New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Sep 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #827 of 970
Does the HA-1A noise issue still exist for low impedance headphones? Some of my new found favorite headphones are low impedance.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #829 of 970
Placed order with John today and according to him, they will ship this Saturday. I think Cayin is only one province over from us (Guangdong), so should be here 1-3 days. Looking forward to my first Cayin product. Now I need some options for a DAP.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #830 of 970
I have a new YouTube channel where I'm doing reviews! The 1AMK2 is one of the earliest:

Enjoy!

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #831 of 970
I have a new YouTube channel where I'm doing reviews! The 1AMK2 is one of the earliest:

Enjoy!

Enjoyed your review. You mentioned it was heavy several times. Some might interpret that is a bad thing? Heavy and oversized transformers from that I have seen, are usually an indicator of a robust design. I had two competing brands of Tube Monoblocks, the one with the heavier transformers had more grunt and meat on the bones sound presentation. Although I didn't like the idea of moving the heavier monoblocks around, as the lighter ones were more easier to carry, in the end, I ended up selling the lighter ones because other heavier ones just sounded better.

If you review the other Cayin headphone amps, they will be even heavier. 20kg and 30kg. I think you won't be picking those up with one arm. :wink:

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #832 of 970
New Cayin in the house. Smaller and heavier than I expected. Well packed, and all professional appearance. Setup and ready to go for its initial listening session.

Preview Clipping (4∶37∶41 PM).jpg

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #833 of 970
@Andykong What kind of break in can I expect with this unit?

Sep 24, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #834 of 970
Does this amp do well with dynamic headphones and planars?

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #835 of 970
Enjoyed your review. You mentioned it was heavy several times. Some might interpret that is a bad thing?

Thanks! Only bad for the review format, lol. I agree that in general weight is often a good sign for amps.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #836 of 970
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #838 of 970
As with most things in audio, it depends. I find Hi-Z dynamics consistently sound good. Harder-to-drive planars (either above 60 ohms or low-sensivity... Think around 90db/mw or lower) are more likely to work well than a low-Z and high efficiency planar. Low-Z dynamics are also hit and miss. Even with the output impedance selector switch, the output impedance of the 1Amk2 is never going to be as low as that on a well designed solid state amp. That higher output impedance has audible effects on low-Z dynamics. Will you like the effect? Totally up to you. In general I find the bass gets sloppy and bloated on most low-Z dynamics and the overall presentation becomes over-smoothed. But, nothing stops you from liking that so ymmv.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #839 of 970

For planars I'm using the Cayin with my Hifiman Arya and they are a match made in heaven I think. Never heard them with so much punch and dynamic sounding with spectacular 3D imaging and space. Since they are not very efficient noise in no problem with them.
For dynamics I'm using it with my ZMF Vérité Closed and Aeolus - both with 300 Ohms. They suffer a bit from an audible noise floor when nothing is playing. I got around that with a custom made 1/4 inch to 4-pin XLR noise-adapter made by @skedra (Viking Weave cables) which helps to bring the noise floor down so it's not audible anymore and they are also performing their best out of all my Amps on the Cayin (with upgraded tubes).
The only combination that didn't work out for me for now were the Focal Celestee. They are simply too sensitive in my experience and the Noise Adapter also works better with high impedance headphones so this combination just wasn't the best. For low impedance dynamics I prefer for example my ZDT. Jr tube amp which has a lot less power but also a much lower noise floor.

What headphones do you want to drive with the amp?

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #840 of 970
1A going excellently with Hugo 2 right now...really special pairing...pricey to use it as a DAC..but I use it transportable DAC/Amp mode elsewhere...With PSVane pre/amp it does not alter the presentation radically, just brings more holography and body/silky veneer to the mix.

It also sits on the back top part of the amp, and does not get hot with all that venting going on in the front area surprisingly.

Best desktop dac/amp combo I have heard to date - 8 years in this game. BOOM !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back