New trend of headphone amps on HF?
Oct 27, 2008 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've just taken a glance at the first page in the Headphone amplifier forum. Wow, 90% of them are about tube amp.

I wonder if it's a new trend of people here on HF?
biggrin.gif

I've never tried a tube amp before but will get the LD VI next week, so I'm glad I'm still in that trend
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 38
thank littledot and darkvoice for the trend
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 38
At the last meet I attended, I only remember seeing one high-end non-portable solid-state amplifier at the whole event and it was DIY. I believe it's less about sound and more about this hobby becoming far too heavily based on pretty equipment.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 38
Yes, solid state stuff goes in a box. But tubes, they mostly have to stick out, they GLOW (one can't emphasize enough the importance of this), and can be swapped with an infinite number of sometimes rare examples from another era.

Ticks all the boxes!

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 38
I generally prefer Mid priced amps that are solid state just for shear accuracy and detail. Never found myself really enjoying a "tubey" sound either, but did love the midrange of tubes. So, a tube amp/SS hybrid could explain the trend as many fall into that category and that might be where all the SS people are.
redface.gif

Plus if you look at the DIY forum, the recent projects are tube related.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 38
I know it sounds silly, but a tube amplifier feels like you are using a piece of history, meanwhile the alternative is a box with a knob, nothing exactly sexy or historic about it.

Sonically this makes no sense, but it was one of the factors I couldn't rid myself of when deciding on the LD MKIII. I had a Gilmore Lite back when Antness had just finished working on it, or at least he was the one I was discussing it with. The sound was good, but I just felt something missing.

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 38
I think part of it is that chips cycle in and out of production relatively quickly compared to tubes. It's almost impossible to find vintage chips, but 60 year old tubes are readily available and many are being reproduced.

And tubes sound good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Circuits tend to be simpler and there is a nostalgic connection to tubes. Non-audiophiles overlook metal boxes. Put some tubes on top and everyone wants to know what it is and asks for a listen.

Though I recently turned up a massive heatsink on the cheap. It's a foot square and about four inches tall. Maybe this is a sign that it is time to finally build a DynaMight. I've had the boards and chips tucked away for a couple of years. And now, a suitable heatsink. A few components, a couple of transformers and (yet) more raw aluminum and I might start yapping about solid state!
eek.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with the OP. The latest trend in headphone amps is the mass production portable amps which aren't portable (well almost but just not there).

Including the millett portable tube-amp.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with the OP. The latest trend in headphone amps is the mass production portable amps which aren't portable (well almost but just not there).

Well, I'm talking about the full-size headphone amp forum, not the portable one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back