New UE super.fi 5Pro - distorted treble?
Jul 2, 2007 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

funnycaff

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've just splashed out a lot of money on a pair of UE Super.Fi 5Pro headphones - I've tested them gently and with a medium volume, and I've noticed the treble is causing a lot of distortion (like a blown speaker?!), particularly notable and horrible in classical stuff like Rachmaninov's piano concertos.

I've tried on several devices including my marantz amp and compared against a cheapy pair of Creative's and my sennheiser 650's and there's definitely something wrong... is this a known issue, or have I been unlucky and need to get them replaced?

thanks

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 11
The Super.Fi 5 Pros have a notable peak in the high frequencies, but that shouldn't be distorting them as heavily as you describe. I would chalk it as a possible defective unit.

Jul 2, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
At first I thought it was isolated to the right ear - but now I've confirmed it's definitely in both, which seems odd for a new pair.

These were bought new from Amazon.co.uk, but I'm suspicious these have had a previous owner who has been a bit trigger happy with their amplifier.

It's the same vibrating distortion effect as an old pair of headphones I once damaged by accidentally leaving them plugged into a very high volume amp.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 11
first if all, if you bought a new pair and gut a used one, complain,

if they are new, burn them in for a couple of days, but from what you describe, it could be a manufacturing defect, try to return them,

if they are 2nd hand, well, thats one of the risks you run when buying 2nd hand audio equipment, the previous owner could have been a brute, see if you can get a refund

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Definitely 'as new' from Amazon - but there's something wrong.

I'm returning them - a shame, as the sound quality does sound very good and these are well made, but I'm sure I just got unlucky.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 11
I have not heard of many of this, or any UE model with blown drivers as they are pretty robust.

UE has some of the best customer service in the industry and I am sure they will make it right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back