New Via Envy24 (i.e. Chaintech) drivers today!
Sep 15, 2004 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
I don't have a Chaintech AV710 yet, but I'm contemplating getting one. While reading Mr.Radar's setup guide, I went over to the Via site and noticed that they just posted a new 3.24c driver for the Envy24 series, replacing the 3.10a version that has the master volume control bug. No sign of a changelog, unfortunately.

Just thought I should mention this for those eager to take the plunge...
eek.gif

(Sorry, looks like that link doesn't work directly -- you still need to select "Windows XP", "Audio", then "Envy 24HT-S" to get to the driver page.)

Sep 15, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 31
Well, as near as I can tell, the volume bug is gone. But anytime another sound plays in Windows, the sound in foobar cuts out (when using KS). So other than the apparent lack of volume control bug, nothing's really changed. That being said, I don't see any pressing reason to upgrade from the 1.43 drivers.

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
Well, as near as I can tell, the volume bug is gone. But anytime another sound plays in Windows, the sound in foobar cuts out (when using KS). So other than the apparent lack of volume control bug, nothing's really changed. That being said, I don't see any pressing reason to upgrade from the 1.43 drivers.

Piccolo, I had the impression that Kernel Streaming gets interrupted by Windows sound on any card, when Windows is set to use that same card as default output. From your profile, sounds like you've got an Audigy -- is it possible that when you installed the new VIA drivers, they switched the default audio output from the Audigy over to the Chaintech?

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Piccolo, I had the impression that Kernel Streaming gets interrupted by Windows sound on any card, when Windows is set to use that same card as default output. From your profile, sounds like you've got an Audigy -- is it possible that when you installed the new VIA drivers, they switched the default audio output from the Audigy over to the Chaintech?

No, it's not possible, because my Audigy isn't installed right now. Also, when the Audigy was installed, I never had the problem of kernel streaming getting interrupted. This also holds true for my 3 year old Dell laptop. Only the Chaintech does that (at least from my experience).

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 31
When kernel streaming is working correctly, it should interrupt the sound when another sound plays ( at least in windows )

If you don't believe me, there is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on kernel streaming that says the exact same thing (sorry no link)

Sep 16, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 31
Hate to say it, but I don't believe you, because I'm running foobar through KS and that hasn't happened to me.

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
Hate to say it, but I don't believe you, because I'm running foobar through KS and that hasn't happened to me.

What is the device you're using?

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 31
strange, I still have the volume bug problem. av-710 -> ms-1 + kernal streaming.

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
strange, I still have the volume bug problem

What operating system are you running? I'm on XP SP2 and I haven't experienced it. However, with the older drivers when I was running SP1, the bug was there.

Sep 17, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 31
I'm also on windows xp sp2. I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, installed, rebooted. Guess it's not fixed for me, but my ms-1s do have an imbalance problem which I should get around to sending back in if I ever feel I can live without a pair of decent cans at the computer for awhile.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 31
That's odd. Oh well, I guess I'm not really surprised. When I first installed the 3.10a drivers when I still had SP1, I didn't have the volume bug problem. But when I installed the card a second time, the problem was there. I hate Via.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back