New Via Envy24 (i.e. Chaintech) drivers today!
Sep 17, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #16 of 31
Doesn't help with the inputs, I presume it's a hardware problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by front output / external DAC RMAA results. Chaintech AV-710 shouldn't be used as the recording device in RMAA, because the ADC is poor (no meaningful results can be obtained).

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Chaintech AV-710 shouldn't be used as the recording device in RMAA, because the ADC is poor (no meaningful results can be obtained).

Well, thats exactly what I was talking about. I'll try my DAC on another soundcard. Thanks

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
Hate to say it, but I don't believe you, because I'm running foobar through KS and that hasn't happened to me.

Then you didn't bother to read the Microsoft White Papers on it.

If those are too hard for you to find, you can read this. Written on Hydrogen Audio forums by the guy who developed the Kernel Streaming driver for Winamp. He says "using Kernel Streaming should prevent ALL other programs from using the sound device". If you are playing multiple sounds at once, your kernel streaming is not implemented properly (you may have a DAC that requires everything to come out at 48kHz, and can't directly output at 44.1kHz, which defeats the point of Kernel Streaming)

Here's the link :http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...showtopic=4569

Edit: I found the Microsoft page. It says "Note:
Using the DirectKS approach results in exclusive access to the audio device, which can break many aspects of the user experience, including disabling warning alert sounds and loss of interoperability with other audio applications."

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device.../DirectKS.mspx

Believe me now?

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
When kernel streaming is working correctly, it should interrupt the sound when another sound plays ( at least in windows )

If you don't believe me, there is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on kernel streaming that says the exact same thing (sorry no link)

Hmmm. The links you provided further down say the exact opposite of your first statement -- they say that when kernel streaming is in use, the program has exclusive access to the audio device, so no other software can play a sound at all.

But what people have complained about here is what you describe above -- when another program plays a sound, the sound from Foobar kernel streaming is interrupted and does not resume. So maybe there are implementation problems in the VIA driver?

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 31
OK, I just did a full test (with headphones this time) and there's no sign of the volume control bug, at least on my setup. Once again, I'm running XP SP2. All-in-all, I'm happy and I think I'll stick with these drivers. Unless the bug shows up, in which case I will kill Via!

Oct 7, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 31
I'm having the kernel streaming problem with foobar where a sound in windows plays, and the sound would stop in foobar.
Is there any fix/workaround so it continues playing and other sounds won't play instead?
I'm using the AV710 and 1.43d drivers.

Oct 7, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 31
I've still got some volume control bug. Basically when I move it up, it fades right, when I move it down, it goes left. Leaving it at center makes them equal. I'll try reinstalling.

Oct 7, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 31
That's a known problem. One workaround is to only use the back stereo volume controls, however if you need to adjust the master volume control then you need to switch to the 1.43d drivers.

Oct 8, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
That's a known problem. One workaround is to only use the back stereo volume controls, however if you need to adjust the master volume control then you need to switch to the 1.43d drivers.

The whatever # these are drivers I like better. It's easy for my to switch between high-quality headphone output and 4.1 output. Reminds me of my Santa Cruz in that respect. Oh well.

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #28 of 31
Edit: nvm, noticed there's already a newer thread about this, please delete this post
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back