New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #2,896 of 9,409
I recently noticed most of the album covers are not displayed anymore in Album.
does anyone have this issue and was able to solve it ?
FYI, only the Flac that are located on the SD card are affected

I find with the latest update i have to do regular rescans to see artwork. Its no biggie as it rescans pretty quick.
This includes playing from folders as well.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,898 of 9,409
Asking me? I used XLD for a long time, and still do for some things, but I paid for dBpower after trying it and like it quite a bit. Rips much faster than XLD. But it can't handle a .cue like XLD can, so different tools for different needs.

Hmm...which app from dbpower do you recommend instead of XLD? batch ripper or perfect tunes? Also, would you recommend yates over tag editor?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,899 of 9,409
From my experience (with a Mac), Yate is the best tag editor out there. Although I have found a few files that I can not correctly tag even with it- something is buried deep within the file that Yate can't get to. Those files end up in a separate folder as opposed to being contained with the other files they came with. I have a couple of Neil Young songs that I cannot get clean tags on, even by converting them to WAV and back to FLAC. But 99.9% of my files work perfectly.

dBpoweramp Music Converter. Mine will batch, convert and rip. Although I still use XLD and xAct for things it won't do. They are free, so no harm no foul.

I have no experience with Perfect Tunes, it seems to be something you use with your music library, which is not what we are discussing here re tagging and ripping.

Nearly all the posts here re music not showing up or behaving strangely can be traced back to tagging. It can take some time to re-tag, but once you have everything arranged correctly, problems disappear. This also applies to how you have your files arranged in the Music folders. If you do clean folder hierarchy, you forego lots of issues. I have folders of artists by name with individual album folders inside. If I have a single album, the folder is clearly labeled with the artist's name and the album title. I embed all my album art. And I steer clear of punctuation symbols that can mess things up. Certainly, remove ANYTHING not a music file from your folders (unless you use art that way, and then it should be less than 500X500 and labeled correctly). No .txt files, etc. Some folks use alpha folders (A-L, M-Z) to store their music folders in. But as long as you are organized, things work.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #2,900 of 9,409
I find with the latest update i have to do regular rescans to see artwork. Its no biggie as it rescans pretty quick.
This includes playing from folders as well.

@olddude
Re scanning the library didn't solve the issue.
Maybe the database was broken.
I had to re-synced everything to get the Album covers back as usual.
The cover is embedded in the Flac.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #2,901 of 9,409
You re-synced with your computer? Did you pull the card, delete the files and then reload them? Then put it back in the SP, let it rescan and it worked?

If you have the images embedded in FLAC, I wonder if you have a problem with the card.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,903 of 9,409
Guys, im very close to pulling the trigger on the SP100, however as a newbie to this thread and being someone who doesn't really have the time to read 194 pages (yes I know,im lazy) im wondering if someone can help me with a couple of queries I have.

SS or Copper? Is there really any noticeable difference in sound?

I like the look of the copper version slightly more but worry about tarnishing, although in saying that the SS will compliment my silver Chord Dave (Yes I know I am sad lol). What will it look like in 3,6,9,12 months?

I use JRiver on my MAC and creating playlists for my previous DAP's (QP1R & WM1A & WM1Z) and file transfer has been a breeze. Can I expect the same experience with the SP1000?

It would also be great to hear from someone who still has the WM1Z or had it and now has the SP1000 for comparisons.

Both replies on here or PM welcome

Thank you in advance

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #2,904 of 9,409
Guys, im very close to pulling the trigger on the SP100, however as a newbie to this thread and being someone who doesn't really have the time to read 194 pages (yes I know,im lazy) im wondering if someone can help me with a couple of queries I have.

SS or Copper? Is there really any noticeable difference in sound?

I like the look of the copper version slightly more but worry about tarnishing, although in saying that the SS will compliment my silver Chord Dave (Yes I know I am sad lol). What will it look like in 3,6,9,12 months?

I use JRiver on my MAC and creating playlists for my previous DAP's (QP1R & WM1A & WM1Z) and file transfer has been a breeze. Can I expect the same experience with the SP1000?

It would also be great to hear from someone who still has the WM1Z or had it and now has the SP1000 for comparisons.

Both replies on here or PM welcome

Thank you in advance
SS vs Cu: Difference is subtle but still audible. Cu adds a touch of air and a splash of warmth to SS sound signature.

Tarnishing: After 7 months of daily use, my SP1000Cu does not show any sign of tarnishing yet.

File transfer with Mac: No problem, though you need to use Android File Transfer app, which can be downloaded from AK website.

WM1Z vs SP1000Cu: Technically SP1000, is superior to WM1Z (e.g. better resolution, separation, staging, etc.). On the other hand, WM1Z provides organic and musical listening. So I use SP1000Cu for critical and analytical listening, while I use WM1Z for relaxed listening for pure joy.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,905 of 9,409
Because in this topic are more SP100 owners so I ask my question here:

How can I know/see that I bought a real A&K SP1000?
I ask this question because I see/hear different places where the ser.no has to be. Also I can not find on the website of A&K a check page/register page.
Already thanks for your answers.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,906 of 9,409

I ask this question because I see/hear different places where the ser.no has to be. Also I can not find on the website of A&K a check page/register page.

I strongly recommend to buy it from an authorized dealer, if anything happened your player will be cover under warranty.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,908 of 9,409
Check out the color of the leather case that comes with the unit!!
It's on AK website (follow the link above).
@JasonNYC, is it possible to buy this case? Or this is just for the limited edition?
Just found out the black case is only for the limited edition Black Onyx SP1000 and will not be sold separately.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,910 of 9,409

The serial number for the SP1000 can be found on the back side of the microSD card tray when you remove it.

SP1000_serial.jpg

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back