New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #258 of 970
Hei @project86 @Andykong

I am new in tube amp world. What I know is we need to warm up tube amp before listen to it. How about mk2? Do we need to warm it up by playing music, or just leave it on?

I also want to change the power tube, what do you recommend for mk2?

The first 60 second after power up, the tube amp might sound very strange, something like out of tune if you are listening to a connected headphone when you press the power button.

The sound should sound normal after that, but it'll take around 15 minutes before the tubes become completely stable.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #259 of 970
Agreed, I typically turn on the amp and then go grab a drink or do something else for a bit. Come back in 20 minutes and it's good to go.

Sometimes I will leave stuff on indefinitely (solid-state gear, which is also impacted by temp but to a much smaller degree), but I wouldn't want to prematurely wear out my nice tubes so I don't do that with the HA-1A mk2.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #261 of 970
Did anyone else receive an MKii with a 4K OLED TV tucked inside ?​

Actual Photo
Cayin_OLED-2.png

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #263 of 970
I normally just turn the volume 3 clicks down from line level to give me 2.1V but I can see how that would be annoying if you take your mojo on the go a lot(I have started using my phone more often).
If the amp had a issues with 3v shouldn’t you knotice clipping?
In case you are wondering here is a little thing posted by Em2016 in the mojo thread
0 clicks down = 3 Vrms
1 click down = 2.67 Vrms
2 clicks down = 2.38 Vrms
3 clicks down = 2.1 Vrms
4 clicks down = 1.9 Vrms

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #264 of 970
I don’t think I believed before that high amplification was beneficial for easy to drive iems.
But here I am sitting and listening to Maestro V2 which is fine out of my phone, iPod classic, iPod nano, Mojo(it is better out of the mojo but I always assume it’s the DAC), out of the HA-1A.2 and the soundstage is clearly larger than out of the Mojo directly... I’m going to have to do more listening comparisons.
Also I feel I should mention volume balance on my amp is exceptional I can listen very low with these iems and have L/R integrity

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #266 of 970
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #267 of 970
Thank you @Andykong @project86 for the info.

Can I ask you one more time?
How much volt input that mkii can handle? Mojo line out mode give 3 volt.

Thank you

I think 3V is OK, within our acceptable range.

But I think both Hugo and Mojo can adjust the line out level, so you can set it to 2V or 2.1V?

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #268 of 970
I don’t think I believed before that high amplification was beneficial for easy to drive iems.
But here I am sitting and listening to Maestro V2 which is fine out of my phone, iPod classic, iPod nano, Mojo(it is better out of the mojo but I always assume it’s the DAC), out of the HA-1A.2 and the soundstage is clearly larger than out of the Mojo directly... I’m going to have to do more listening comparisons.
Also I feel I should mention volume balance on my amp is exceptional I can listen very low with these iems and have L/R integrity

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-iha-6-us-tour-and-reviews.797581/page-28#post-14369023

We have a special coverage to use powerful desktop headphone amp with IEMs, but we use iHA-6 instead of HA1Amk2.

Yes, I believe even sensitive IEM will be benefited by a power headphone amplifier as long as the background noise is not getting into the way. :beerchug:

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #269 of 970
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-iha-6-us-tour-and-reviews.797581/page-28#post-14369023

We have a special coverage to use powerful desktop headphone amp with IEMs, but we use iHA-6 instead of HA1Amk2.

Yes, I believe even sensitive IEM will be benefited by a power headphone amplifier as long as the background noise is not getting into the way. :beerchug:
I have been very surprised how much different tubes change the noise floor! The noise floor with my iems is only a little higher than my mojo, definitely low enough that music drowns it out completly.
I am very tempted to try RAM labs super low noise tubes to see what they are like... but like headphones I must resist, when I get something new it is very easy for me to spend sooo much money on items to try it out. The other day I almost bought a HD800 and a Hifiman HE1000 just to see how they sound.
I must be patient in a month or so if I still feel the desire I will buy more tubes or more headphone... or a new amp for my speakers(I think the Ha-1a would pair soo Nicely with my my totem sttafs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back