New Topping DX9 AK4499 - 100% Balanced??
Jul 10, 2023 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Riversalt

100+ Head-Fier
No release date, or possible value, just been presented, no further details at this time.

1689011536407.png

Susvara!!! :scream:

1689011597678.png

1689011630421.png

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 61
Well, Topping is going back to the rounded shape design:slight_frown:.

Not bad, and surely a very good performer, but after the very elegant and performing combo D70 Pro Sabre/ A 90 Pro, I would have appreciated an integrated DAC/HP/preamp with the same kind of shape and finish and approximately the same level of performance.

I can't figure out which direction in design (internal and external) is taking Topping ? So many products very close from each other, so many series of products. That's a bit puzzling.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 61
They look like a bread factory, always more of the same. :beyersmile:
Well, not really: First time with the chip AKM4499EQ, and many more new chipsets...and a very nice casing and look !
...and it is now released and ready to test ! Who will be the first one to report sound impressions ?
I have been disapointed by the d70 Octo, so i'm just asking if I try Topping again...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 61
Well, not really: First time with the chip AKM4499EQ, and many more new chipsets...and a very nice casing and look !
...and it is now released and ready to test ! Who will be the first one to report sound impressions ?
I have been disapointed by the d70 Octo, so i'm just asking if I try Topping again...
Just out of curiosity, what did the D70 Octo have (or lack) that dissapointed you? Heard some mixed comments here and there. Some prefer it over the D70 Pro, others don't.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 61
Well I've found the sound of the D70 Octo somewhat lacking of weight/gravitas, and authority in the bass. Good soundstage but no "meat on the bone" if you see what I mean. And on the piano (THE test for me) I was missing some harmonics. But of course it was on my system with my room accoustic....
But I fear this is a kind of "Topping sound signature", because it is what I've also found on the D90. Hence my hesitations to try this DX9

And are the HP/preamp abilities not making the biggest part of the (for Topping) high price ? I do not need these, just an excellent DAC !

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 61
Looking for an amp that will drive the Modhouse Tungsten although the comment made above regards lacking authority in the bass now concerns me about this unit.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 61
My comment/impressions were related to the D70 Octo, not this DX9...
I have edited in the original message
I'm aware of that. My response was to the "Topping sound signature" remark. Assuming of course that it's also the case with the DX9. I will be holding out until some reviews are made.

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 61
Posted already in another DX9 thread although watched it myself this afternoon on you-tube:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back