New Um2
Apr 14, 2005 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

johnmatrix

100+ Head-Fier
I just recieved my new um2 and I am loving them. However, they are a little noisy from my H320 even at a volume of 5. Is there anything other than an 120 ohm adapter or p->s cable that would help. Something I could most likely pick up locally would be nice(I don't want to wait!).

Also, I noticed that this cable is braided and silver. I heard something about westone switching to a new cable because their clear one was turning green or something like that.

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
I just recieved my new um2 and I am loving them. However, they are a little noisy from my H320 even at a volume of 5. Is there anything other than an 120 ohm adapter or p->s cable that would help. Something I could most likely pick up locally would be nice(I don't want to wait!).

Also, I noticed that this cable is braided and silver. I heard something about westone switching to a new cable because their clear one was turning green or something like that.

I have although thought about getting an ohmed adapter. I usually listen to the um2's on my karma at a volume of 1-3. Sometimes I find vol. 1 too loud, too. It could possibly affect the sound too.

I had not heard anything about westone switching cables. As far as I know, all of them have a tendency to turn green. Do you have a picture so we could see if it's indeed different?

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 16
I will try to scare up a camera , but I don't I think I will be able to. Perhaps if someone else could post a pic of their um2.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 16
um2-1.jpg

portable.jpg

Do the cables look like that? Sorry about the blurry photos.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 16
If this is true, I wonder if Westone will extend the warranty for those of us with the older style cable? I've had mine since around January I think, and my cable hasn't turned green yet [size=xx-small]*crosses fingers*[/size]

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 16
If I am not mistaken the cables in headphones turning green is usualy the copper in the wire oxydizing. If this is indead what is happening with the UM2's cable I would be interested to find out if the oxydization of the cable causes any degredation of signal quality through said cable.

I would think that it would be unavoidable for the oxydization to damage the quality of the signal through the cable. I do have a weak recolection of someone once saying that it was only unsightly & didn't degrade signal purity.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 16
That cable is the same one as mine. So, I guess westone has not made the change.
My quick and dirty impressions of the um2 are they are more detailed than the er6, but have a more full sound. The treble is simply not as pronounced so the detail in the treble range is not as obvious. The comfort of the um2 is head and shoulders above the er6. The comply tips are made of much better foam than the etys and I like how the driver housing fits right in the ear.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

I just recieved my new um2 and I am loving them. However, they are a little noisy from my H320 ..

Hm, with my UM2s, I don't hear much background noise on my H140. Now I'm wondering if the H320 is noisier. I was thinking about getting one.

Anyway, my P to S converter helps cut out some background, but I only
use it on my cheap noisey amps (or on the ER4P)

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

A few different ideas are in the works, but a definite direction has not yet been set. It will be at the very least several months before their solution to the greening cable is finalized.

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
Hm, with my UM2s, I don't hear much background noise on my H140. Now I'm wondering if the H320 is noisier. I was thinking about getting one.

Anyway, my P to S converter helps cut out some background, but I only
use it on my cheap noisey amps (or on the ER4P)

Actually, now the noise has gone away. I will post again if it somes back. I will post more detailed impressions on the um2 at the end of weekend after spending some time with them.

Now I am beginning to hear a veil. However, they are not boring like the senn's. I could only listen to those for a few minutes.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 16
I've paid attention to the 'greening' effect on the UM2 cable, and I've read that it does not change the quality of the cable, and the sound does not degrade in quality. You'd be more likely to create too much stress on the cable or fray the wiring inside and have it replaced for that reason before the cable begins to audibly deteriorate.

At least, that's what I think...
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Using the ER4p to ER4s converter on my UM2's got rid of the hiss when I used my Total Bithead, but it also got rid of some of the high end detail as well. Since the bithead has two headphone out puts it was real easy to do quick A/B comparisons with and without the converter.

Apr 15, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 16
It might be better to get an amp with a volume knob and a low gain. So that way, you can get better control of the volume and better detail. Always one more thing.
icon10.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrenduro
Using the ER4p to ER4s converter on my UM2's got rid of the hiss when I used my Total Bithead, but it also got rid of some of the high end detail as well. Since the bithead has two headphone out puts it was real easy to do quick A/B comparisons with and without the converter.

I would have expected that- you'll lower the noise floor when you increase impedance to your heaphones, be it Westones, Etymotics, or whatever. That hiss is your noise floor, and quieter it gets, the 'lower' it is. Although I wonder why it would roll off the upper end...

etysmile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back