New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #32 of 208
Has V-moda said anything about how the bass compares to the old version? Are these supposed to be more neutral?

I don't know, but am starting to wonder if these new M-100s are just a wired-only version of the Crossfade Wireless 2. :rolling_eyes:

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #33 of 208
On the website that they said "Featuring a sophisticated sound signature and unparalleled clarity from the deepest bass to the sharpest highs, your sound will be so vibrant and detailed, you can practically touch it."

I wouldn't mind if they switched around how the bass peaks and sounds in the lower regions, but nor would I mind if it stayed the same. I just dont wan't something tamed down towards reference style.

It seems like they are still committed to a somewhat V-Shaped sound for the M100, emphasizing only the "deepest bass to the sharpest highs" lol. They say "vibrant" too, which means colored to me. Hopefully this is good news for bassheads who like some clarity.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #35 of 208
I think V-Moda gets way too much mindless disrespect here, keeping in mind the product focus. Val is quite transparent about how his company approaches their products, market-wise. I don't want to go too far OT, but I have nothing good to say about V-Moda's build quality and fulfilling their vision from the V-Moda products I own (XS and M80). I think the XS is an exceptional portable on-ear headphone. This comes from a Beyerdynamic/HifiMan/Final Audio fan. Tyll's assessment of the XS is spot-on.

I may be interested in the M100 Master, but I am waiting for reviews. If it is an over-ear XS, well, Val will likely be getting some of my cash...

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 208
I think V-Moda gets way too much mindless disrespect here, keeping in mind the product focus. Val is quite transparent about how his company approaches their products, market-wise. I don't want to go too far OT, but I have nothing good to say about V-Moda's build quality and fulfilling their vision from the V-Moda products I own (XS and M80). I think the XS is an exceptional portable on-ear headphone. This comes from a Beyerdynamic/HifiMan/Final Audio fan. Tyll's assessment of the XS is spot-on.

I may be interested in the M100 Master, but I am waiting for reviews. If it is an over-ear XS, well, Val will likely be getting some of my cash...

I think it's a good call waiting for reviews. But, I mean, when is it not?
I actually snagged one of the last M100's I mentioned above to see how they compare. I can share my thoughts afterwards, but I don't have the most critical ear, so I'm not sure how useful they'll be.

So far, I have to say I really do like the M100 Master. They have a nice warm smooth quality to them that feels detailed enough, without taking itself too seriously.
I find they're best for EDM of course, but I have just as much fun listening to "Where's the drop" as I do "While (1<2)".
The substantial nature of the bass and sub-bass gives a fullness to "Savant on mushrooms" while not overpowering the rest of the sound.
I have to note, though, that I've found myself itching for more midrange in certain songs, but they were few and far between so I can't remember any at the moment.

In a nutshell, without listening to the vanilla M100's, I'd have to say the M100 Master probably has my favorite sound signature out of everything I've listened to in the recent past.

The overall build is typical v-moda, and the presentation/design is also very nice.

My only problem with them really, is comfort. I previously had a pair of Sony WH1000xM3's that were ungodly comfortable. The M100 Master is a bit of a step back and to the side. It's not uncomfortable, but I don't forget that they're on my head.

Can't speak to the XS or M80 though. I've never tried any v-moda on-ears before.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #37 of 208
I absolutely love the sound of almost all of the V-MODA headphones (sans the original LP/LP2), so I'm interested in some comparisons to the Master. I can't imagine they sound that much different...just seems like a new package w/ some slightly different earpads (in between stock and XL) which is where the change in sound comes from. I'd love to be proven wrong and that the technical abilities of the headphone have improved but I'm skeptical. I'll probably end up ordering a pair...but it will be hard to believe they are more comfortable than the MDR-1AM2 that I currently use as my wired over the ear. So light, so comfy. :)

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 208
I hope they focus on their quality control. So many M100’s had cracks, shipped with scratches and dents. The factory they made them in, in China probably didn’t have a keen eye for that sort of thing.

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #40 of 208
So far, I have to say I really do like the M100 Master. They have a nice warm smooth quality to them that feels detailed enough, without taking itself too seriously.
I find they're best for EDM of course, but I have just as much fun listening to "Where's the drop" as I do "While (1<2)".
The substantial nature of the bass and sub-bass gives a fullness to "Savant on mushrooms" while not overpowering the rest of the sound.
I have to note, though, that I've found myself itching for more midrange in certain songs, but they were few and far between so I can't remember any at the moment.

In a nutshell, without listening to the vanilla M100's, I'd have to say the M100 Master probably has my favorite sound signature out of everything I've listened to in the recent past.

That's pretty much how I would describe my standard M100s. Lots of bass without being too bassy and occasionally missing the midrange on specific tracks. I feel like you can EQ to get the midrange back, though. Based on another review I saw somewhere it sounds like these are just M100s with new ear cushions. Now if they sold those ear cushions separately...

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #41 of 208
That's pretty much how I would describe my standard M100s. Lots of bass without being too bassy and occasionally missing the midrange on specific tracks. I feel like you can EQ to get the midrange back, though. Based on another review I saw somewhere it sounds like these are just M100s with new ear cushions. Now if they sold those ear cushions separately...

I'm a little displeased with the lack of legitimate comparison to the original m100 in the two reviews I've seen so far.

And the sound guys review that I linked to makes mention of the m100 master pads being the same as the xl pads, which I believe is false.

Imo, the m100 master pads feel somewhere in between the default og m100 and the xl pads.

My roommate has an lp2 with xl pads and they feel bigger than the pads on the m100 master.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #42 of 208
I'm a little displeased with the lack of legitimate comparison to the original m100 in the two reviews I've seen so far.

And the sound guys review that I linked to makes mention of the m100 master pads being the same as the xl pads, which I believe is false.

Imo, the m100 master pads feel somewhere in between the default og m100 and the xl pads.

My roommate has an lp2 with xl pads and they feel bigger than the pads on the m100 master.

I'm guessing we'll get better comparisons as more reviews come out. These guys are probably just getting the reviews out as fast as possible.

My main problem with the XL pads is that they don't fit very well in the case. They're under constant compression when the headphones are folded up and I feel like that breaks down the foam (which doesn't look like proper "memory foam" to me) quickly.

Right now I can wear my XLs for 2-3 hours before my ears start hurting. With breaks, I sometimes wear them for 5-6 hours a day and that's OK-ish. One time I left them in the case for like 2 days straight and they were immediately uncomfortable when I put them on again. They did expand again eventually, though.

If the new pads use a more durable memory foam and are only just slightly smaller than the XL pads, I might be into that. They could even be thicker than my XLs after a few months of use. Or maybe I just have big ears. I honestly don't know.

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #43 of 208
Are you sure? The topic thread for the original M-100s has been running for 7 years, and has more than 20,000 posts.

Or, do you mean that more people on Head-Fi dislike them than like them?
Sorry for the late response. They are very popular headphones for sure. I see them out and about as portable cans quite frequently, and a lot of DJ's use them. I more meant they're not popular amongst the high-end section of the audiophile community.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #44 of 208
https://www.techhive.com/article/3409088/v-moda-m100-crossfade-master-review.html

Just read this review, and the sound guys review. Disappointed in V-moda, however at least I know which direction I need to head in myself, without having to contemplate it for another month. I am going to buy the old version new on sale. Sounds like they made the new version more reference sounding, which is fine, but it's not for me.

V-Moda, hit me up when you bring a bass cannon to the market. Otherwise, peace out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back