New use for my Asus Eee PC701 4G
Nov 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

damnbiker

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, long time lurker here, thanks to this forum I've already spent far too much of my hard earned money and now I'm thinking about trying something a little different.  I realize that there is a computer audio forum but, like I said, I'm thinking about something a little different.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Cowon X7, J3 or S9.  Ideally I would like a portable jukebox.  I'm not interested in getting an iPod classic because of the file type restrictions.  I'd like to be able to load my music collection as FLAC onto a single device used mostly at work.

Size isn't terribly important to me (to a degree) since I'd be using this at my desk at work for the most part, I am interested in sound quality which is why I have been considering the Cowon line.  Then it occurred to me, I already have something capable of playing any file format that I can dream of and capable of long battery play back time - with some modifications.  My old, and hardly ever used Eee PC701 4G.  My only real concern is the sound quality issue.

With a few modifications my old Eee PC (running Ubuntu) can be modified to hold up to 256 GB which should be more than enough to hold my music collection.If I were to couple this with a high quality USB DAC would it be possible for my Eee PC to get sound quality that could rival one of these Cowon players?  Would I need a good portable amp with this set up?  I have been looking at the Headstage USB DAC and Arrow amp.

I'd be driving Sennheiser HD555, Shure SRH440 or Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b headphones (if I'm traveling).

Currently I'm using a Rockboxed 8GB Sansa Clip + with a couple of 8GB micro SDHC cards.  Do you think a USB DAC on my 'crappy lappy' would surpass the SQ of the Clip + or would it be just as useful for me to carry around my music library with me and just load it to the Sansa?

Am I over complicating things?

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Well I mean getting a dac and amp(you would have to either gwet the combo amp/dac or both separate) would give you better sound quality than the headphone out on the computer, but the price might be a problem.

Areyou looking to keep it stationary or are you going to br taking it from place to place? And how much money are you willing to spend?

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 5
I use my eeePC as a portable source, usually in a messenger bag, with the iBasso D2+ in USB DAC mode stashed in the cell phone pocket on the bag's shoulder strap allowing easy volume adjustments.

Sounds fantastic, best sound I've ever had walking around.

The 9 cell battery  gives me 12 hours of tunes driving the USB DAC and Ultrasone 580's, more if the music is on a SD card.

Thinking of adding one of these http://us.kensington.com/html/13881.html to complete the setup.

Work (and play) often means carrying a netbook around with me, makes sense to use it as an audio component.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm looking for a new source, and considering a netbook.  One can get a used netbook for what a nice refurbished iPod 5.5G goes for, and have at least USB digital out, if not optical as well  I think the OP is onto a good thing.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 5
^ yea that's definitely a good idea if you aren't planning on going mobile with the rig; mobile waning to the park or on walks mind you. Loading a net book up with lossless files and outputting to a dac and amp combo will give great sound; better than most portables at around the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back