New York Audio Show 2013
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #76 of 91
I completely forgot to test the new Audeze. :frowning2:

The HD800+HDVA600 is probably the best combo I've ever heard. Ever.
The HE-5+WA7 decent, too. Fit was iffy, though.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #77 of 91
Personal highlights from yesterday:

Headphone related:
1.  Smyth realizer at the AIX vendor booth on the 4th floor.  Almost missed it.  Very impressive, both the multi-channel HD recordings and the sound through the realizer (don't even remember what the phones were)
2.  I love the look of the the Woo firefly.........very cool design.  Woo had very nice suite once again (but I am a stax 009/BHSE guy so I am officially not in the market for myself any more, so I didn't listen as much as I did last time).  Firefly might be a good starter for my daughter going off to college next fall.
3.  Quad headphones were very underwhelming and totally goofy looking.  No acoustic isolation in a crowded room so maybe they are better in a quiet environment.

Other stuff: (I always find it hard to evaluate components since the sound has so many unknown variables, but...........)
1.  I seem to love ribbon tweeter based speakers much more than any other type (a new realization).  Raidho speakers in two different rooms were fabulous.
2.  The Kaiser speakers (also with a ribbon tweeter) were also wonderful.
3.  Vivid audio G1 speakers were also great sounding to me.
4.  Again this year, the Bricasti DAC sounded great with Harbeth speakers.
5.  The new Sony 4k TVs are fantastic.  They had the $25k 85" set in the corridor and the picture is mind-bogglingly fantastic.  Sony also announced 65" and 55" 4k sets last week with the lowest price around $5,000 if I remember correctly.  Hopefully this will trickle down to something reasonable in a couple of years, around which point in time I'm certain my JVC LCoS set will have an unfortunate accident and need to be replaced :)
6.  Audio Doctor had a new speaker from France, a company called Waterfall.  It sounded great, costs about $7k and is gorgeous with the box all in glass!  Stunning looks.
7.  Sony speakers were very nice in their room.  Sony was one of the only rooms playing real music (not audiophile approved 2nd tier musicians) that I love and at sane volumes.

Misc. other:
1.  In the sound by singer room with the medium sized Raidho speakers, the Danish representative of Raidho used vertical stacks of tall twigs (from Ikea I'm told) for room tweaking.  He had one placed a couple of feet outside and in front of each speaker and a couple of others around the room.  Very organic room tuning and not as visually ugly as most tuning devices.
2.  Can someone tell these people to stop playing so freakin' loud in small rooms.  A number of rooms with mega-buck systems were WAY too bright and too loud (in their defense, as more rooms turn up the sound, there is a positive feedback mechanism to drown each other out).

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #78 of 91
Wish I could have gotten to the show but I had a gig on Long Island.  Glad it was a good show!

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #79 of 91
Quote:
- The HD800 +sennheiser amp was awesome, DEFINATELY a "want to buy" rig for me

I went back today and listened to that setup, the HD800 + Senn HDVD800 headphone amp.  Honestly, it sounded a little too analytical and lean to me.  

I thought the HD800 sounded a lot better out of the Fosgate tube amp that the Cable Company brought.  In fact, it was my second favorite headphone rig after the Stax/Korg rig in the Woo Audio room.  I haven't heard much about Fosgate here on Head-Fi, probably because it isn't cheap at $1500, but it was the only setup that made me think about buying the HD800s, a temptation I have resisted so far.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #80 of 91
Quote:
Personal highlights from yesterday:

Headphone related:
1.  Smyth realizer at the AIX vendor booth on the 4th floor.  Almost missed it.  Very impressive, both the multi-channel HD recordings and the sound through the realizer (don't even remember what the phones were)
2.  I love the look of the the Woo firefly.........very cool design.  Woo had very nice suite once again (but I am a stax 009/BHSE guy so I am officially not in the market for myself any more, so I didn't listen as much as I did last time).  Firefly might be a good starter for my daughter going off to college next fall.
3.  Quad headphones were very underwhelming and totally goofy looking.  No acoustic isolation in a crowded room so maybe they are better in a quiet environment.

Other stuff: (I always find it hard to evaluate components since the sound has so many unknown variables, but...........)
1.  I seem to love ribbon tweeter based speakers much more than any other type (a new realization).  Raidho speakers in two different rooms were fabulous.
2.  The Kaiser speakers (also with a ribbon tweeter) were also wonderful.
3.  Vivid audio G1 speakers were also great sounding to me.
4.  Again this year, the Bricasti DAC sounded great with Harbeth speakers.
5.  The new Sony 4k TVs are fantastic.  They had the $25k 85" set in the corridor and the picture is mind-bogglingly fantastic.  Sony also announced 65" and 55" 4k sets last week with the lowest price around $5,000 if I remember correctly.  Hopefully this will trickle down to something reasonable in a couple of years, around which point in time I'm certain my JVC LCoS set will have an unfortunate accident and need to be replaced :)
6.  Audio Doctor had a new speaker from France, a company called Waterfall.  It sounded great, costs about $7k and is gorgeous with the box all in glass!  Stunning looks.
7.  Sony speakers were very nice in their room.  Sony was one of the only rooms playing real music (not audiophile approved 2nd tier musicians) that I love and at sane volumes.

Misc. other:
1.  In the sound by singer room with the medium sized Raidho speakers, the Danish representative of Raidho used vertical stacks of tall twigs (from Ikea I'm told) for room tweaking.  He had one placed a couple of feet outside and in front of each speaker and a couple of others around the room.  Very organic room tuning and not as visually ugly as most tuning devices.
2.  Can someone tell these people to stop playing so freakin' loud in small rooms.  A number of rooms with mega-buck systems were WAY too bright and too loud (in their defense, as more rooms turn up the sound, there is a positive feedback mechanism to drown each other out).

Did you go to the Sony store up the street? The had the smaller 4K TVs on display and for sale. It looked amazing.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #81 of 91
I went on Sunday.  I heard the LCD3 and HE6 for the first time, they had them on some 6k Luxman amp!
they were both very nice. I went to the show trying to decide if I shouold upgrade to one of these I'm still debating..
I heard the hd800 also for the first time, it was nice but maybe not for me..

the Stax 009 and WES amp that Woo had in their room  was absolutely phenomenal on some classical music I heard leaving nothing to be desired maybe the best I had heard.
wondering how I can scrape some pennies together to get this setup..

one thing I think I know is now that I have moved into my new home I may get back into 2 channel audio more..I know have the space to do it right

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #82 of 91
Quote:
Did you go to the Sony store up the street? The had the smaller 4K TVs on display and for sale. It looked amazing.

No I didn't.  I had been planning to go to the sony store, but when they had the big 4k at the show, I decided skip the sony store.
If I had known they had the smaller sets, I would have headed over anyway........when they get under $2k, I'll want one at home but I think I'd
wait until a 65" gets down around there.  My guess is 2 years.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #83 of 91
Quote:
I went on Sunday.  I heard the LCD3 and HE6 for the first time, they had them on some 6k Luxman amp!
they were both very nice. I went to the show trying to decide if I shouold upgrade to one of these I'm still debating..
I heard the hd800 also for the first time, it was nice but maybe not for me..

the Stax 009 and WES amp that Woo had in their room  was absolutely phenomenal on some classical music I heard leaving nothing to be desired maybe the best I had heard.
wondering how I can scrape some pennies together to get this setup..

one thing I think I know is now that I have moved into my new home I may get back into 2 channel audio more..I know have the space to do it right

come to the show in LI next saturday and you can try 009s with Woo, Blue Hawaii and maybe more.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

come to the show in LI next saturday and you can try 009s with Woo, Blue Hawaii and maybe more.

man things are busy but when/where is this LI show? I can see if I can make ..

btw folks that went to the show, what was your impressions of the new Abyss headphones made by JPS labs.
they were right next the Cable company table.  They were nice but do run $5500 and are only 85 db efficient.
but they sounded pretty good, I went back and forth between the HD800, LCD3 and HE6.  The Abyss were really nice
but I couldn't come to a conclusion as the room got noisy. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

btw folks that went to the show, what was your impressions of the new Abyss headphones made by JPS labs.
they were right next the Cable company table.  They were nice but do run $5500 and are only 85 db efficient.
but they sounded pretty good, I went back and forth between the HD800, LCD3 and HE6.  The Abyss were really nice
but I couldn't come to a conclusion as the room got noisy. 

I personally prefer my HE-5Le out of my Lyr than the Abyss out of the >$2000 (IDK how much it actually is, just know its alot) Cavalli LF... Reminds me of this lol

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Here is the link    http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #88 of 91
Quote:

I personally prefer my HE-5Le out of my Lyr than the Abyss out of the >$2000 (IDK how much it actually is, just know its alot) Cavalli LF... Reminds me of this lol

The Abyss was hooked up to the prototype cavalli liquid gold not the LF.
I put it on for a few seconds it was to loud in the room to listen to it.

Rooms that stood out for me was the Kondo room,Wes bender studio room with the $6500 marten speakers.Wes always has a good sounding room at shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back