New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,381 of 9,409
Did you get the Black Encore limited editions? They are to die for imho...

No, I didn't know they existed. I don't mind the blue, and ended up getting it for $1727 OTD, which compared to US price was a nice little savings.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,382 of 9,409
I do not agree with you on this. I find that with the AMP3 on the 200 I get a little more spacial information on the DX200 compared to the WM1Z and a little better dynamic contrasts. This is on Mango, FW 2.3 and using the Utopia, Twau V2 cable. Having said this, I still enjoy the WM1Z a lot with a great ability to convey what is recorded in a realistic manner.

That's fine to disagree. Found the DX200 a bit veiled but have not tried it with the amp3 module.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,383 of 9,409
That's fine to disagree. Found the DX200 a bit veiled but have not tried it with the amp3 module.
If you found the DX200 veiled then I can not wait to hear the SP1000. Mine will be delivered tomorrow and I'm upgrading from the DX200 which I think sounds fantastic with Amp 1 and is head and shoulders above (and less veiled sounding) then my previous Sony DAPs, ZX2 and WM1A. Hopefully my expectations are not too high. The DX200 really is a fantastic DAP and a tremendous value relative to it's competition.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,384 of 9,409
I suggest you guys give your SP1000 a 100 hour burn in. I was quite busy this week and hooked it up to a pair of cheap IEMs to let it play while charging. Today I picked it up again and the vocal is clearly more holographic and centered than it was. I heard that it takes more than 300 hours to fully open up, but now that it is at around 100 hours the sound is already noticeably different (better). YMMV.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,386 of 9,409
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,388 of 9,409
If you found the DX200 veiled then I can not wait to hear the SP1000. Mine will be delivered tomorrow and I'm upgrading from the DX200 which I think sounds fantastic with Amp 1 and is head and shoulders above (and less veiled sounding) then my previous Sony DAPs, ZX2 and WM1A. Hopefully my expectations are not too high. The DX200 really is a fantastic DAP and a tremendous value relative to it's competition.
It sounds like you have a preference for a slightly warmer/thicker sound. The sp1000 may not do it for you. Have you tried the Cowon S or the 1z?

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #1,389 of 9,409
It sounds like you have a preference for a slightly warmer/thicker sound. The sp1000 may not do it for you. Have you tried the Cowon S or the 1z?
Quite the opposite. I do not like a warm signature at all. My view on the Sony DAP's could be a bit jaded since at the time I was trying to find a good match for my Campfire Andromeda which have since found a home collecting dust in my desk drawer. With the way they respond to input impedance levels I couldn't find a signature that worked for me so moved on. Right now for mobile I'm using the DX200 with InEar Prophile 8's which is a fairly "reference" set up. I'm switching to the SP1000 with 64Audio U18's which I expect to maintain a similar tuning but with enhanced dynamics. If they turn out to lean even closer to bright then all the better. I also use a pure silver litz cable to insure warmth is kept at by as well.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #1,390 of 9,409
My A18 arrive tomorrow, the good folks of 64 Audio were kind enough to send me a few shots after they were buff, very excited to plug these into my SP1000.
just in time for the long weekend.

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

Here is a shot of them working on the watch gears.

IMG_0083.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,392 of 9,409
My A18 arrive tomorrow, the good folks of 64 Audio were kind enough to send me a few shots after they were buff, very excited to plug these into my SP1000.
just in time for the long weekend.

Here is a shot of them working on the watch gears.

Those look incredible. Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,393 of 9,409
@JasonNYC

On the latest firmware and prior 2 versions there is a problem importing M3U playlist files on Mac using AFT. I don't believe the connection timeout is set correctly because AFT always locks up and crashes, but the playlist still manages to copy and index properly. When I use Windows, it takes up to a minute for the M3U file to complete the copy, but no issues. I'm guessing the AK OS is indexing all of the tracks on the M3U file so it takes some time to do. Unfortunately it appears that AFT considers that processing time as a lost connection and throw up the "failed to copy" error, then crashes. Also please add a way to sort playlist by name.

Thanks

Edit - yes, I forgot I had the volume up to 145 due to the distortion issue. Fortunately selected a song with a very quiet beginning and caught it time before blowing my ears out.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,395 of 9,409
Quite the opposite. I do not like a warm signature at all. My view on the Sony DAP's could be a bit jaded since at the time I was trying to find a good match for my Campfire Andromeda which have since found a home collecting dust in my desk drawer. With the way they respond to input impedance levels I couldn't find a signature that worked for me so moved on. Right now for mobile I'm using the DX200 with InEar Prophile 8's which is a fairly "reference" set up. I'm switching to the SP1000 with 64Audio U18's which I expect to maintain a similar tuning but with enhanced dynamics. If they turn out to lean even closer to bright then all the better. I also use a pure silver litz cable to insure warmth is kept at by as well.
Maybe a better word is "lush" rather than warm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back