New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 19, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #8,191 of 9,411
Jason why the silence on the Roon implementation, if its been canceled, fine. I won't ask every again and fully understand. But when asked its been ignore, appreciate something. Thank you in advance.
I've given an update in several threads, I thought I did in this one as well a few pages back. I apologize if I didn't. Roon development is suspended for the foreseeable future. With COVID-19, most of our staff working from home and normal development without the need to coordinate testing and certification with another party, it is too much as the moment. We still would like to bring Roon support to AK players, especially after all the time and resources we have already put into it, but at the moment, we have no ETA for when it may happen.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 19, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #8,192 of 9,411
@JasonNYC, will the redesigned OS ever be ported to the SP1000(m)/SP2000 daps? As far as I know, the current OS for those players is based on Android 6, while the OS for SR25 is based on Android 9. As we all know Android 6 is really old already.

Judging by the SOC (they use the same SOC as Samsung Galaxy S6/S7 phones) used in the players and the amount of RAM they have (4 GB), SP1000(m)/SP2000, the hardware is more then capable of running Android 9 smoothly.

It would be great to have a more recent version of Android running on all the players to keep them compatible with all apps. A time will come when apps will require a higher version of Android then the current version 6 to be installed.
Our team is looking into it, but again, with our teams split up working from home and other challenges, there currently is no ETA at the moment.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 19, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #8,193 of 9,411
Maybe I'm mis-reading your post... Personally, I *much* prefer to see albums listed under artists to be in chronological order, not alphabet. Not jabbing at you, I respect your opinion. It's just different than mine. :relaxed:
Talking about chronological means you define the album release year. That is not something everybody define. Those who define the year represents only few users.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #8,194 of 9,411
Talking about chronological means you define the album release year. That is not something everybody define. Those who define the year represents only few users.
I have no knowledge of Apple (I only use only an very old ipod and iTunes and there it's only possible to sort by alphabet), but in the android ecosystem it's possible to give the chance to according your will (A&K OS is based on Android).
Of course, I can give only an suggestion to improve (a clothing store also offer more than one color per Clothing, right?)

Anyway stay strong and healthy

May 20, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #8,195 of 9,411
Sorry, been a hectic weekend, been slowly getting through the various AK threads and making my way to this one.

This has been requested a few times. I will check with our dev team and our support team about the new SR25. They completely redesigned the underlying OS for the SR25, so it may be something that was changed and will be making it's way back to the other players. I will follow up with them this week.

Then we ( i ) hope A&K/iriver give us ( me ) the chance to choose.

It should remove in the player also. Maybe it did not index correctly when first loaded on the player? Have you tried a manual media scan? Settings -" System reset -> Initialize Media Scan. Make sure "Clear Playlists" is NOT checked if you have playlists saved on your player. It can take up to 10 minutes depending on how many files are in internal and external memory.

Like i say, in the player it's been deleted, not after I plugged in the windows10 laptop, there I still can see the (empty) album folder
No matter, I can only report what I have noticed. If this is not reproducible or is not possible to correct, ok, no problem.

The physical buttons are there so you can control the player with the screen off or in a pocket or bag. Not sure if there would ever be an option to disable them, but I will pass on the suggestion.

That's only an suggestion.
Question, why A&K give us the chance to lock the volume wheel? (That you don't accidentally adjust the volume, right?)

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #8,196 of 9,411
Sorry, been a hectic weekend, been slowly getting through the various AK threads and making my way to this one.

This has been requested a few times. I will check with our dev team and our support team about the new SR25. They completely redesigned the underlying OS for the SR25, so it may be something that was changed and will be making it's way back to the other players. I will follow up with them this week.

It should remove in the player also. Maybe it did not index correctly when first loaded on the player? Have you tried a manual media scan? Settings -" System reset -> Initialize Media Scan. Make sure "Clear Playlists" is NOT checked if you have playlists saved on your player. It can take up to 10 minutes depending on how many files are in internal and external memory.

The physical buttons are there so you can control the player with the screen off or in a pocket or bag. Not sure if there would ever be an option to disable them, but I will pass on the suggestion.

Jason, since we are currently exchanging our information, I have another request. Can A&K keep an eye on the following bug: Albums with the same name are listed under an album in the album list. In the artist directory tree you can only see the thumbnail of the first album that was copied to the player (if this album is selected then the correct thumbnails will be shown. As an example, a photo in the attachment

Attachments

• IMG_20200520_085506.jpg
    IMG_20200520_085506.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
May 20, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #8,198 of 9,411
My workaround for this issue is to name the folders in the below fashion, then use folder view.

Artist Name (yyyy) - Album Name

This is how my entire collection is sorted. Makes life easier when checking which albums you have.

Just my 2c

May 20, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #8,199 of 9,411
Maybe I'm mis-reading your post... Personally, I *much* prefer to see albums listed under artists to be in chronological order, not alphabet. Not jabbing at you, I respect your opinion. It's just different than mine. :relaxed:
I have no knowledge of Apple (I only use only an very old ipod and iTunes and there it's only possible to sort by alphabet), but in the android ecosystem it's possible to give the chance to according your will (A&K OS is based on Android).
Of course, I can give only an suggestion to improve (a clothing store also offer more than one color per Clothing, right?)

Anyway stay strong and healthy
This is ridiculous nonsense. Most ripping and meta-data tools even add the year in an automatic fashion.
Why do you force people to only accept your opinion and to shut up? Just because you don't like the idea???

phew ...
My workaround for this issue is to name the folders in the below fashion, then use folder view.

Artist Name (yyyy) - Album Name

This is how my entire collection is sorted. Makes life easier when checking which albums you have.

Just my 2c
Thankfully, there are more than a few "voices of reason" around here! I've always come to these forums because I feel we are "amongst friends", especially when it comes to making some sense of tech that can be a little baffling sometimes! Thanks to all who offer constructive and helpful words!!!

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #8,200 of 9,411
Back in the days of wall long CD shelfs I had them organized exactly as requested. First by Artist (alphabetical order) and second by release year. I separated genres in different shelfs. This immediately showed the history of each band. Which perfectly reflects how a band started and evolved in time.

While there are several workarounds I too would appreciate a bit more flexibility in the way existing flags can be used to sort the various views. And I mean to provide us with a selector and NOT to choose the one option over the other.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #8,201 of 9,411
Despite the fact that there are a lot of different ways to search nowadays (by artist, album, genre, etc.) I use 95% of the time folder structure, where everything is systemized by myself, so I know where each of my songs is stored. So, I can't understand actually why this particular issue is so important and caused such an argument. If you want album or artist search it should be alphabetical, because otherwise, if you don't remember the year of the album this will be a problem. But "second" listing of albums under an artist - seriously? you think this is important? I doubt that the difference in order of 5-10 albums is anyhow not negligible, considering you see all of them on one screen.

What I wanted to see, and I wrote this here few pages before, is the ability to play an album as a separate songs using .cue sheet from anywhere, folder search included, instead of the only option from the album search, as this is not very convenient in my opinion.

May 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #8,202 of 9,411
But "second" listing of albums under an artist - seriously? you think this is important?

Have you recently opened the artist view on your AK? There is already a second level :) ... level/view 1: Artists in alphabetical order -> click an Artist and you are at -> level/view 2: albums of selected artist. Currently in alphabetical order, I'd appreciate a bit more flexibility to define this view's sort order.

What I wanted to see, and I wrote this here few pages before, is the ability to play an album as a separate songs using .cue sheet from anywhere, folder search included, instead of the only option from the album search, as this is not very convenient in my opinion.

We are not competing with our requests here. This thread offers us the ability to provide feedback. In particular because @JasonNYC is always patient and willing to listen and talk with the dev teams. This is sort of rare these days and this makes me feel even better with my AK.

I personally do not care at all about .cue sheets, I do not use them 100%. But so what? I am perfectly fine with your request anyway, because YOU have a use case. And if AK picks it up, so be it :D

Tolerance seems to be an even rarer gift nowadays.

May 20, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #8,205 of 9,411
And make sure you all format the micro SD card on the player itself first!!!!

And if you're removing the card to insert into the computer, unmount the card on the player first (through system information option)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back