New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #181 of 978
Well KC-130 basically says the Chord and Cayin pair up is very good and they like the Hugo2 with the HA-1A flavour more than just the Hugo alone.
The mojo is also a good pair up.
But they have not have the Odin but the cayin matches up with the Elear and the LCD-2f “at near perfect”.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #183 of 978
I’m not sure either. The Ha-1amk1 has quite the following I understand but I don’t think it ever made it to Head-Fi, not sure about the current mk2. But I can say that although it has been on my radar I never took a large interest in it for some reason...
Well hopefully this time next week mine will be here and I will be able to give my impression with the Eikon

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #184 of 978
Weird indeed.
You can see in the screenshot below that my original post was much longer than the just cut-off sentence.
I took the screenshot below from the results of the "My Content" selection of my profile.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.58.18 AM.png

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #185 of 978
The original HA-1A had a thread around here, pretty long if I recall correctly. But that was a decade ago, not sure it is still accessible.

The new model absolutely deserves more recognition than it gets. I think because the price is so reasonable, people don't pay attention. Weird how that works. If it was like 2 or 3x the price, I suspect it would be more well known.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #186 of 978
Weird indeed.
You can see in the screenshot below that my original post was much longer than the just cut-off sentence.
I took the screenshot below from the results of the "My Content" selection of my profile.

Haha it may just be me but your screen shot shows the same details as your post, you didn’t get told by a mod your post was inappropriate did you :ksc75smile:

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #188 of 978
My comparative listening is not performed in a controlled environment. My critical listening sessions focus on tuning the components to my liking rather than creating a repeatable set of events. And by “liking” I’m referring to the transient mood that’s created by any particular device or piece of work. The mood that’s created is not necessarily repeatable but nonetheless can still be compared to other moods in a subjective manner.

So, to provide some input to the discussion of combining the Hugo 2 with the Cayin; I find that using the Hugo 2 as a both a DAC and an Amp could satisfy my wants for music presentation for many years to come… if only I were not addicted to technology. But, because I’m willing to try out new devices on a whim or hunch I decided to order the Cayin HA-1A MK2.

I’ve connected the Cayin to a dozen different sources and the two stand-out favorites are the Chord Mojo and Hugo 2.

When I listen to some new material I play it through the Mojo/Cayin, the Hugo 2/Cayin, and through the WA7d Fireflies. I queue up the tracks and have the sources swapped, blind to me, until I’ve heard the new tracks on all 3 configurations. Almost without exception, my preference is the Mojo / Cayin combination regardless of the genre being played. That’s by no means a controlled test but it’s more than ample for my subjective listening.

Why does the Mojo / Caying combination excel every time. For my ears, it’s the “Live” effect of the presentation.

Whether the material was recorded in a studio or concert event, if the result is that I feel placed at the location of the performance then my time has been well spent. I attribute the bulk of that “Live” effect to the Cayin Amp. Of all the sources and Amps I’ve auditioned, adding the Cayin Amp into the stream has by far had the most discernible impact.

The Hugo 2 is a close 2nd place when used alone without the Cayin but there’s something vacant in the music… as though the instruments are not giving it their all. I’ve tried many combinations of the Hugo 2 filter & crossfeed settings but it doesn’t quite hit that premium level of delivery I get when I add the Cayin Amp.

Comparing the Hugo 2 / Cayin to the Fireflies; the Fireflies are outstanding at delivering material on almost every level. I wouldn’t keep them around if I were not truly impressed with them but the Hugo 2 / Cayin combo slays the Fireflies in overall presentation.

When I play material through the Fireflies I use the Crossfeed Audio Unit plug-ins because the DAC in those beauties displays too much channel separation for my tastes. Adjusting the crossfeed really makes the WA7 come alive.

I haven’t encountered any material played through the Hugo 2 / Cayin combo that needs the assistance of added crossfeed.

Again, a controlled environment is not a consideration for me. I enjoy the surprise and revelation of new material being played through a configuration that doesn’t disappoint. That’s exactly what the Hugo 2 / Cayin delivers.

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #190 of 978
I didn't get around to addressing your question about using the Cayin Amp with your Odin headphones.

I don't have a personal experience of pairing this Amp with the Odin and I would not want to speculate how the Odin would respond to it.
My overall experience with this Amp indicates that any headphones this Amp may be unable to drive would require an Amp developed especially for those headphones. I may be mistaken but I recall that Cayin was displaying this Amp paired with the Odin at events within the past 6 months. Ask your Audio Cayin dealer to verify that statement.

I can, however, attest to the Amp's ability to drive any headphone I currently own.
The more popular one's on that list are:
AKG-K7XX
HD 6XX
HifiMan HE-560
Audeze LCD-2F
Audeze LCD-X
Focal Elear
FA-011AE (a wooden-cup headphone)

That's a good representation of the full-sized headphones in use today and the Hugo 2 / Cayin combination performs nothing less than stellar with all of them.
A pair of Focal Clear's will be delivered to me this week. After a week or so of listening to the Clear's with the Cayin Amp, I'll document my experience in this thread.

Something of note is that the impedance selector on my Amp has just an imperceptible influence on the audible output.
In actual use, the only difference my ears perceive is when switching from the 8-32 ohm setting to the 33-64 ohm setting and even that is subtle.
All of the higher impedance settings had no noticeable effect on any of the headphones listed above.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #192 of 978
It's in the nature of a tech-junkie to experience and understand the nuances of many digital sources.
A few weeks ago I was served a less than tasty seafood dish at a favorite restaurant. I still go back there for the veal.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #194 of 978
So my HA-1A came in, It sounds very very nice.
I do however have some level of noise floor. When I use ZMF Eikon it is barely audible with my Beyerdynamic T90 it is a little lower (that’s on the 8-32ohm setting) completly disappears as soon as music starts.
I’ll move the amp around my place to see if it’s interference and come back when I have more listening time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back