New Year - New Gear! What are you looking to get in 2017?
Dec 31, 2016 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LugBug1

Headphoneus Supremus
Are you happy with your current set up? Or are you desperate for a change..?

I'm happy with my lowly lot that I'm listening to now, but I'm also looking to upgrade certain bits. I've been settled with my bunch of vintage amps for going on 3 years now.. But I'm looking to get back into headphone amps. I've started with an LD mk2 and I'm enjoying tube rolling again. 

Headphone wise, I'm extreeemily happy with the HD700 - very near to my perfect headphone! But I still miss the HD800 for its larger imaging/soundstage. So, I'll be looking to either buy them again or the S model. Undecided.

How about yous?? :)  

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm looking forward to a few things. Mostly the Trinity Audio Phantom Master 6 and the fiio x5ii that I have on the way, but I'm still eyeing some other stuff. May get something for my truck (which sounds terrible) and may look into some speakers, but if I even hint at buying another pair of headphones I'd probably get into trouble. :D

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 16

Original rather than S? 

This is going to be my dilemma this year... hmmm. I owned the original for two year and loved it. Just curious about the resonator business. I listen to 95% classical music and 5% Jazz. I'm guessing the warmer 'S' would be better for Jazz but I'm not sure if the original can be beat for classical?

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 16
  This is going to be my dilemma this year... hmmm. I owned the original for two year and loved it. Just curious about the resonator business. I listen to 95% classical music and 5% Jazz. I'm guessing the warmer 'S' would be better for Jazz but I'm not sure if the original can be beat for classical?

Perhaps not. I'm kind of opposite in that I don't listen to classical at all, only contemporary music (predominantly electronic, but also hip hop and rock). The S offers a warmer signature that is more to my taste. It may compromise on the last degree of accuracy of the original, but for me, it's a compromise worth making. I liked the 800, having demoed it a number of times, but the brightness of the treble held me back from making a purchase. When the S came along, it still had the detail retrieval, imaging and soundstage I liked so much in the 800, but with a bit more bass presence and tamed highs - it was a done deal; I knew I had to have it! I do listen to some jazz, and it's great with that, but I couldn't say which would be best for classical. If you go on the two main threads for the S, I'm sure there are some classical buffs who would be able to offer an in depth comparison - in fact, I'm sure they already have.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 16
For some reason I've been eyeing IEMs a lot lately. Just ordered CA Novas but if I like the fit I might upgrade to Andromeda later in the year. 

Pretty happy with my K7XX for now, but who knows what'll happen in a few months.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 16
I am looking at a linear PSU for my Aries Mini streamer and my Ethers are at MrSpeakers being upgraded to Flow status.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Nope, not interested in much audio wise atm, have felt like this for a while now. Will get an iBasso DX200 because I appreciate the brand but earphone wise I'm not interested. I've virtually conditioned myself to surf this place with little to no temptation.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 16
Well I've started already.. Bought another pair of HD600. My third... :p 

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 16
So far this year (so just in the past few weeks) I bought a Chord Mojo, Sennheiser HD 800, AudioQuest NightHawk, JVC HA-SZ2000, JVC HA-MR77X, and Skullcandy Crusher. Returned some of 'em and will buy the Focal Elear next. I'd like to upgrade to the Chord Hugo 2 later this year. I could have bought nearly any headphone, but I want to reinvest my money instead of blowing it. Until then I'd like to avoid spending more than $1,000 on any single headphone. Depending on how things go with the business endeavors, I may be able to comfortably (as opposed to recklessly) afford things like the Abyss, Utopia and/or SR-009 later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back