New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #166 of 976
anyone have any thoughts after owning this amp for a while?
I've owned the MK2 for a couple of months and, to exercise some hyperbole, I've yet to pick my jaw up off the floor.
I ask friends to blindly compare my Cavalli, Woo, and MK2. The moment they hear the MK2 their expressions say they've received a special gift.
Some have even given it a hug and asked to take it home with them.

My preference for connecting the MK2 is with my Elears... so much that I will likely sell my LCD-2f.
I also connected the MK2 with my K7XX, and HE-560 before I sold them. To my tastes, none of my digital or analog arsenal of inputs could aid the 560's.

The first thing I noticed about the MK2 was what I wasn't able to hear... no hiss, no hum, no pop... nada, zip, zilch.
That's a remarkable comment to make about an out-of-the-box tube dependent amp. Every time I power it on I expect for reality to set in with a flurry of rabbit-ear-antenna-like static. To date, no background noise whatsoever.

Typically, when I first sample a new tube amp my initial though is "hmm, that's an interesting take on tube acoustics".
One of my usual sampling favorites is Bill Frissel's jazzy version of "Surfer Girl" and the MK2 delivered an unforgettable immersion into the steel-bending artistry of jazz guitar. It creates the sense that every note has been hand-crafted especially for you. The same tune played on my Woo left me saying, "meh".
The one word that repeatedly comes to mind in describing the MK2 is "Live". Every tune I sampled had the unmistakable essence of a Live performance. Not so much due to the intimate soundstage that was created but because the tonal aura seemed to continue on beyond my ears instead of terminating inside my head. The sound was being physically animated to an extent that I could see the very tunes I was hearing. Psychiatrist refer to it as "hallucinating". Whatever it is, I'm glad I found it.

On the mechanical side, the MK2 is capable of a threatening amount of power. I'm unable to twist the pot past 9 o'clock without removing my headpiece.
I can't say much about attack and decay. My ears just aren't specialized enough to detect those things.
However, the components do get very warm but only the top of the unit is hot to the touch, that I can attest to.
The styling of this unit has to been experienced in person. The photos of it are great but sitting in front of it, staring it eye-to-eye, you get the feeling you're in the presence of something far more than just electro-mechanical. Peering through the porthole on the front of the MK2 is akin to watching an aquarium. Whatever they put into those tubes creates something supernatural visually... and audibly.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #167 of 976
I've owned the MK2 for a couple of months and, to exercise some hyperbole, I've yet to pick my jaw up off the floor.
I ask friends to blindly compare my Cavalli, Woo, and MK2. The moment they hear the MK2 their expressions say they've received a special gift.
Some have even given it a hug and asked to take it home with them.

My preference for connecting the MK2 is with my Elears... so much that I will likely sell my LCD-2f.
I also connected the MK2 with my K7XX, and HE-560 before I sold them. To my tastes, none of my digital or analog arsenal of inputs could aid the 560's.

The first thing I noticed about the MK2 was what I wasn't able to hear... no hiss, no hum, no pop... nada, zip, zilch.
That's a remarkable comment to make about an out-of-the-box tube dependent amp. Every time I power it on I expect for reality to set in with a flurry of rabbit-ear-antenna-like static. To date, no background noise whatsoever.

Typically, when I first sample a new tube amp my initial though is "hmm, that's an interesting take on tube acoustics".
One of my usual sampling favorites is Bill Frissel's jazzy version of "Surfer Girl" and the MK2 delivered an unforgettable immersion into the steel-bending artistry of jazz guitar. It creates the sense that every note has been hand-crafted especially for you. The same tune played on my Woo left me saying, "meh".
The one word that repeatedly comes to mind in describing the MK2 is "Live". Every tune I sampled had the unmistakable essence of a Live performance. Not so much due to the intimate soundstage that was created but because the tonal aura seemed to continue on beyond my ears instead of terminating inside my head. The sound was being physically animated to an extent that I could see the very tunes I was hearing. Psychiatrist refer to it as "hallucinating". Whatever it is, I'm glad I found it.

On the mechanical side, the MK2 is capable of a threatening amount of power. I'm unable to twist the pot past 9 o'clock without removing my headpiece.
I can't say much about attack and decay. My ears just aren't specialized enough to detect those things.
However, the components do get very warm but only the top of the unit is hot to the touch, that I can attest to.
The styling of this unit has to been experienced in person. The photos of it are great but sitting in front of it, staring it eye-to-eye, you get the feeling you're in the presence of something far more than just electro-mechanical. Peering through the porthole on the front of the MK2 is akin to watching an aquarium. Whatever they put into those tubes creates something supernatural visually... and audibly.

cheers for your impressions its good to see someone enjoying this amp as much as you are.

Are these impressions all with the stock tubes?

I'd assume the hd600 should pair well.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger should arrive in a week or so. My next cans will be the hd800 or t1 so hopefully they pair well aswell.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #168 of 976
cheers for your impressions its good to see someone enjoying this amp as much as you are.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger should arrive in a week or so. My next cans will be the hd800 or t1 so hopefully they pair well aswell.
Glad to hear you're on board with the MK2 !
It's a rewarding purchase and the only one I've made in some time that will have staying power.
I'm hoping it turns into an heirloom if I don't completely wear it out.

I've used all stock tubes thus far.
I'm still in the honeymoon phase and will wait for a few months to swap her tubes. Unless she gives me a reason to do so earlier.

I have yet to ever listen to the HD800. If you have a favorable review of them with the MK2 I will likely jump into a used pair.

Are you planning on using a tonal balancer (or separate Eq) with the HD800 ?

I had an unfavorable experience with the HE-560's and probably should have held on to them and connected a Loki, or similar balancer, to them.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #169 of 976
Meet Cayin & the little ladies.
20180607_221549.jpg

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #170 of 976
20180608_004612.jpg

I removed the shell to re-align the tubes.

20180608_004709.jpg
Prior to purchasing, I asked the dealer if the structural problems has been solved. They said yes.
I'm only speculating but It looks as if the heavy components on the lower section have now been screwed to the frame to prevent the components from bouncing during shipping. My unit has perfectly square corners and was triple-boxed for shipping.
Now, to re-assemble it to make sure it still works.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #171 of 976
Glad to hear you're on board with the MK2 !
It's a rewarding purchase and the only one I've made in some time that will have staying power.
I'm hoping it turns into an heirloom if I don't completely wear it out.

I've used all stock tubes thus far.
I'm still in the honeymoon phase and will wait for a few months to swap her tubes. Unless she gives me a reason to do so earlier.

I have yet to ever listen to the HD800. If you have a favorable review of them with the MK2 I will likely jump into a used pair.

Are you planning on using a tonal balancer (or separate Eq) with the HD800 ?

I had an unfavorable experience with the HE-560's and probably should have held on to them and connected a Loki, or similar balancer, to them.

Will see how the hd800 sounds before making any equipment adjustments. Although that isn't really my realm. I've been using sonarworks profiles for that with varying degrees of enjoyment.

Good sub 1k tube amps are hard to come by but the impressions ive seen have been all favourable. I did order some gold lion 12au7 tubes on the recommendations in the thread. Either way I look forward to receiving the unit and having a play.

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #172 of 976

Have you received your new Cayin Amp yet and developed your impressions ?

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #175 of 976
I currently have the Hugo 2 connected to the Cayin HA-1A MK2 [Photo].
The Cayin amp is, to my ears, a substantial improvement over the internal amp of the Hugo 2.
You can read my impressions of the amp (above).
The Hugo 2 does provide a remarkable amp in a portable device but it's no match for the flavor added by the Cayin (double-entendre intended).
I did not perform a controlled-environment comparison test or even an A/B per se. I just listened to a several full albums using the Hugo 2 alone and then the same albums with the Hugo 2 as a DAC only and the Cayin as the Amp, which is an outstanding setup.

The only Woo products I've compared the Cayin against is the Fireflies. The Hugo 2 - Cayin combination slayed the Fireflies from every angle.
I attribute much of that dominance to the inherent crossfeed present in the Hugo 2. My ears do love some crossfeed.
I've tried to locate a pre-owned WA6 2nd Gen with no luck so far. If I don't locate one in the next month or so I'll likely just buy a new one direct from Woo and add some commentary here for comparison.

As for the Odin pairing, I don't own any Kennerton headphones but I do have a pair of FA-011AE's. But those are certainly not a comparative headpiece to the Odin. I can say unequivocally that the Elear and LCD-2f pair with the Cayin at near perfection. I own some music from live performances from events I attended in person. I credit the Cayin Amp with doing things to that music the artist can only wish they could deliver in a live venue.

In the for-what-its-worth department... the Chord Mojo+Poly is equally a favorite for me when combined with the Cayin.
Now, with that setup I do perform A/B against the Hugo 2 thanks to the dual RCA inputs on the Cayin. :ksc75smile:

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #176 of 976
hmmm... not sure what just happened to my reply. I wrote several paragraphs and it all got wiped out except for the first partial sentence.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #178 of 976
The Cayin amp is, to my ears, a substantial improvement over the internal amp of the Hugo 2.
The Hugo 2 does provide a remarkable amp in a portable device but it's no match for the flavor added by the Cayin (double-entendre intended).
I did not perform a controlled-environment comparison test or even an A/B per se. I just listened to a several full albums using the Hugo 2 alone and then the same albums with the Hugo 2 as a DAC only and the Cayin as the Amp, which is an outstanding setup.

The only Woo products I've compared the Cayin against is the Fireflies. The Hugo 2 - Cayin combination slayed the Fireflies from every angle.
I attribute much of that dominance to the inherent crossfeed present in the Hugo 2. My ears do love some crossfeed.
I've tried to locate a pre-owned WA6 2nd Gen with no luck so far. If I don't locate one in the next month or so I'll likely just buy a new one direct from Woo and add some commentary here for comparison.

As for the Odin pairing, I don't own any Kennerton headphones but I do have a pair of FA-011AE's. But those are certainly not a comparative headpiece to the Odin. I can say unequivocally that the Elear and LCD-2f pair with the Cayin at near perfection. I own some music from live performances from events I attended in person. I credit the Cayin Amp with doing things to that music the artist can only wish they could deliver in a live venue.

In the for-what-its-worth department... the Chord Mojo+Poly is equally a favorite for me when combined with the Cayin.
Now, with that setup I do perform A/B against the Hugo 2 thanks to the dual RCA inputs on the Cayin. :ksc75smile:
View This Thread
Unread Subscribed Threads
I don’t understand when I click edit I can read the whole quoted text but not when I post it

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #180 of 976
It seems maybe Head-if is cutting off everythin after so many characters? I’ll try quoting.... hmmm no
Is it so many lines?
No it’s not that.
I’m very very very confused.
Very
Very
Very

Still working
Any one understand what’s going on?
@KC-130

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back