New version of HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (external PSU) with AMP!
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 41
Hello,

New on the block here.
atsmile.gif

Has anyone purchased or even received one of these one of these little DAC/amps yet?

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 41
Hi,

I ordered one yesterday with async usb, cables and external power supply for 82€ + 34€ shipping costs from Belgium. This will be my first dac and amp. Never had one before. I will see how it will be and if it's an improvement to my Realtek Onboard Sound which I'm using now.

Regard,

Scie

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #19 of 41
Unfortunately not. I mailed them and they told me the external power supply (EU version) is not in stock and it should be available at the end of this month. So I have to wait a little bit longer :/

May 7, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #20 of 41
Interesting product, I have HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC synch and asynch version ..quite happy with the sound.

Planning to buy small amp for my DT770/250 , just curious how good sound of this product compare with let's say ; Nuforce uDAC-3 or Aune T1.

May 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 41
Subscribed.  I'd love to hear more about this.  How does it compare to something like the Schiit Modi?  Personally, I didn't hear much improvement over my sound card (SB Omni) with the Modi.  I'm curious is the famed Sabre DAC chip will make a difference...

May 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 41
I bought the Sabre U2 async a few months back, I also got the USB isolator just for laughs. I have it connect from my computer to my Graham Slee Novo. Simple setup just like most USB dac's nowadays, the only issue I have is that windows (7 64bit) sometimes forgets to load the dang thing!

When it is running I will say the sound is amazing for what it is! Compared to my Fostex HP A3 it has a slightly small sound stage but man...does it bring out the bass and mids! Instrument separation is on par with the Fostex probably even better! I'd say the Sabre U2 is has a darker, warmer sound compared to the bright and airy Fostex. Highs are sparkly and liquid whereas the Fostex was bright and a bit brittle.

Overall sound of the Sabre U2 is smooth and dark, if you like EDM/Ambient/Chillstep/Trance then you'll be feeling more emotion whist using the Sabre U2, bass is disturbingly deep and solid, female vocals/ heavy Guitar is haunting and guttural and the high's will sound sweet as honey. Mated with a darker sounding headphone like some certain Sennheiser's it's definitely dark!

I bought my Fostex for about 200 bucks whilst the Sabre U2 was under 100 bucks easy, I love both Dac's but it's hard to say which one is better! In fact I'm listening to this right now. If I can just fix the issue that I mentioned above then I'll probably stick with this or I'm tempted to go back to Hifidiy and get the Sabre U2 in a box so it can sit next to my Graham Slee Novo.

Also, try out the USB isolator if you're getting the Dac. I dare say it's a tad better but can't really be measure (placebo?!?) perhaps dark back- ground with a rounded soundstage and a tad more clarity...I don't know...I would like to hear someone else's opinion.

Headphones I tested - Alessandro MS2, Sennheiser HD202 and Fostex T50rp. (Sennheiser Momentum's to come).

Hope this helps anyone out there in HeadFi-Land.

Regards,

May 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #23 of 41
I finally received mine today after a pretty long wait. It is my first DAC+AMP and I can tell it is a huge jump from my onboard sound of my laptop!! Although I listened only 2 hours. I can't hear any background noise, just pure music. In my opionion it is a huge leap forward compared to onboard sound and for 82€ (incl. external psu + shipping costs) it is no mistake to get one.

Now I need better headphone :/

Regards,

Scie

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #24 of 41
How is the headphone amp portion of it? What headphones are you using?

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #25 of 41
I don't know how to define a good amp, yet. I use some Bose IE2 headphones and the volume knop is turned up to 40-50%, foobar to 100% with replay gain on (89db) and thats definitely loud enough for my ears.

May 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #26 of 41
Thanks, doesn't sound like it would much oomph for larger headphones. Hard to beat a desktop DAC with RCA at that pricerange though, might have to buy one.

May 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #28 of 41
hhhmmm.... interested in one of these....

not much specs on the AMP portion though... what's the output impedance on the headphone out?

According to Hifimediy, around 0.1 ohms. Output power seems really low though.

May 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #29 of 41
According to Hifimediy, around 0.1 ohms. Output power seems really low though.

where did you find this information?

it's not on their official store page:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_73&product_id=87

i'm just wondering if it can provide adequate damping for my headphones

May 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #30 of 41
where did you find this information?

it's not on their official store page:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_73&product_id=87

i'm just wondering if it can provide adequate damping for my headphones

Asked through the contact form. Here's the full reply:

[The output impedance of the headphone amp is around 0.1ohm. The direct es9023 output is much higher. Still, the direct output from the es9023 chip does sound very good with many headphones.
The headphone amp output is 2Vrms, down to 16 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back