New USB-DAC! Silverstone Ensemble EB01!
Feb 16, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #76 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr
I have an 8600 and use whatever model docking station it uses. I have an external lcd monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and ipod docking station plugged into it, so it would be a real pain to hook all that junk up every day.

Of course I was exagerating a bit, because it depends on the user. I have desktops for most of that stuff and prefer the 1400x1050 lcd on my laptop - and I use it in a recliner, so all I usually plug in is the power, sometimes a card reader or dac/amp
smily_headphones1.gif
I just find it absurd that the modern $200 "docking station" is little better than the old $50 port replicators 8 years ago.

I also don't think it's particularly sensible to use a laptop as a primary work machine when you drag it around daily, and connect to untrusted networks, but with personal preferences, and being in IT in a health care environment, there are good reasons (including legal) I feel that way.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, enough OT.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #77 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by miziq
First of all. EB01 does not works on apple os x. I contacted the head office at Sileverstonetek, but answer didn't came jet. When i spoke with german distributor for Europe, he said that it's compatible with mac. My ibook doesn't recognize it at all. Be aware apple fans! I'll post the update as soon i got new info.

I just hooked mine up to my MacMini and it works fine. It shows up in the sound preferences as a Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702 device.

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #78 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr
I just hooked mine up to my MacMini and it works fine.

How does it sound?

How does it compare to, say, E-MU 0404?

Please, someone shed some light on this...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #81 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Ooo, my EB01 just arrived, glad I opted for the black, very nice looking case
smily_headphones1.gif
Now to see how it sounds....

Let us know how it compares to your Micro DAC.

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #82 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
Let us know how it compares to your Micro DAC.

Indeed, I will spend a good deal of time with both this weekend before I post anything. As I listen to more gear I'm becoming a staunch believer in long term impressions over short term.
smily_headphones1.gif

This thing is heavier than I expected. Very solid build.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #83 of 119
I hope one of you can help me. I went ahead and disabled the mixer as instructed a couple of pages back. However then iTunes would not put out any music. I mean I would select a song in iTunes tell it to play and although the speaker symbos would show on the left of the song name no sound comes thru. Even the graphic equalizer on top does not move up and down.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #84 of 119
Simple re-enable your mixer.

Like I hinted in my disclaimer, you can't expect everything to work perfectly, that is why the mixer is there. It is just like when you run in ASIO or kernel streaming mode, you need to make sure the audio data that gets to the hardware is in the correct format that your hardware can *natively* handle. In some cases you have no flexibility in that matter (i.e. iTunes).

It appears you can just use the latest version of ASIO4ALL. Unfortunately...I don't think iTunes has ASIO support. So same issue. foobar gives you pretty exacting ability to specify how you want your output and I've gotten no-mixer playback working there (which is moot since I just go ahead and use ASIO). But the no-mixer approach is only useful if you have no ASIO support whatsoever (and the player spits out audio output for which the non-kmixed result is still compatible with the hardware).

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #85 of 119
I haven't tried it with ASIO, but the Multi-Plugin plugin for Windows iTunes allows you to direct playback through foobar. Link. I assume that won't work with m4p files.

I will say one thing, this dac was an appropriate purchase for my work setup. I can now use this with my xin supermini-III - huge improvement over the bithead. Feels funny to pamper my frankensenns like this though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #86 of 119
devwild, got pics? This price sure is enticing...

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #87 of 119
I ran into two problems while using trying out ASIO4ALL.

One, my computer kept restarting whenever I tried to open a4apanel.exe or play a file in foobar after configuring asio4all. I found the culprit to be the WDM drivers for my ATI AIW card. I fixed it by going to the device manager and disabling every ATI WDM codec thingy. I have no idea why this works, why it conflicted in the first place, how I figured it out and I don't care. No more restarts and ASIO is working.

Second problem, I was getting play back problems on some music files. The music went on and off like it was desyncing. It was choppy. I found out that it was only music from one of my harddrives that was suffering. So I figure I'd defrag it. Problem still there. Then I try messing around with the buffer like the ASIO4All instructional manual says.

Quote:

2. ASIO Buffer Size
Use the slider to adjust the ASIO buffer size for the device currently highlighted. Smaller buffer size
means lower latency. Once you hear crackles or audio becomes distorted, you need to increase the buffer
size. ASIO buffer size directly relates to audio latency. Thus, you want to get a rather small value here.

No good.
frown.gif

Don't ask me how I figured out how to fix it. I have three harddrives and a DVDburner on this PC. The settings are

Master 1. C:- Music, no prob
Slave 1. D: - Choppy Music
Master 2 E:, - OS F:
Slave 2 G: DVD

I changed the configuration to

Master 1 - C: OS
Slave 1 - D: Music no problem
Master 2 - E: Choppy music
Slave 2 - G: DVD

And that did the trick.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately, I had to reconfigure and reinstall alot of programs. No biggie. Music is playing like it should. I'm happy.

It looks like there's more to configure.

Do I want to disable the EB01 from K-mixer? If I do that... I won't be able to hear anything from the eb01 in Zoomplayer unless there's some sort of ASIO plugin for that. I don't think there is...

Buffer Settings, shift channel, tread priority?

Quote:

Naturally, you would make sure that all inputs are disabled, set the ASIO buffer size to the maximum and
be happy!

(From the ASIO4all manual)

Do I need to resample?

Quote:

Obviously, in this scenario you do need inputs. But, as always, you should disable all channels you do not
want to use. Disable 44.1KHz resampling if it is not really necessary!

I suppose if I had songs in 48 kHz I would...
confused.gif

There's also the volume control for FOOBar's DSP. I took everything off the list. Should I have 44.1 hKz resampling like on this guide and disable the resampling in the a4all control panel?

The asio control panel shows "Beyond Logic" when I have a song playing, but when nothings playing, it's on running mode.

Quote:

“Beyond Logic” - You get this if the device for some unknown reason refuses to start and/or displays
erratic behavior of any kind. Sometimes, closing and re-opening the control panel may cure the situation,
as may unplugging and re-inserting of USB devices. Sometimes, this can also mean the same as
“Unavailable”, whenever the device does not report its current availability or the lack thereof back to
ASIO4ALL.

Dunno what that means, doesn't seem like a big deal. I mean it's working...

Someone hurry up and mod this dac. After modding my 0404 with blackgates, I was very impressed, so I can't wait to hear an eb01 after mods.
icon10.gif

I'd love to make some comparisons, but my equipment is all over the place and my trusty 650's need to be repaired. That and my mind is probably plagued by placebo from reading so much about equipment
eek.gif
I would copy what everyone else says so I don't feel like a "dumbass". I'm just a neophyte, so I will hold back from posting my opinions. I seriously need to find a place to audition everything. My route is to buy everything and hear things for myself. A long and expensive route.
frown.gif
but enjoyable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #88 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc
I'd love to make some comparisons, but my equipment is all over the place and my trusty 650's need to be repaired. That and my mind is probably plagued by placebo from reading so much about equipment
eek.gif
I would copy what everyone else says so I don't feel like a "dumbass". I'm just a neophyte, so I will hold back from posting my opinions. I seriously need to find a place to audition everything. My route is to buy everything and hear things for myself. A long and expensive route.
frown.gif
but enjoyable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh I know exactly how that feels, having had my EMU1212M after a long wait
smily_headphones1.gif
placebo goes both ways, sometimes I get my hopes up too much after reading all the praises, then get mildly upset about the medicre findings
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back