New Topping DX9 AK4499 - 100% Balanced??
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 60
Mainly based on the review of Sandu on Sound news I purchased a DX9, have been using it now for approx. 2 weeks. I am very happy with it, enjoying the music so much, excellent match with my trusted HD800.
Grats on the DX9, it really looks great in my opinion 😊
What did you have before, and how do you feel the DX9 is an upgrade?

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 60
Mainly based on the review of Sandu on Sound news I purchased a DX9, have been using it now for approx. 2 weeks. I am very happy with it, enjoying the music so much, excellent match with my trusted HD800.
I'm considering pairing this with the Modhouse Tungsten. I wonder if the power output is enough?

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #34 of 60
I'm considering pairing this with the Modhouse Tungsten. I wonder if the power output is enough?
Maybe somebody knows how to calculate this for you.
I see your phones have a
Sensitivity: 78 dB/mW average,
Impedance: 135 ohm average.

The DX9 has a balanced output power:
4250mW × 2 @64Ω THD+N<1%
950mW × 2 @300Ω THD+N<1%

Even though you might get enough volume out of the DX9, my experience with HD800 is that lots of surplus power does help sometimes.

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #35 of 60
Grats on the DX9, it really looks great in my opinion 😊
What did you have before, and how do you feel the DX9 is an upgrade?
Thank you. Yes to me it feels very much an upgrade, compared to the Fiio Q7, which I have been using as DAC/HPA driving the HD800's (original).

Imho it is not a matter of more bass, treble or mids, but classical chamber music sounds more natural, at first it seemed a tiny bit less detailed, but it also feels a bit less nervous and more enjoyable. Electronic music can bring very nice euphoria like Boris Brejcha - Vienna on Qobuz.

It could be that the Q7 is not the best match for my phones, the DX9 turned out to be a very good match. I can now listen continuously album after album and more and no listening fatigue at all.

With most modern television sets you can change the picture sharpness, setting it too high it can give the impression of more details but it can also become exaggerated and unnatural. That also seems the case a bit with the Q7. But if you have less unforgiving phones then the Q7 might be a very good match.

The DX9 is so transparant, it makes my phones sounding even more as if they are electrostats with good grip on the low notes. The review on Soundnews is spot-on I think, also when music has to sound raw, it will do so. Very happy with this investment into my listening pleasure 🎶

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #36 of 60
Thank you. Yes to me it feels very much an upgrade, compared to the Fiio Q7, which I have been using as DAC/HPA driving the HD800's (original).

Imho it is not a matter of more bass, treble or mids, but classical chamber music sounds more natural, at first it seemed a tiny bit less detailed, but it also feels a bit less nervous and more enjoyable. Electronic music can bring very nice euphoria like Boris Brejcha - Vienna on Qobuz.

It could be that the Q7 is not the best match for my phones, the DX9 turned out to be a very good match. I can now listen continuously album after album and more and no listening fatigue at all.

With most modern television sets you can change the picture sharpness, setting it too high it can give the impression of more details but it can also become exaggerated and unnatural. That also seems the case a bit with the Q7. But if you have less unforgiving phones then the Q7 might be a very good match.

The DX9 is so transparant, it makes my phones sounding even more as if they are electrostats with good grip on the low notes. The review on Soundnews is spot-on I think, also when music has to sound raw, it will do so. Very happy with this investment into my listening pleasure 🎶
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, I appreciate that 👍

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 60
Maybe somebody knows how to calculate this for you.
I see your phones have a
Sensitivity: 78 dB/mW average,
Impedance: 135 ohm average.

The DX9 has a balanced output power:
4250mW × 2 @64Ω THD+N<1%
950mW × 2 @300Ω THD+N<1%

Even though you might get enough volume out of the DX9, my experience with HD800 is that lots of surplus power does help sometimes.
I roughly calculated it around 2 watts although in volts I don't know. One reviewer of the Tungsten stated that it would safely need with headroom 19v, from memory.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #39 of 60

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_094056_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216_094056_Brave.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #40 of 60
Thanks very much. I came real close to buying this amp recently although I am not happy that one has to buy a monster of an amp simply to drive these things. It's expensive enough to buy the phones and then to be hit hard again on a forced amp purchase.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #41 of 60
No problem, better safe then sorry. It looks like a very good HP, above HD800S, HE1000 just step back from the very top. Drawback , it needs lots of current and voltage (planar + 155ohm), sound is defined by synergy and power of amp. Z hosted Ryan (creator I think) and was trying amps with that very HP, you have it on youtube very fresh review.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #42 of 60
No problem, better safe then sorry. It looks like a very good HP, above HD800S, HE1000 just step back from the very top. Drawback , it needs lots of current and voltage (planar + 155ohm), sound is defined by synergy and power of amp. Z hosted Ryan (creator I think) and was trying amps with that very HP, you have it on youtube very fresh review.
Yes, I have seen those on YouTube. I am also looking at the new Dan Clark E3's, very nice. The DX9 would drive those no doubt. The DX9 is designed to supply lots of current, not voltage. What I like about the DX9 is it's an all in one package. I prefer these to separates, less clutter and cables and so on.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 60
Yes, I have seen those on YouTube. I am also looking at the new Dan Clark E3's, very nice. The DX9 would drive those no doubt. The DX9 is designed to supply lots of current, not voltage. What I like about the DX9 is it's an all in one package. I prefer these to separates, less clutter and cables and so on.
Look, I got A70 Pro with D70 Octo recently and really happy with combo. Today was listening to classical pieces ( Eric Santie, Beethowen, Chopin) with HD800S, it was just masterfull, hearing reverbs off the wall, inhales before pulling through violin string, chairs squeaking, just special. At a same time when I swap my set to LCD 2 2021 CB and start Fernanda Pistelli information keep hitting my eardrums with lots of pressure created by low frequencies flapping my ears . Didn't hear DX9 and believe its a good device, just its not meant for hardest to drive hp. I am believer that stack is better that AIO, plus takes less space.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #44 of 60
Look, I got A70 Pro with D70 Octo recently and really happy with combo. Today was listening to classical pieces ( Eric Santie, Beethowen, Chopin) with HD800S, it was just masterfull, hearing reverbs off the wall, inhales before pulling through violin string, chairs squeaking, just special. At a same time when I swap my set to LCD 2 2021 CB and start Fernanda Pistelli information keep hitting my eardrums with lots of pressure created by low frequencies flapping my ears . Didn't hear DX9 and believe its a good device, just its not meant for hardest to drive hp. I am believer that stack is better that AIO, plus takes less space.
When you hear the reverbs of the walls in the place it was recorded you just know that you have entered real hi-fi territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back