New vinyl rig component advice
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mr_superlove

100+ Head-Fier
After some early hiccups, I've gotten my brand new Music Hall MMF-5 up and running. My wife didn't realize the need for a phono stage, etc. so I'm now in the process of deciding on those. This is my first trip into vinyl although I've been collecting albums over the past two years in anticipation of this moment.

I've almost made up my mind on the phono stage and headphone amp to couple with it, but wanted to hear some opinions. First some background...

Needs:
  1. Phono Stage
  2. Home-based Headphone Amp

Existing Components to be included in rig:
  1. Source: Music Hall MMF-5, stock tonearm, stock cartridge
  2. Headphones: Etymotic ER4P

Sampling of current vinyl collection:
  1. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
  2. Wilco - Being There
  3. Beck - Sea Change
  4. Tool - Lateralus
  5. Spoon - Gimme Fiction
  6. My Morning Jacket - Z
  7. Gomez - Bring It On
  8. The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

Future gear plans:
  1. Open headphones
  2. Loudspeakers
  3. Dedicated CDP

Auditioning opportunities in Little Rock, AR are slim, so I'm most likely going to have to go with components I've not heard. I've had a RSA SR-71 for the past two years and love it. Because of that admittedly limited experience, I'm partial to Ray's products. I'm figuring on getting an XR-2 as phono stage. I'm trying to decide between the Raptor and HR-2 for my headphone amp.

I'm expecting to hear that with the turntable and current headphones I'm using, either of the two amps with the XR-2 will be overkill. But I think that's all right. I'd like to upgrade-proof myself with those components for a while.

I've not so much as seen a tube in person, so perhaps I should play it safe with an SS amp? I don't know, I could use some opinions...

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 14
I've had pretty good luck with my NAD PP-2 phono stage, you can pick one up here for $129.

These guys also have a pretty good selection. I've heard some really good things about the Bellari.

I'm in a similar spot, i just ordered an MMF-5. How do you like the cart that came with it?

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 14
A phono preamp isn't rocket science. Get an inexpensive one. Try www.garage-a-records. I think they have a good one for $50.

See ya
Steve

Dec 29, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A phono preamp isn't rocket science. Get an inexpensive one. Try www.garage-a-records. I think they have a good one for $50.

See ya
Steve

I do not agree...I've never built nor have understanding of how the insides of a phono stage work. I do own an MMF-5 though and noticed significant improvement in sound quality as I moved up to better phono stages. Something inexpensive may work in the short term but I believe will leave you unsatisfied.

edit:spelling

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 14
I've used an RSA XR-2 with an mmf-5, VPI Scout, Rega P3 and Sota Sapphire. I've compared it others including the ASR Mini Basis and I've never found one anywhere near the price that has caused me to consider changing. I've owned the XR-2 longer than anyother piece of gear.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See ya
Steve

oh you must be joking - its one of the components that makes most difference in a system! you are dealing with amplifying tiny signals, hence signal paths, component layout, grounding scheme, component choice etc etc etc all make a difference.

Although I now use my own home built phono stage, the NAD PP2 is a great buy, sounds good, is versatile and easy to use. The bellari has a built in headphone amp.... but I have never heard it however from what I read about it, I think I would go for the PP2 (just my reading of the posts/reviews). You can pick up the PP2 on ebay for <$100.

have fun,

Fran

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_superlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some early hiccups, I've gotten my brand new Music Hall MMF-5 up and running. My wife didn't realize the need for a phono stage, etc. so I'm now in the process of deciding on those. This is my first trip into vinyl although I've been collecting albums over the past two years in anticipation of this moment.

I've almost made up my mind on the phono stage and headphone amp to couple with it, but wanted to hear some opinions. First some background...

Needs:
  1. Phono Stage

Sampling of current vinyl collection:
  1. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
  2. Wilco - Being There
  3. Beck - Sea Change
  4. Tool - Lateralus
  5. Spoon - Gimme Fiction
  6. My Morning Jacket - Z
  7. Gomez - Bring It On
  8. The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

Future gear plans:
  1. Open headphones
  2. Loudspeakers
  3. Dedicated CDP

Auditioning opportunities in Little Rock, AR are slim, so I'm most likely going to have to go with components I've not heard. I've had a RSA SR-71 for the past two years and love it. Because of that admittedly limited experience, I'm partial to Ray's products. I'm figuring on getting an XR-2 as phono stage. I'm trying to decide between the Raptor and HR-2 for my headphone amp.

I'm expecting to hear that with the turntable and current headphones I'm using, either of the two amps with the XR-2 will be overkill. But I think that's all right. I'd like to upgrade-proof myself with those components for a while.

I've not so much as seen a tube in person, so perhaps I should play it safe with an SS amp? I don't know, I could use some opinions...

If you are going to stick with a MM cartridge than a Hagerman Technology Bugle is all you need.More money will put you into a MM Gram Amp 2 SE or a moving coil only Gram Amp 3 Fanfare.The yet more expensive XR-2 will work with both MM and MC cartridges.These are all fine SS choices.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to stick with a MM cartridge than a Hagerman Technology Bugle is all you need.More money will put you into a MM Gram Amp 2 SE or a moving coil only Gram Amp 3 Fanfare.The yet more expensive XR-2 will work with both MM and MC cartridges.These are all fine SS choices.

The Bugles are no doubt nice, but at $400 I don't think it's a good choice for a starter phono rig, and I can't imagine it's 4 x better than the NAD, though it does cost 4 x as much.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 14
My NAD PP2 just arrived today. No opinion on it yet (other than it looks nice) because my cartridge isn't here yet! However, I did a bit of research and the PP2 seemed like a good choice. The price is good, NAD makes excellent gear, and I like its small size, as well. I'll be using it with a Rega Planar 3.

I don't know if you're into DIY, but there are a number of phono preamp projects out there. I've gathered many of the parts for a tube phono preamp, but I just couldn't wait to start listening to the deck.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bugles are no doubt nice, but at $400 I don't think it's a good choice for a starter phono rig, and I can't imagine it's 4 x better than the NAD, though it does cost 4 x as much.

Hi nelamvr6 :The Hagerman Bugle is a battery powered phono stage that costs $39 for the half-kit or $150 assembled.Either unit will be a slight upgrade over the NAD.The $400 Bugle Pro is not a starter phono rig as you say.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 14
Another very good phono preamp but a bit more expensive than the quite good NAD that's been recommended is the Grado PH-1. The unit is extremely easy to set up and use and you may be able find one used for around $300 - well worth the money.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi nelamvr6 :The Hagerman Bugle is a battery powered phono stage that costs $39 for the half-kit or $150 assembled.Either unit will be a slight upgrade over the NAD.The $400 Bugle Pro is not a starter phono rig as you say.

Ah, thanks for straightening me out, I must have read the web site wrong.

I have one of his FryKleaners, i like it a lot. He makes a good product, that much is for sure.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_superlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Needs:
  1. Phono Stage

I'm figuring on getting an XR-2 as phono stage. I'm trying to decide between the Raptor and HR-2 for my headphone amp.

You may want to surf audiogon for a bit I you'll be able to grab a phono pre for roughly half the price of a new one. Yes you should over buy on the phono pre, in time you probably will upgrade the cart or maybe even the table. The phono stage is extremely importatn to great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back