow who was talking to me.

1. It going to have, as this one has, the Audeze sound. Large sound stage, wide range from top to bottom, and detail.
2. It will, as this one does, look like a Audeze headphone.

BTW the set up is......Macbook Air > DACmini > Bryston BH-1 > LCD closed back.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #71 of 91
I was there yesterday, Friday.  It wasn't too crowded, which was nice.

I thought the Woo Audio room was good, as always.  The highlight, to my surprise, was the Woo GES coupled with the Stax SR-507.  For all I know, the Korg processor/DAC playing DSD had a big role to play, but I preferred that rig to WES coupled with the SR-009 and SR-007, both of which sounded kind of boring.  I thought the SR-507 had better mid-range and highs, and was not lacking in bass as I had expected.  Seems like a sweet spot in the Stax line-up in terms of price.

The Cable Company was also displaying headphones and amps in the vendor's area.  I didn't bother to listen to the Abyss headphones, thinking they were some sort of Beats knock-off.  Turns out they sell for $5,500.  I thought the HD800s sounded very good out of the Fosgate amp they had brought.  Good bass and slightly warm sounding.

As far as speaker setups, I checked out almost every room.  The best I heard was the Kaiser Kawero speakers in the LessLoss room.  I had never heard of these speakers before the show, but I came away very impressed.  I could listen to those speakers all day long -- they sounded really great.  If I wanted to shell out $65K for a set of speakers, those would be on my short list. 

Although not at the same level, the Coincident Speaker room also sounded very nice.  Nothing mind blowing on first listen, but those speakers really grew on me after about 15 minutes.  I now understand why Coincident is held in such high regard among the high efficiency/SET crowd.  Finally, I liked the GamuT speakers playing in the Woodbridge Audio room.  Very dynamic, great bass. 

Otherwise, nothing else sounded that great, although room acoustics were an obvious issue in some rooms.  Only one room I visited had room treatments, so that could explain the problem in some cases.

Finally, I wish more exhibitors played a wider variety of music.  Instead, most vendors were playing jazz, with a little classical and female vocal music thrown in.  I guess that made sense, considering the average age of those in attendance was about 60.  Still, hearing a wider variety of music would have been nice.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #72 of 91
So I'll try not to write huge paragraphs, just quick notes:

First Floor

- The first Amp/DAC on the right, with the He- 5le, Was amazing. It surely trumped my HE5Le Gamma2 Lyr combo, although I forgot the damn company name I would really be interested in this product when the money comes along
- The Abyss cans seamed overpriced TBH, no offense intended. They didn't seam any better than the LCD-2's nearby, and for 6x the cost, no thanks. They were however good cans, but I wouldn't pay over $800 for them
- The HD650 is veiled, but not as much as people say
-PS1000 isnt comfortable enough for me to be interested

Headzonez
- The Momentum really is overhyped, I much preferred my K167
- The HD800 +sennheiser amp was awesome, DEFINATELY a "want to buy" rig for me
- I really loved the MadDogs, the possibility of pairing them with a portable amp makes me want to buy some
- My friend loved the HD598, I thought it wasn't as good as my Q701, but coming from Skullcandy RockNations, he loved them
- The "Float", da **** lol. Looks like a less comfy jecklyn float, and feels like it too. But hey, it looks interesting
- The Audeze crew was very friendly, and I loved the LCD-2 with Velour. Sounded very open, and wasn't bass heavy at all, like people say it is
- The Audeze Prototype was amazing! Wow! It was probably the biggest WOW FACTOR of the whole show. It sounded totally open, and it was very balanced, the treble and bass seamed very clean and equal, no closed can symptoms to be had here.
- The portable player company there that start with an "A" was very impressive. The $350 hike up in price isn't enough to justify ridding of my Cowon Z2 for it, but it was very good sounding. A bit of lag in the UI but that I'm sure can get used to
- There is a new "Family" of momentums coming out: like, mid price, low price, etc. so look out for that

Rooms
NB: I'm not too into speakers, but I will say what I can
- The CLUE for $1000 sounded awesome!
- The large electrostatic speakers were my personal favorite
- The WA6 brought the K702 to a whole new level than my Lyr does. At the NY meet, will test with my HE-5Le, and if sounds good, will definitely be coming home with me, it is amazing
- The Stax Sr-009 + WES was the best combo I've ever heard quite honestly. It sounded amazing
- T50p wasn't so great, I much preferred my K167, again lol
- The T90 was the only headphone at the entire show I truly disliked
- The HD 800 sounded very good on the Woo Prototype
- Was VERY impressed with the T1's soundstage, but the timbre wasn't there, and it sounded artificial
- I loved the WA7
- Furutech had a very nice speaker system
- These cables made in like Taiwan or something were very nice, with wooden terminations, very classy, sleek, and stylish

Conclusions
- Would like to give a shout out to Mr.Speakers. he is a very down to earth, friendly guy, and I really enjoyed chatting with him and his crew, I really am excited to see him again at the NYC Meet
- What I was most impressed with, I already own, I have the Q701, and when I plugged that K702 into the WA6, I had rediscovered them entirely
- Speakers are a crap ton of money, and honestly, I didn't hear much difference between many of the models. Also, a lot of them had too much bass for my tastes

I had lots of fun, so thanks to all the vendors!

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #73 of 91
Quote:
I thought the Woo Audio room was good, as always.  The highlight, to my surprise, was the Woo GES coupled with the Stax SR-507.  For all I know, the Korg processor/DAC playing DSD had a big role to play, but I preferred that rig to WES coupled with the SR-009 and SR-007, both of which sounded kind of boring.  I thought the SR-507 had better mid-range and highs, and was not lacking in bass as I had expected.  Seems like a sweet spot in the Stax line-up in terms of price.

Woo room was better than good, they'rrrrre GREAT!  [c/o Tony The Tiger]

I too spent a lot of time with that rig that use the Korg source.  But it had an older Stax 404 with it when I was listening; could have sat there for hours to days with it regardless.   Tho I definitely didn't think the SR-009/7 was boring at all; but perhaps, "polite".  I still could have sat there for hours. 

...Pix to come...

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #74 of 91
Quote:
- Would like to give a shout out to Mr.Speakers. he is a very down to earth, friendly guy, and I really enjoyed chatting with him and his crew, I really am excited to see him again at the NYC Meet

Incredible rundown.  You must have been taking notes; if not I envy your memory!

And I too liked Mr. Speakers ... and what he was sell'n ... so much so I bought yet another $300 headphone!  (Now I just need to get a portable amp that can deliver about 1 watt or more  into 40 ohms or whatever they are.  But that's for another thread...)

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 91
Incredible rundown.  You must have been taking notes; if not I envy your memory!

And I too liked Mr. Speakers ... and what he was sell'n ... so much so I bought yet another $300 headphone!  (Now I just need to get a portable amp that can deliver about 1 watt or more  into 40 ohms or whatever they are.  But that's for another thread...)

As a high school student, I will have to do my daily scanning of FS until one comes up cheaper. All memory btw :), I have a great memory, too bad I can never remember my history notes :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back