New User needs Amp Help!
Apr 27, 2006 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Marados

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been lurking on the boards for quite some time now, and I finally decided to register
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I've got 2 questions, and I'd be really pleased if someone could answer them:

1: Could my computer acting as a source power a pair of AKG K340s?
2: If not, could anyone advise an amp for (preferably) $100 or under?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Popular amps around here for less than $100 are:

Go-Vibe $70
PA2V2 $70
cMoy $20-$40

But I have no idea whether or not they would do with a k340. I imagine those require quite a bit of juice. If so, your best bet out of those three is the Go-Vibe, since it has a high-voltage design.

You could also look into having someone build you a PIMETA, which runs about $100. I don't know much about these.

If you can stretch your budget to $150, HeadRoom's Total Airhead amp is a good choice also.
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...al-airhead.php
Also comes in a clear case.

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 7
The K340s are VERY difficult to drive properly. While they probably can be driven with some of the sub $100.00 amps you will most likely not be getting their best. I power mine with a Dynahi and even this powerful amp has to be turned above 1:00 to really provide the best sound. I have heard them through several other amps but I cannot comment directly on any sub $100 amps as I have never tried the K340s with any of them. I have run the K340s directly out of my PowerMac and found them to sound good but nothing compared to the headhone when it is properly amped as it can sound very good with the right amp. Good luck.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah thanks for the info, spinner.

So it looks like it may be more cost-effective to save up for a better amp, depending on when you were planning on upgrading. Then again, if you get an amp now, it'll make you want to upgrade sooner.
biggrin.gif

My advice is that if your heart is set on the k340 and your budget is really stuck where it is, get an amp for now (look into the PIMETA or Go-Vibe) and start saving up for the big momma. You should be able to sell the amp later for most of what you pay for it.

Or you could pick another 'phone that's easier to drive (the k240S comes to my mind, if you want AKG) and stick with what you have now, then get the k340 and the amp together or something.

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 7
I think using the K340s with your computer headphone jacks while you save up for one of the amps capable of driving the k340s properly as ilovesocks recommends is probably a good idea. They will sound fine this way but don't listen to them through a big amp or you will be forced to sell a kidney or something as these are very impressive, especially after modifications. The Dynahi or maybe an M3 or if you really save well the balanced B52 that Ray Samuels is coming out with that sounded very good with balanced K340s should all match nicely with the K340s. I have heard that the Singlepower amps are a nice match as well but I have never heard that combination.

That being said one of the great things about Head-fi is that the selling pages are so active giving the people the ability to try amps and then turn them over to another member if they don't work out for minimal loss. Buying a decent 100 dollar amp now could give you a decent stop gap that could be sold later when or if you decide to upgrade.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd look into the DIY amps. Something like a Dynalo can be brought in aorund $100-$120 or so, and you don't have to buy all the parts at the same time.

Even if you've never soldered before, there's a nice step-by-step guide to the Dynalo and you've got a great resource: the Head-Fi DIY discussion forums. A lot of us have built them, and we'll be happy to answer your questions.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 7
I agree that the dynalo seems like the best option for the AKG K340s while still staying fairly close to your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back