New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
May 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #106 of 970
It appears that problem is resolved and Andy was still awake when I texted him. ....that's crazy at 15 hours ahead of us.

Yes we do have the mk11 on display along with the 6's.

OK, cool, glad to hear. I was confused. Andy said they were going to change shipping procedures to avoid the issue but he also stated that there were also going to be design changes as well. Just curious.

Andy said this on page 6:

"Long term solution will involve reinforcement of structural design as this is cheaper then extra logistic cost in the long run. However our new structural design will involve revising some of the components in the framework and this will take several months before we can roll out the revised design in our production line. Yes, it takes that long when we have to go through the proper design modification procedures, ISO process and related supply chain, and we only have one production batch of HA-1Amk2 in every 2-3 calendar months."

It would be great if Andy could clarify wether or not this is still happening.

Do you have a unit to demo at your Torrance store?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #107 of 970
OK, cool, glad to hear. I was confused. Andy said they were going to change shipping procedures to avoid the issue but he also stated that there were also going to be design changes as well. Just curious.

"Long term solution will involve reinforcement of structural design as this is cheaper then extra logistic cost in the long run. However our new structural design will involve revising some of the components in the framework and this will take several months before we can roll out the revised design in our production line. Yes, it takes that long when we have to go through the proper design modification procedures, ISO process and related supply chain, and we only have one production batch of HA-1Amk2 in every 2-3 calendar months."

I believe I've answered this already but yes the PCB is supported and shipping changes were made. Yes we have the mkII on display for your audition capability here in the Torrance California

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 23, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #109 of 970
It would be great to compare it to a Schiit MJ2, as they seem to be in the same price range. (if possible).

May 28, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #111 of 970

The new structural design was in place in late 2016, so when I wrote that message (early January 2017), the design was there, factory has zero stock on hand, and we were waiting for the new production schedule to execute the new design. Then we have the long Chinese New Year vacation starting 21st Jan, and the first production after Chinese New Year is revised design. I am quite sure all current stock on hand from oversee dealers are revised design already because we only have a handful of international dealer carrying this amp. all over the world and they don't stock up on this model. We can't be sure about the old-stock in back in Mainland China. This is because while we are perceived as a new brand in oversee HeadFi market, Cayin is famous and popular on tube amplifier back in our home market, so our tube headphone amplifier has a much wider coverage and we cannot trace the stock of each and every shops in Mainland China, so if happen to travel to China and wanted to buy a HA-1Amk2 there, you have to be a bit careful, especially if you need to ship the amplifier back home after that, extra box and package is recommend.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #112 of 970
The new structural design was in place in late 2016, so when I wrote that message (early January 2017), the design was there, factory has zero stock on hand, and we were waiting for the new production schedule to execute the new design. Then we have the long Chinese New Year vacation starting 21st Jan, and the first production after Chinese New Year is revised design. I am quite sure all current stock on hand from oversee dealers are revised design already because we only have a handful of international dealer carrying this amp. all over the world and they don't stock up on this model. We can't be sure about the old-stock in back in Mainland China. This is because while we are perceived as a new brand in oversee HeadFi market, Cayin is famous and popular on tube amplifier back in our home market, so our tube headphone amplifier has a much wider coverage and we cannot trace the stock of each and every shops in Mainland China, so if happen to travel to China and wanted to buy a HA-1Amk2 there, you have to be a bit careful, especially if you need to ship the amplifier back home after that, extra box and package is recommend.

Do you have the serial number when the new design started? Then everything before is one design and everything after is new design.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #115 of 970
Do you have the serial number when the new design started? Then everything before is one design and everything after is new design.

This web site is really having issues isn't it. I haven't tried to get that information from Cayin because I only just saw your post. I'll try to get that if possible.

So we have agreed with Cayin to be the US distributor for the Cayin desk top amps with another distributor in NY for the portables. I am in dialog with Cayin to reduce the retail a bit making it more affordable to you folks and our walk in customers. I think the current price is very fair but I'd like to see a match in retail between China (country or origin) and the US & European markets. This way you don't have to buy a modified product from a non-authorized dealer in China just to get a fair price here in the states. Keep in mind that as soon as the unit is modified the warranty on these products immediately lose its warranty status and that isn't good.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #116 of 970
I just want to chime in here if I can.

First of all I had the stock tubes in that unit. Those tubes are said to suck. The Cayin is also said to respond to tube rolling very well. All that being said. At the price it is at now brand new It is at a very good price. No schilling .... scouts honor. In fact if it weren't for me pinching pennies for the Eddie Current Afficianado I would have already bought one.

The good thing about the Cayin is that it has a very warm and tubey sound with a distinct lack of compression. But at the same time the treble, while smooth in balance, is actually crisp and snappy. It is not the most resolving but the way music sounds open on it and far from compressed is really stellar. It sounds more organic than any of the tube amps I have here. The Torpedo III is a bit more snappy, resolved, and is almost as organic but the Cayin is a little more melodic.

I did have some noise though with the high impedance selected.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #117 of 970
I am going to NEED one of these, now!!!

12au7 with EL84 makes for KILLER TUBE-HEAD AMP.

For more than a year I was using both the headphone output which has its own custom output transformer, and the main transformer with a super simple little impedance match/gain drop device. Oh, the AMP itself... ICON AUDIO STEREO 20pp

Great AMP!

Now for something more competitive than that.. I have 'graduated' to the ICON HP8 MKII. Which thankfully allows me to keep using my 12AX7 tubes, plus all my 12AU7,12BH7,5814 etc etc via 6SN7 adapters.

Here was the bugger. I had NO 6SN7 when I bought the HP8. I have about 150 12AX7 and 300 or more 12AU7, a several quads of EL84. But NO 6SN7.

Adding another tube to my collection, especially THOSE expensive little demons... well

Looks like the Cayin might let me let go of the need to stockpile 6SN7 types and then I can tube roll all day, night, week, month and year long with my exisiting collection. Because, come on, isn't that what audiophool tube rollers like do all day long? I can't sit still with the same tube combo it seems for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. :) :)

You think I am kidding. I am glad that you still THINK I am kidding.

ANYWAY, I found out the best sounding 6SN7 in the ICON amp is the RCA 6F8G. another 'adapter required' number, but, I have felt NO urge to take the pair out. NADA. So that is a really, really huge and telling sign!

OK... so back on track. Gonna pick up one of these to compare to the ICON, and have some fun playing with my 12AU7 tubes again. (I abandoned using them in the ICON with adapter. The ICON amp doesn't like them all that well. About the only ones that could START to compete are Siemens triple mica E82CC)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #118 of 970
I just want to chime in here if I can.

First of all I had the stock tubes in that unit. Those tubes are said to suck. The Cayin is also said to respond to tube rolling very well. All that being said. At the price it is at now brand new It is at a very good price. No schilling .... scouts honor. In fact if it weren't for me pinching pennies for the Eddie Current Afficianado I would have already bought one.

The good thing about the Cayin is that it has a very warm and tubey sound with a distinct lack of compression. But at the same time the treble, while smooth in balance, is actually crisp and snappy. It is not the most resolving but the way music sounds open on it and far from compressed is really stellar. It sounds more organic than any of the tube amps I have here. The Torpedo III is a bit more snappy, resolved, and is almost as organic but the Cayin is a little more melodic.

I did have some noise though with the high impedance selected.

Lee, you are one of the very few reviewers who has hands-on our iDAC-6/iHA-6 combo and HA-1Amk2, that's why I value your opinion on Cayin desktop HeadFi products because you understand what we have in mind and what we are trying to deliver through our product, and you know the Cayin house sound pretty well.

The HA-1Amk2 is definitely a tube roller, I'll recommend we start at the 12AU7, changing the EL84 will bring in less variation when compare to the 12AU7. In fact most, if not all, Cayin traditional tube amplifiers are very good tube rollers. While Traditional tube amplifier are designed to make tube rolling very straight forward, that's because the tube amplifier are normally placed 6ft (at least) away from the user during operation, so it is kind of safe to keep the tube in open space and facilitate tube rolling easily. The HA-1Amk2 is designed as a desktop amplifier and the user are assumed to sit at an arm-distance only, so keeping the tubes at open-space will be risky to certain extend, that's why we need to put the tubes into an enclosed chamber. This will make tube roller less efficient as you need to take off the exterior enclosure before you can access to the tube chamber, but we think the HA-1Amk2 design has take care of operational safety and aesthetics of tube amplifier on the expense of tube rolling efficiency.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #119 of 970
I am going to NEED one of these, now!!!

12au7 with EL84 makes for KILLER TUBE-HEAD AMP.

For more than a year I was using both the headphone output which has its own custom output transformer, and the main transformer with a super simple little impedance match/gain drop device. Oh, the AMP itself... ICON AUDIO STEREO 20pp

Great AMP!

Now for something more competitive than that.. I have 'graduated' to the ICON HP8 MKII. Which thankfully allows me to keep using my 12AX7 tubes, plus all my 12AU7,12BH7,5814 etc etc via 6SN7 adapters.

Here was the bugger. I had NO 6SN7 when I bought the HP8. I have about 150 12AX7 and 300 or more 12AU7, a several quads of EL84. But NO 6SN7.

Adding another tube to my collection, especially THOSE expensive little demons... well

Looks like the Cayin might let me let go of the need to stockpile 6SN7 types and then I can tube roll all day, night, week, month and year long with my exisiting collection. Because, come on, isn't that what audiophool tube rollers like do all day long? I can't sit still with the same tube combo it seems for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. :) :)

You think I am kidding. I am glad that you still THINK I am kidding.

ANYWAY, I found out the best sounding 6SN7 in the ICON amp is the RCA 6F8G. another 'adapter required' number, but, I have felt NO urge to take the pair out. NADA. So that is a really, really huge and telling sign!

OK... so back on track. Gonna pick up one of these to compare to the ICON, and have some fun playing with my 12AU7 tubes again. (I abandoned using them in the ICON with adapter. The ICON amp doesn't like them all that well. About the only ones that could START to compete are Siemens triple mica E82CC)

300 or more 12AU7 and a several quads of EL84? What are you waiting for? Given your tube collection, the HA-1Amk2 can pair with a lot of headphones and surprise you all day, night, week, month and year. :sunglasses:

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #120 of 970
Lee, you are one of the very few reviewers who has hands-on our iDAC-6/iHA-6 combo and HA-1Amk2, that's why I value your opinion on Cayin desktop HeadFi products because you understand what we have in mind and what we are trying to deliver through our product, and you know the Cayin house sound pretty well.

The HA-1Amk2 is definitely a tube roller, I'll recommend we start at the 12AU7, changing the EL84 will bring in less variation when compare to the 12AU7. In fact most, if not all, Cayin traditional tube amplifiers are very good tube rollers. While Traditional tube amplifier are designed to make tube rolling very straight forward, that's because the tube amplifier are normally placed 6ft (at least) away from the user during operation, so it is kind of safe to keep the tube in open space and facilitate tube rolling easily. The HA-1Amk2 is designed as a desktop amplifier and the user are assumed to sit at an arm-distance only, so keeping the tubes at open-space will be risky to certain extend, that's why we need to put the tubes into an enclosed chamber. This will make tube roller less efficient as you need to take off the exterior enclosure before you can access to the tube chamber, but we think the HA-1Amk2 design has take care of operational safety and aesthetics of tube amplifier on the expense of tube rolling efficiency.
I disagree with your design decision I have two tube amps within arm's distance from where I sit at my computer, and I have no issues at all with the tubes. In fact I have purchased extra equipment to make the tubes on my Schiit amp stick out further to allow for easier access.

What would be very innovative would be easy access to the tubes with a lid on the case that rolls back or flips up with a hinge, and some sort of locking mechanism like a magnet or click latch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back