New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #76 of 208
The “Hi-Res” gold sticker means at least 44.1/24-bit (or, any value of ‘better then CD-quality’).. wait, uhh, how does that work on cans? :p
Exactly. :thinking::confused:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #77 of 208
I think that nice looking but completely empty high-res sticker in this case only means, the headphone can reproduce audio for dogs, i.e. far beyond 20kHz. That may say something about impulse response, but still I think its only marketing.

Regarding the Master: I've received my unit after some infight with UPS and have to say, it still feels (and mostly looks) like other V-Moda models. The pads are much more comfortable than the old version, but I already knew them from my CF2/CF2 Codex. First impression is much more controlled bass. Not less I'd say, and certainly satisfying, but clearer than I hear the Codex (I sacrificed the M-100 for the Master). Mids and treble are more present, voices are nicely rendered with a touch of softness applied. It does reach quite deep, but still seems to put the emphasis on midbass (i.e. more hit than growl).

I mostly listened from my AK380, but when using my Hugo, I had to turn the volume all the way down... quite sensitive drivers.

Overall I like them. I've had many hours of fun with the original M-100, lets see what its successor does for me.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #78 of 208
Well...for those of you who are fans of the original M-100 (as I've been for the last 4 1/2 years since buying my first pair)...I have some bad news. :disappointed_relieved:

9940966_l.jpg

9940967_l.jpg

My question to V-Moda (sent by e-mail) was the following:

I'm curious to know how much longer the original M-100 will still be in production by V-Moda. V-Moda doesn't plan on discontinuing the original M-100 anytime soon, do they?

And so, within two days, I received a reply:

--------------------------------
Hi Joe,

There are no current plans for additional production of the original M-100 version.

Rock On,
David
V-MODA Customer Service

---------------------------------
So there you have it. Whatever inventory V-Moda still has in stock of the original M-100 (and I'm also assuming regarding the original Crossfade Wireless, as well)...is all they have left.

So if you prefer the sound of the old series and you'd like to stock up on some fresh, unopened pairs with a warranty, then it might be a good idea to buy 'em now like they're goin' outta style. :frowning:

(Well...look at the bright side: at least V-Moda's method of discontinuing them isn't corrupt like the method Apple used when they discontinued the iPod Classic five years ago; thank goodness!)

Anyway, here's more information from the "FAQ" section of V-Moda's website, comparing the different types of headphones:

9940968_l.jpg

It says...

---------------------------------
WHAT’S THE SOUND DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CROSSFADE 2 WIRELESS, CROSSFADE WIRELESS, CROSSFADE M‑100 AND CROSSFADE M-100 MASTER?

While Crossfade Wireless and Crossfade M‑100 share the same driver, Crossfade Wireless have been tuned differently due to the internal VAMP amplifier. Crossfade Wireless is perceived as more “bass heavy” than Crossfade M-100. Crossfade 2 Wireless feature a new driver with Japanese CCAW coil which enables them to support Hi-Res Audio in wired mode.

Crossfade M-100 Master share the same driver as Crossfade 2 Wireless, but have been tuned differently for a more sophisticated pure analog sound signature, ideal for music production and live mixing.

----------------------------------
Well, since I live in China, I'm faced with a dilemma. None of the local shops around here sell any V-Moda products. And with online purchases, there's a product value limit of $150 USD that I'm allowed to import into China (by personal mail order)...without using an expensive import-agent service from Alibaba.com.

So I can't just order the new M-100 model from V-Moda (in Los Angeles) for a "test drive" and then send it back to them after (probably) realizing I don't like it as much as the original M-100 model.

And with the original M-100, I'd also like to have whatever warranty I can get (which is typically just one year from the reputable online V-Moda sellers in China), since after two years on average, one of my M-100 drivers tends to eventually wear out and get blown, due to the powerful sub-bass of my app and portable rig.

I'd like to have it covered under warranty where I live, in case I get a pair that turns out to be a lemon (which blows after just a few months). And I'd also prefer not to risk getting a fake pair on Taobao.com, since a knockoff probably couldn't handle my app and rig, either!

At this point...I'm thinking that after receiving my paycheck next month, I'll go ahead and buy two pair of the original M-100 from the reputable Chinese site, and then start using them right away -- while relegating all my current pairs to "spare-tire status." This way, I can make sure the two new pairs aren't lemons (during the first year), and can feel secure that my whole big stash of M-100s can last for many years into the future. :ok_hand:

(BTW, I've been keeping a spare iPod Classic in my local bank safe for almost 4 years now, and have plenty of replacement batteries on hand for the iPod I use all the time. And thank goodness that Cayin still makes the C5!)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #80 of 208
Well...I'm feeling a little better today, as I realized that the reputable online V-Moda retailers in China (i.e., the one on JingDong, and the one on Tmall) probably won't sell out of the original M-100 anytime soon -- and probably not for many years.

And check out this brand-new review of the new M-100 model on YouTube, posted within the last day. He says there's more bass than on the old one, and that it sounds "less flat" than the old M-100.

But, of course, he probably isn't doing extreme EQ'ing and amping with them as I do, so there's still no telling how much better or worse the new model will perform with my portable setup, versus the old M-100.

So because I'm no longer in a rush to stock up at this moment, I'll go ahead and wait for the new M-100 to become available in China so I can test drive it. If I don't like it any better than my old M-100s (with my setup), then I'll send it back to the online retailer, exchange it for two pair of the old M-100, and pay the difference in the total price.

But if I actually like the new model better, then not only will I order a second pair of the new kind (for my dual-listening setup), but I'll also have to put out two new sets of DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets to match the sound signature of the new M-100! :astonished:

I'd have to figure out the "adjustment formula" to modify the presets, as I did in April 2015 when upgrading from a FiiO E12A...to a Cayin C5...in which the bass-boost switches had different sound signatures. I guess it'd be the same story for this, as well, but...this is all speculation at this point.

I'm still not convinced the new M-100s have any better sub-bass sensitivity and sub-bass SPL capability than the old ones, but am willing to give 'em a try when I see them for sale on JingDong or Tmall, and then decide accordingly.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #82 of 208
Looks like V-Moda are selling renaming all inventory and my guess is they are on the way out. 12-18 months and the V-Moda name will be gone.

Do you have a source for that? If this is true, then will it just be Roland?

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #83 of 208
the V-Moda name will be gone.

Well, V-Moda's name certainly is no longer listed as a Head-Fi sponsor. (And Roland's name is also nowhere to be found on the list, either.) I remember 2-to-3 years ago when V-Moda was one of Head-Fi's biggest sponsors, and when Val Kolton and other V-Moda reps would frequent the topic threads on Head-Fi and answer people's questions. Not anymore.

It's also mind-boggling that V-Moda won't be exhibiting at CanJam London this weekend, in spite of the fact that they've just launched a product update of their legendary M-100 headphone!

So I'm not sure if "the V-Moda name will be gone" anytime soon or not, but V-Moda is sure acting like it. :sleeping:

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #84 of 208
I think this only signifies a shift in target audience, more to that of Roland, I.e. professional audio (which the M-100 targeted anyway).

I don't know if that's due to Roland getting involved, but for sure Val is missed. Yet I don't care if V-Moda is present here as long as their products stay at their current quality level or get even better -- which I see the new Master as an indication of. I enjoy pro audio products and welcome V-Moda transitioning there.

Jul 28, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #85 of 208
Here's a really "weird nightmare" daydream I just thought of, which goes like this:

A. I eventually get a chance to listen to the new M-100s, but still like the sound of my old M-100s better.

B. V-Moda gets fully acquired by Roland, and the V-Moda name goes away.

C. The then-Roland M-100 Masters don't sell as well as expected, and production is scaled way back.

D. In the coming years, Beats comes out with a new portable, over-the-ear headphone that folds up, is durable, and comes with a nice, small, rigid carrying case...that sounds better than the original M-100! (That is, in terms of my tastes.)

E. Almost everyone on Head-Fi immediately starts hating me like scum because I switched to Beats. :astonished:

F. I go to a Head-Fi meetup to show off my portable dual-listening setup with my app, but now no one wants to listen to it because I have Beats! :sob:

Ha ha...Anyway, have any of you ever had any weird "headphone nightmares" before...that you've dreamt of at night or daydreamed? If so, share 'em here and we can all have a nice giggle.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #87 of 208
I'm still getting over the nightmare of paying 360AUD for the Roland M100 Aira and finding out they are absolute garbage - just like the V-Moda M100's. Then another nightmare when I realized everyone else knew they where crap and had to nearly give them away.

The most unpleasant experience in my headphone journey ever.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #88 of 208
I was always interested in the original M100 but due to reports and reviews about their signature I knew they weren't for me so I skipped on them. Also at 300 Euro they were overpriced in my opinion.
They sold over 500.000 units though so they can't be all that bad.... can they?
Anyway more impressions are very appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #89 of 208
I was always interested in the original M100 but due to reports and reviews about their signature I know they weren't for me so I skipped on them. Also at 300 Euro they were overpriced in my opinion.
They sold over 500.000 units though so they can't be all that bad.... can they?
Anyway more impressions are very appreciated.

Yeah, I'm still curious to see what more legit reviewers say. I know I like mine, but I don't really have a good catalog of products to compare them to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back