New TT, how is it?
Jun 17, 2007 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Peteyglad

Head-Fier
I have been looking for a TT for a week or so now. Nothing fancy, but didn't want a piece of junk either. I have been checking out some of the lower priced lines by Denon, Audio-Technica, Sony and a few others. I ended up treking across town to check out what the audio store had for used equipment.

I ended up walking out with a B&O Beogram 1602 in great shape with an almost brand new MMC 20EN cartridge for $150. I feel I may have jumped the gun but would this make a decent entry point into vinyl?

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 6
I haven't listened to one, but I've always liked B&O gear. I've got an old Beomaster 1900 I'm fond of.

Anyhow, it should be fine. Couple things, though. How is the belt on it? Check to see if it needs replacing. They all wear out sooner or later. And what are you using for a phono stage?

Have fun with the deck! Go raid your local junk store and thrift shop for records. That's the best part.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 6
Any pics? Does it have a P-mount cartridge?

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peteyglad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No pics yet, too busy listening. As for cartridges, I believe it trakes B&O proprietary cartridges.

That's polly a p-mount, takes the worries of proper adjustment away, not a bad thing for vinyl newbies.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 6
beogram1600.jpg

Like this one?

I think your's is a US version but otherwise pretty much the same. Nice deck and a very very nice cart. You're right of course it's not P-Mount but proprietry B&O, but this is probably where the inspiration for P-Mount came from.

Quite pricey if you need to get a new stylus http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/index.html

This is as good a deck as anything you'll buy new for 500USD today so you got a good deal if it's all running well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back