New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #7,726 of 9,433
In a blindfold test, and with modern music, I couldn't tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit flac files. On most tracks I even failed to notice any difference in sound quality between 320 MP3 and flac files. The only difference I noticed was flac files using up more storage space.

Yeah!
While you' thinking, just to answer a couple of your questions...

Spkm is a very fun sound in my experience, and can be used as analytical in the peace of your home with silence, where you can enjoy all detail it can give. Of course, as said before by me and many others, what you feed is what you get, so make sure you use high def music, hopefully minimum 24 bit, and high end headphones or iems to hear the detail and musicality it delivers (in my opinion also use the balanced output, more 3d and stage) then you'll get bliss and music heaven.
Portability is great and my daily commute is quality listening, where pumping the volume to overcome the outside noise gives me more detail, but no harshness or unpleasant effects. This is in my opinion one of the great perks of owning quality components.

I don't enjoy so much spotify, tidal, etc. I can hear the difference in detail and quality and it bothers me.
In this same thread however, I've read that Qobuzz works very well, so I'm about to give that a try to listen to classical and jazz, to see how it goes.
I'll post impressions when I have some.

Hope it helps and happy choosing... :wink:

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #7,728 of 9,433
The difference between 128kbps and 16bit is striking. The differences between 320kbps and flac, in my opinion is not large enough to call it striking. To call something striking would be large enough for the average untrained ear to pick up. Most people are not tuned in like highly trained audiophiles are to pick up on subtle nuances between the files.

If you don't believe me take this test

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenex...s-with-this-blind-test-on-lossless-music/amp/

And, I stated above that I'm talking about modern music, not old music from decades ago that's been remastered. Studio recording techniques have improved drastically that even 320mp3 files sound high quality.

I would not admit that especially here because the difference between 16bit and 24bit (not to mention between 320 MP3 and flac files) is striking

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #7,729 of 9,433
Hi, hope this helps.

Sp1k (SS) vs
Sp1k (CU) vs
Spk (M onyx black)

Comparison done with same tracks.
IEMS Used:
64 Audio U12T & U18T
Shure 846
Westone W80

SP1K CU:
Warmer than SS & M
Deeper sub bass than SS & M
Smoother treble than SS & M

Sp1k SS:
Wider sound stage (width) than CU & M
Punchy mid bass than CU, lesser than (M)
Sparkly treble than CU, lesser than M

SpkM:
Forward mids than CU & SS
Sparkly treble than CU & SS
Punchy mid bass than CU & SS

NOTE:
DIFFERENCE IS VERY SUBTLE.

3 of them are very detailed. It's just a matter of preference.

received_1987206554914555.jpeg

As for the zx300, It can't keep up to the spk level and it isn't fair to compare it spk. But for budget wise, for portability and price to consider, it's still worth it.

received_10211982881595780.jpeg

Hope it helps. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #7,730 of 9,433
In a blindfold test, and with modern music, I couldn't tell the difference between 16bit and 24bit flac files. On most tracks I even failed to notice any difference in sound quality between 320 MP3 and flac files. The only difference I noticed was flac files using up more storage space.

One thing to keep in mind in this respect is that, if there's any part of your chain that will perform less then optimally, it becomes increasingly difficult for all the information contained in the files to arrive to you as music and all its intended nuances.
If your player is great, but headphones cannot express and transmit all the info they are spewing, then your experience will not be the same.

Then, you also have to know what you're looking for...
Some of those differences between lower bit files and 24 or above (again, using good gear) are noticeable as:
- increased instrument positioning
- increased detail retrieval
- increased realism of each instrument's sound
- better soundstage
etc.
If your expecting the music just to sound different, then you're missing the point.

One easy way to "practice" listening to these differences, as well as to test gear accuracy, is to listen to the same song-album in three or four different bit rates with the same gear (320kps, 16 bit, 24 bit, dsd if available).
If after a careful session like this you still don't hear a difference, then I'd tell you to upgrade headphones/iems and try it again!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #7,731 of 9,433
You've said in few words what many are debating for hundreds of pages about the differences of the Ultima variants,well done.I am more impressed that you have 3 of them actually and if you can spent another measly $11000 and do that with SP2000 variants you'll get another like and my eternal gratitude:ok_hand:

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #7,732 of 9,433
Hi, hope this helps.

Sp1k (SS) vs
Sp1k (CU) vs
Spk (M onyx black)

Comparison done with same tracks.
IEMS Used:
64 Audio U12T & U18T
Shure 846
Westone W80

SP1K CU:
Warmer than SS & M
Deeper sub bass than SS & M
Smoother treble than SS & M

Sp1k SS:
Wider sound stage (width) than CU & M
Punchy mid bass than CU, lesser than (M)
Sparkly treble than CU, lesser than M

SpkM:
Forward mids than CU & SS
Sparkly treble than CU & SS
Punchy mid bass than CU & SS

NOTE:
DIFFERENCE IS VERY SUBTLE.

3 of them are very detailed. It's just a matter of preference.

As for the zx300, It can't keep up to the spk level and it isn't fair to compare it spk. But for budget wise, for portability and price to consider, it's still worth it.

Hope it helps. Cheers!

It does, yes, thanks a lot!

If you don't mind — aside what the A&Ks bring to the table, which one would you say share an overall sound signature similar than the ZX300?

And where would you put the ZX300 sound signature on a "cold - neutral - warm" scale?

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #7,733 of 9,433
It does, yes, thanks a lot!

If you don't mind — aside what the A&Ks bring to the table, which one would you say share an overall sound signature similar than the ZX300?

And where would you put the ZX300 sound signature on a "cold - neutral - warm" scale?

I would say neutral-warm side.
As for the sound sig. It depends on your preference and budget. Budget wise and portability get SPKM and you'll still have the datails the Spk offer with very subtle differences. If budget allows you can get the Spk. CU a little warmer than SS. Again, differences are very subtle. Much better if you can try it before you decide.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #7,735 of 9,433
I would say neutral-warm side.
As for the sound sig. I depends on your preference and budget. Budget wise and portability get SPKM and you'll still have the datails the Spk offer with very subtle differences. If budget allows you can get the Spk. CU a little warmer than SS. Again, differences are very subtle. Much better if you can try it before you decide.

Cheers!
I can second that, I compared my SP1000M to the SP2000 and the differences were minor at best. The latter sounded a touch cleaner I guess, but even there I was kind of pulling on anything I could hear

In the end of the day, for what I am looking for, the Hugo 2 cleared them both in street shoes haha

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #7,736 of 9,433
I experience troubles in connecting my sp1000m to Win 10 PC for file transfer.
As I attach via cable, device starts to charge and that's all.
As I swipe down both buttons "USB mode" and "Ext USB" are turned off and cannot be turned-on.
What is wrong?

UPD seems, the device is able to work with USB 2.0 only

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #7,737 of 9,433
Hello,

I’ve had my SP1000SS for a little over a week (purchased used from a fellow headfier) and love it. I am posting in order to heck and see if it’s normal for it to get warm during playback: I have noticed that If I keep it under a blanket of i don’t make sure it’s not covered by something (in or out of the case... doesn’t matter) it tends to overheat and get warmer to the touch...never burning, but noticeable hot and it seems the battery drains quicker in that case.
Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #7,738 of 9,433
Hello,

I’ve had my SP1000SS for a little over a week (purchased used from a fellow headfier) and love it. I am posting in order to heck and see if it’s normal for it to get warm during playback: I have noticed that If I keep it under a blanket of i don’t make sure it’s not covered by something (in or out of the case... doesn’t matter) it tends to overheat and get warmer to the touch...never burning, but noticeable hot and it seems the battery drains quicker in that case.
Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks in advance!

Hey mate, I think we are in the same boat! I just recently bought an B-Stock SP1000 last week and also loving it.

When I was testing different AK DAPs (SA700, SP1000, SP1000M), I found them all operating wayyy warmer than my Sony WM1A.
I think it's just how they operate, especially with the screen on and with heavy use. My old AK120 II did the same if i recall correctly.

It definitely doesn't get as warm while the screen is off and listening for extended periods of time so I would say its normal. Well, at least for me.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #7,740 of 9,433
Battery will drain faster with the screen on. Under a blanket seems to be asking for trouble. I use mine in a leather case and it DOES get warm to the touch, but not hot.

Hey mate, I think we are in the same boat! I just recently bought an B-Stock SP1000 last week and also loving it.

When I was testing different AK DAPs (SA700, SP1000, SP1000M), I found them all operating wayyy warmer than my Sony WM1A.
I think it's just how they operate, especially with the screen on and with heavy use. My old AK120 II did the same if i recall correctly.

It definitely doesn't get as warm while the screen is off and listening for extended periods of time so I would say its normal. Well, at least for me.

thank you both! glad I’m not alone. I’ll try not to fall asleep with it under the blankets :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back