New Tweak from Mapleshade
Mar 14, 2003 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

arrowmark

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an ionoclast ion generator. It neutralizes the static that builds up on your CD's.It works very well.Increases treble clarity and soundstage space. Another great Tweak from Mapleshade!!!!

Mar 18, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 19
cds don't hold static charge.

and even if they did, a cd's "head" is optical, not magnetic.

maybe if you use the ion generator on a good book, you'd be able to read it faster....... or maybe if you use it on your headphones, a veil would be lifted and everything would be clearer.... better hi-end, better imaging, better soundstage.... etc. try it and let me know.

just kidding dude.
wink.gif
they ripped you off... remember, "mapleshade" is made up of two words, one a tree, and another word that has a darker connotation....... think "shady."

Mar 18, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Totally agree on the ion generator stuff. Sharper Image has been pushing that idea for way too long. The technology puts out OZONE. Which, while it blocks uv rays up in space, is BAD FOR YOU TO BREATHE. While most of these put out very little of it, how does one respond to the fact that an "air purifyer"(the most common implementation of this technology) is putting out carcinogenic ozone?

And while I don't know whether CDs holds a static charge or not(I know that polycarbonate does, but perhaps the data material grounds it?), they are optical, not magnetic.

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 19
The Bedini Ultra-Clarifier works. I don't pretend to know why. But it does. (Static remover for CD).

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 19
The Bedini Ultra-Clarifier most likely does absolutely nothing, but the placebo effect may improve sound perception significantly.

As soon as you touch a charged CD with your hand, its static charge will dissipate into your body (which acts as a ground). Unless you're holding CDs with some kind of insulated glove before you put them in your CD player, it won't have a static charge once it ends up in the CD player. Doesn't anyone remember Physics 102 laboratory experiments?

In any event, it's easy to build a charge-measuring device that will let you determine empirically whether any of these devices do anything at all. Take a straw, tie a thread to the middle, add small pith balls at the ends, then hang it up. A charged item will either attract or repel the pith balls when brought into close proximity with them. I'd invite anyone who has one of these nutty devices to do some basic experiments to see if they actually do anything.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 19
I read that mapleshade thingy works great on vinyl. Been thinking of getting one myself
wink.gif

md

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 19
I have recently bought a Furutech RD-1 Disc Demagnetizer which is supposed not to even out the CD's magnetic field as the Bedini does, but to demagnetize the CD. The manufacturer's theory is that the CD can hold small magnetic charges although it is made mostly from non-magnetic materials. They specifically talk about the ink used to print on the CD.

The Furutech has undeniable sonic effects. It removes digital harshness, increases dynamic range, it makes for an altogether creamier, more organic and more palpable presentation. However, it has no or little effect on tonal balance, its virtues become more noticeable in the long term. To me, listening fatigue is reduced considerably, and the feet-tapping factor is increased.

I don't know whether the undeniable effect of the Furutech has to do with magnetic fields or reduced static charges (is there a relation?), or (as some people at Audio Asylum have speculated) with thermal effects of the demagnetizing process, but it works. I have heard it, time and again.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 19
Ah yes...time to sniff the napalm...I smell a good ole fashion subjectivist vs. objectivist flame war about to start.

Brings back old nestalgic headfi memories.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Just to clarify, I wasn't joking. I read it does reduce the amount of static electricity on vinyl. My audioquest brush does squat. Now, cds...well...
md

Mar 19, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
Just to clarify, I wasn't joking. I read it does reduce the amount of static electricity on vinyl. My audioquest brush does squat. Now, cds...well...
md

I've got a Discwasher Zerostat (that's older than many of the readers of this board) that was designed to remove static from vinyl. I believe these are still available, perhaps from another company.

Mar 19, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
The Bedini Ultra-Clarifier most likely does absolutely nothing, but the placebo effect may improve sound perception significantly.

You gotta love it when someone who hasn't even seen the product, much less heard it, tells us what it does or does not do. I've got a better experiment than yours. Use it on your CD's and listen to them. If you've got a good enough system, you'll hear it. I originally thought nothing was going on, but with the Creek CD53 and EAR HP4 in my setup, I realized my original impressions were very wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back