New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 21, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #8,207 of 9,411
Maybe I'm mis-reading your post... Personally, I *much* prefer to see albums listed under artists to be in chronological order, not alphabet. Not jabbing at you, I respect your opinion. It's just different than mine. :relaxed:
What’s in a name..... The chronological order of albums from one artist gives a line up as the artist develops in time. For music playback the chronological line up the makes the most sense. As a library concerned alfabetecilly is better.
SP1000 is music player not a library.
iTunes and Sonicstage (Sony mediaprogram introduced around 2004) use release year for album sort.

May 21, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #8,208 of 9,411
So you don’t have to rewright the whole firmware to change album sort. You only have to add a simple and a advanced mode in the strings of A&K s media server. In minim server running on my Melco nas, the following string made chronological album sort happening:

Album.sortTags={Artist, +Date}, Date.yearOnly.index

gives albums from: oldest first, newest last.

I don’t make any use of playlists at all, but found on the SP1000 playlist default “recently added“. So this is a nice feature.

Not changeable Simple mode for Dummies
Advanced mode for Nerds with only support: change to simple mode.

May 21, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #8,209 of 9,411
Have you recently opened the artist view on your AK? There is already a second level :) ... level/view 1: Artists in alphabetical order -> click an Artist and you are at -> level/view 2: albums of selected artist. Currently in alphabetical order, I'd appreciate a bit more flexibility to define this view's sort order.

We are not competing with our requests here. This thread offers us the ability to provide feedback. In particular because @JasonNYC is always patient and willing to listen and talk with the dev teams. This is sort of rare these days and this makes me feel even better with my AK.

I personally do not care at all about .cue sheets, I do not use them 100%. But so what? I am perfectly fine with your request anyway, because YOU have a use case. And if AK picks it up, so be it :D

Tolerance seems to be an even rarer gift nowadays.

I am not trying to compete or smth. I just gave an example of the issue that significantly changes your experience as a user, although I do understand that not everyone will notice the difference. And what you guys are arguing about is, in my opinion, the same as asking "why it's from A to Z, and not vice versa?". Or why the logo on the screen is in Times New Roman, 14 and not Arial 13. And actually, I believe that there will be people who prefer it this way.
Moreover, I am not against adding such features. I don't care as I will not even recognise the difference, so why should I be against them? I just wrote that I don't understand why it's bothering so many people and they even argue about this. It doesn't change your experience with the device. In 90% cases you even don't have so many albums or won't notice the difference anyway.
And tolerance - yeah, surely is is always a good thing...like in Star Wars, for example) Can't agree with you on that. Tolerance, tolerance everywhere)

May 21, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #8,210 of 9,411
Well it looked to me as if you were competing to keep your own request's importance above ours. And this in a fashion that you were judging other people's wishes and downplaying them based on claims that you know what 90% of our cases are. .... just think about it :wink:

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #8,211 of 9,411
So what you are saying: the challenge is to put as much features as possible into the soft-ware (so everyone can choose what he likes) without making it so slow that its not workable any more. Within the limitations of cpu capacity and hardware.
It's all about balance and smart thinking.
In a library the music is stored in a specific folder, this is what you choose as you start to built up your database. The tagging allows you to find the music more ways that a Finder can. The more info added gives you the opportunity to search deeper. The smarter you choose at the first place, the better you get along and are less dependend on decisions of others
I haven't seen the problems mentioned that classical music gives in tagging, these are must more complicated to get right (then year up or year down).

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #8,213 of 9,411
This thread did escalate quickly. Feel bad if anyone got offended in here. I thought some of the creative discourse filled in some blanks for me, but some snarkiness seemed to translate as well.

May 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #8,214 of 9,411
So anyways......., has anyone here ever polished or considered polishing the copper body of the SP1000 Copper version? I have some Metal Polishers at home and wondered if it was a good idea to polish the body of the device since the body will tarnish and patina overtime.

May 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #8,215 of 9,411
And this is so "not off-topic". It's about playing your music, usebility of the player, interface, source built-up. It comes all together in this topic about the behavior of the mediaplayer in A&K.
Is there a general thread on how to start a good structured music library anyway?
Me myself restructured/ rebuild up my data base several times now. So I have experience in exepting the fact that it ended up you choose wrong.
Now I am glad that I had support from someone more experenced.

May 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,216 of 9,411
So anyways......., has anyone here ever polished or considered polishing the copper body of the SP1000 Copper version? I have some Metal Polishers at home and wondered if it was a good idea to polish the body of the device since the body will tarnish and patina overtime.
There is a clear coating on the copper version. It will eventually tarnish as the clear coating may wear off over time, but the clear coating will slow down any tarnishing.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,217 of 9,411
Screen protector should work on covering up the diplay, but when residu get into the axe of the multi-wheel or under the side buttons you are screwed!

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #8,218 of 9,411
Thanks a lot! If the lacquer wears off maybe I can just repolish and spot lacquer the device carefully myself.

May 21, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #8,219 of 9,411
Thanks a lot! If the lacquer wears off maybe I can just repolish and spot lacquer the device carefully myself.
Or a solvend that binds copper oxide

May 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #8,220 of 9,411
Hi,

I am in the UK and have had a AK 380 Copper with Copper Amp, I think mine also had a coating at one time, I have owned mine for about three years and after about six months if I used it on a daily basis it would oxidise and I will get some green on my hands depending on the temperature that day. I use metal polish to clean it no problem, if I leave the Dap for a few days or longer it will really oxidise even if it is in a case that is closed. I hope that helps a bit.

Enjoy your Dap, what IEM's or Headphones are you using with it?

Enjoy your music and keep safe.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back