New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #3,963 of 9,409
I'm old and I hear the difference between 2.5 and 3.5 with my Zeus.

WHY would a company make a newer, cheaper device and undercut the more expensive one? Anyone can say anything, but no one is going to convince me that a canny company like AK would say "hey, here's a newer cheaper version of the SP1000, it sounds better than the SP1000, you should buy it for $1K less and leave all the SP1000's to be remaindered on eBay for discount prices because, well, we really want you to save a grand." Seriously?

And to the poster who can't tell the difference between a cell phone and an AK: cool, save your money and be happy. You just saved $3500 at no loss to your ears.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3,964 of 9,409
AK say the M sounds better because of the layout of the components specifically the anolog line is shorter resulting in lower noise, some things being closer together and giving the sound more power.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,965 of 9,409
AK say the M sounds better because of the layout of the components specifically the anolog line is shorter resulting in lower noise, some things being closer together and giving the sound more power.

Can you please post a link to the official A&K statement saying that? Or did you talk to A&K rep directly who told you those exact words?

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,970 of 9,409
maybe they sold more 1000 units than predicted or have a new smaller design foot print that they prefer to move forward with so not interested in keeping the larger 1000 out there or having to have the machinery to produce more.

This could line up a whole new range of models with smaller foot print. who cares about the whys and what ifs......just enjoy the ride.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3,971 of 9,409
There's probably two possibilities. First that the Spkm DOES sound slightly better than the Spk because of a slightly improved amp, but because it lacks the ability to integrate an amp, it will fall inferior to a Spk+amp. Therefore, the original Spk owners would be obliged to purchase an amp, so that the sound performance of the Spk could still remain as AK's TOTL.

Or, another alternative to this problem is that, though AK probably has the ability to make a DAP by the size of Spkm that sound as equally, if not superior to the Spkm. But due to marketing and business considerations, they would intentionally make the Spkm sound inferior to that of Spk. Such as certain sonic limits hardwired to its firmware, which would bring certain subtle, yet noticeable and decisive differentiations from it and the Spk. This difference would be further enlarged by the prospective amp that would only fit Spk.

However, we would never know before the coming of rmaf canjam.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #3,973 of 9,409
Why are people so freaking out by sp1km being better? This happens all the time in the electronic industries.
Cheaper but better, more powerful products being released every year if not sooner. Why would there be an
exception in portable audio world...Does it always have to be more expensive to sound better? I do not
believe AK would make their product intentionally worse because of its predecessor. They also need to think
about their competitors releasing new product at this price range.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #3,974 of 9,409
I feel so funny seeing people doubting any hearing impression or comment that a lower cost dap may be of “better” than a older generation more expensive (ex-) totl product. Are we being spoilt by vendors in believing more expensive = better?

Rather than to be critical and doubtful, I suggest that we should adopt a open mind when receiving these info.

1) it’s a new product so what’s wrong with being improved and better despite of costing lesser?

2) as a consumer , isn’t it better if ak can make it better, smaller and cost lesser ?

3) forget about sounding better, even if it’s going to sound the same, to me it’s already better value

Personally I will still go for a audition and try it out to see if it’s sound signature is up to my preference.

It may be a marketing thing or just a small handful of people citing different observations , but who buy dap based on pure observations now ? I know it’s going to be generally available soon so let’s wait and go try them whenever you can spot one :)

Ps : i think it’s nothing wrong for a company to put out lesser cost , better product than previous but asking for a official statement that it sounds better? Eh. I don’t think so. :p

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #3,975 of 9,409
Looking for some help. I am running audirvana on my mac and can not get it to output dsd to the sp1000. It only shows that it can playback at 384 pcm. My idsd black label gets the dsd from AUDIRVANA with no problem. Is this a known issue with the sp1000?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back