New Topping DX9 AK4499 - 100% Balanced??
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #46 of 60
I ordered the DX9 last month and have been waiting on it. In the meantime Topping has released the D90 III Sabre DAC. They mention 3 different modes with one sounding like tube emulation. I wonder if it adds some 2nd order harmonics. Now I'm wondering if I should go that route instead.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #47 of 60
All depends what you want, nice AIO solution, DX9 is good choice or best SNR, dynamic range, channel crosstalk, output power then stack is the option. This D90 III looks crazy, 2x 9039Pro implemented personally wonder how it sings.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #50 of 60
Regardless the sound quality, i think what topping dx9 trying to sell is convenient as digital head unit. With 8 digital input and 4 analog output probably more than enough as a unit in the living room. People can connect tv, console, bluray player, mini pc, streamer, etc to unit, than connect to multiple output setup like amp, speakers or perhaps home theater.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #52 of 60
Did anyone received their unit. I ordered a silver DX9 from Shenzhen Audio on Dec 08 and the order still has not been fulfilled. I sent them a few emails asking on the status without replies. Has any order from them, do they answer email?
I got mine, it's black, but I ordered from APOS Audio, Which I think they ordered from Shenzen Audio. I got mine a couple of weeks ago. all its well.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #53 of 60
Did anyone received their unit. I ordered a silver DX9 from Shenzhen Audio on Dec 08 and the order still has not been fulfilled. I sent them a few emails asking on the status without replies. Has anyone order from them, do they answer email?
I emailed them about some things and it was like 2-3 weeks for a reply. I'd resend the email from a different address just in case their spam filter or something got it if you didn't get a bounce message. If your email app has return receipt always use it (it's optional for the receiver sometimes though). Hifi-College on Amazon has them in stock in case you have to re-order. They even have one used for $1,000 currently.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #54 of 60
I got my dx9 a month ago and it is very versatile unit and an endgame DAC at the very least. I agree that the HPA is slightly weaker than what I expected and my Fostex can go almost -10 db volume and still sound comfortable. But my Heddphones v1 have no issue at all at -10 db and do become intolerable as do my HEK SE at anything higher as do my Audeze xc 2021. The AKM DAC chip here is TOTL and will be hard to find at this price point. I have my Q7 for the ESS chip which is a brighter DAC and before this I was using a Chord Mojo which is a very lively DAC. But so far I like the darker AKM EQ's luxuriant sound. But the Chord Mojo 2 is going to be more for portable usage. The dx9 is the heart of my hi fi setup now feeding my Vincent audio preamp. The dx9 has enough inputs to keep the most diehard i2S fan satisfied along with USB and optical inputs. A real luxurious TOTL DAC unit at least for me. My TOTL headphone amp unit is going to be the Burson Audio Solo Voyager which is currently on its way to me.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #55 of 60
Thank you. Yes to me it feels very much an upgrade, compared to the Fiio Q7, which I have been using as DAC/HPA driving the HD800's (original).

Imho it is not a matter of more bass, treble or mids, but classical chamber music sounds more natural, at first it seemed a tiny bit less detailed, but it also feels a bit less nervous and more enjoyable. Electronic music can bring very nice euphoria like Boris Brejcha - Vienna on Qobuz.

It could be that the Q7 is not the best match for my phones, the DX9 turned out to be a very good match. I can now listen continuously album after album and more and no listening fatigue at all.

With most modern television sets you can change the picture sharpness, setting it too high it can give the impression of more details but it can also become exaggerated and unnatural. That also seems the case a bit with the Q7. But if you have less unforgiving phones then the Q7 might be a very good match.

The DX9 is so transparant, it makes my phones sounding even more as if they are electrostats with good grip on the low notes. The review on Soundnews is spot-on I think, also when music has to sound raw, it will do so. Very happy with this investment into my listening pleasure 🎶
This is interesting, and in line with the tuning I think Topping is going for these days (dx9, l70, l30ii). I still have the 1st gen e30/l30 (my wife's stack now) and compared to those, the more recent topping amps (I have a l70) seem to be moving away from the neutral almost clinical sound to a more smooth sounding amp similar to class a/ab. The dx9 seems to be another step in this direction as you mentioned the dx9 gave you no listening fatigue vs the q7 (I'm guessing treble sibilance?).

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #56 of 60
This is interesting, and in line with the tuning I think Topping is going for these days (dx9, l70, l30ii). I still have the 1st gen e30/l30 (my wife's stack now) and compared to those, the more recent topping amps (I have a l70) seem to be moving away from the neutral almost clinical sound to a more smooth sounding amp similar to class a/ab. The dx9 seems to be another step in this direction as you mentioned the dx9 gave you no listening fatigue vs the q7 (I'm guessing treble sibilance?).
Treble sibilance, yes and also the DX9 gives you natural details, unlike for example with a television set when you turn the sharpness slider to the max, it starts to looking artifical.
Imho the sound of the DX9 is not round though, but very pleasant. Curious to read what other DX9 users think / hear.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #57 of 60
I just got DX9 and it sounds fabulous with Meze Elite on High Gain. Neutral and tons of details. I was not wanting to spend money on a Chord Hugo TT 2 and think this is good enough

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #58 of 60
I just got DX9 and it sounds fabulous with Meze Elite on High Gain. Neutral and tons of details. I was not wanting to spend money on a Chord Hugo TT 2 and think this is good enough
I 100% agree I love mine with all of my headphones.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #59 of 60
Just got my DX9 today - love seeing that "Out for Delivery" on the tracking... it is taking the place of a D90 I have so same DAC chip but the cool displays and another amplifier in the mix to try.

I was going to reallocate the D90 to another location to use with my Monoprice THX-887 that I was not using.

First impressions are good but I think I am seeing at least one thing I am not liking - I use the D90 and now the DX9 to drive my other amps as well - so I was going to use both the headphone amp in the DX9 and the Line out - but if I have DAC mode set to PRE then Line out is variable volume, just like Pre Out... which is not expected.

If I set DAC mode to DAC, then Line Out is still variable until I set Output to Line Out Only ( so no headphone amp usage.. ) and then it is a fixed volume as expected.

am I the only one that has noticed this? Nobody using both HPA and Line Out? Why have Line out be variable at all when you also have a Pre Out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back