New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Sep 19, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #391 of 970
Hi guys, please advice as I'm totally new to tubes. I'm on a budget but I want to replace the stock Cayin branded tubes after almost a year and I have a couple of questions:
Do tubes need to be necessarily a matched pair or two tubes of the same model but sold individually will do? What's the difference?
Also, will the following fit the HA-1A MK2 and which one would you recommend between:
JJ ecc82 Gold Pin (not matched)
JJ ecc82 (matched pair)
Electro Harmonix 12AU7EH Gold (not matched)
Tung-Sol Re-Issue 12AU7/ecc82 (matched pair)
Finally, a matched pair of JJ ECC802s which are apparently the best of the JJ's in this list when it comes to low frequencies (very appealing to me) but I'm not sure they are compatible with 12AU7 circuits.

My preference is for warm and smooth sound. Any info on compatibility and sound characteristics you want to share will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #392 of 970
Hi guys, please advice as I'm totally new to tubes. I'm on a budget but I want to replace the stock Cayin branded tubes after almost a year and I have a couple of questions:
Do tubes need to be necessarily a matched pair or two tubes of the same model but sold individually will do? What's the difference?
Also, will the following fit the HA-1A MK2 and which one would you recommend between:
JJ ecc82 (matched pair)
Finally, a matched pair of JJ ECC802s which are apparently the best of the JJ's in this list when it comes to low frequencies (very appealing to me) but I'm not sure they are compatible with 12AU7 circuits.

My preference is for warm and smooth sound. Any info on compatibility and sound characteristics you want to share will be greatly appreciated.
For the Cayin amp, you should indeed use matched pairs. Two individual tubes of the same model, depending on how unmatched they are, may make the two channels produce different volume from each other.

If your reason for tube rolling is to obtain a warmer and smoother sound, I'm not sure any of the ones you've listed will get you that. My experience with JJ and EH ECC82 tubes is they tend to be clear sounding but somewhat dry. The Tung-Sol re-issue could be good but I haven't heard those. I've seen good reviews of the JJ ECC802 (which are compatible, just long plate), but also haven't heard them myself.

My suggestion would be either:
a) Among new production 12AU7/ECC82 tubes, spring for the Genalex Gold Lion
b) Search eBay and other sources for vintage 12AU7/ECC82 tubes in excellent or NOS (new old stock) condition. Decent choices include RCA and Sylvania, as well as the usual vintage Mullard and Telefunken. The Sylvania pair I have sound surprisingly good. (New production Mullards apparently just license the brand name, but aren't the same design or sound quality as the old Mullards.)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #393 of 970
JJ ecc82 (matched pair)

Many thanks!

As long as your pre-amp tubes are the same kind you don’t really need to match them. But if you switch your power tubes they will need to be a matched pair. But having matched doesn’t hurt...

What are you looking for from your new tube?
Different sound?
Quieter?
Just want a change?

I have the Tung-sols, they are good... but I can’t actually remember what they sound like... haven’t used them in awhile

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #394 of 970
JJ ecc82 (matched pair)

Many thanks!
Apparently in regards to the tung-sol I thought
“The Tong sol tubes are quite nice, they add more sparkle to the too end and have tighter bass.‘

So I would guess that is further away from warm and smooth

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #400 of 970
Ok, so I bought one used and the guy had used it sparringly with the stock tubes. I use it with my Nightowls in my vinyl rig. It really sounds quite good with a nice mix of warmth and detail. But I'm gonna need some other tubes to tighten up the bass. Is there a store that sell tubes who would be happy to answer all my inquiries?

Thanks

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #401 of 970
If you don’t mind shipping from N.A upscale audio and TheTubeStore are very responsive. Thetubestore has a lot of info on its website that might help you.
Although I’m sure there is something in Europe, I just wouldn’t know...

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #403 of 970
@Malmbak warm power tubes - Amperex/Bugle Boys EL84 O getter and D getter type, both great choices. There is also the Mullard square getter EL84 for hard hitting bass but the Amperex tubes have better overall balance and a sweet tone.

Telefunken 12au7 smooth plate drivers are a great match for these output tubes, and a RCA 12DT5 rectifier can also be sourced to give a warmer overall tone

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #405 of 970
96A8B270-0AC8-4AFF-92FF-2D1192C44530.jpeg So what’s everyone’s current set-up? Has it changed since you got the HA1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back