New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,187 of 9,409
Yes! I am one the owner of 380 who consider doing that

There are objective, factual reasons to upgrade. If you value any or all of the following, then SP1000 would be an upgrade for you:
  • Faster UI
  • Larger screen
  • About 2 hrs longer battery life
  • USB-C charge and data rate (high speed data only in Windows due to AFT for Mac)
  • OTG support for external drives
  • Nearly 2x power in balanced mode
  • The SP1000 is rectangular and doesn't look like a Picasso painting
One more potential benefit would be if you use the AK3xx amp. Depending on your headphones, you may get comparable sound with the SP1000 without the need to carry around an external amp. I say "potential" because the AK3xx amp still has more power than the SP1000 so you would definitely need to audition to make sure.

If none of the above applies to you and you are happy with your headphones and AK380, I personally would not upgrade a one generation improvement and wait for another cycle or 2.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,188 of 9,409
There are objective, factual reasons to upgrade. If you value any or all of the following, then SP1000 would be an upgrade for you:
  • Faster UI
  • Larger screen
  • USB-C charge and data rate (high speed data only in Windows due to AFT for Mac)
One more potential benefit would be if you use the AK3xx amp. Depending on your headphones, you may get comparable sound with the SP1000 without the need to carry around an external amp. I say "potential" because the AK3xx amp still has more power than the SP1000 so you would definitely need to audition to make sure.

If none of the above applies to you and you are happy with your headphones and AK380, I personally would not upgrade a one generation improvement and wait for another cycle or 2.

You forgot upgradatis as a reason, as long as the performances is a side grade or an upgrade, this is another reason :D

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,189 of 9,409
Our team is currently testing various products out. Will report when we have some more info

If this can be helpful, I tested the battery life when playing from my external USB SSD Samsung T3 - 500Gb ( $ 190 ) :

6h45 playing from the USB SSD instead of 10h playing from internal memory
(with no USB storage attached), with the exact PCM play list.

IMG_4902.jpg

Samsung T3 prix.png

So we can conclude that the USB SSD power consumption is 1/2 of the SP1000, and therefore it reduce by 1/3 the battery life. This is quite a battery life drop but still less than I expected.

Next step could be to do the same test with a 500 Gb SD card used with a USB-C card reader. I guess power consumption will be less... I hope. I just need to put my hand on a 500gb SD card. Anyone... ?

Kingston SDA10_512Gb.jpg

and also to test other mini USB SSD

Mini SSD.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #1,190 of 9,409
  • Faster UI
  • Larger screen

Actually I would forego all features if the sq was better and the sq is better than the 380 by a mile. It's the first ak that I am tempted to purchase.

Though I wish the fit and finish was better around the volume/control wheel... Seems flimsy I'm concerned this is going to be a major servicing /maintenance point later. Also wish they would finally go away from 2.5mm TRRS. If nothing but just on durability basis - all sq discussions aside.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,191 of 9,409
Actually I would forego all features if the sq was better and the sq is better than the 380 by a mile. It's the first ak that I am tempted to purchase.

Though I wish the fit and finish was better around the volume/control wheel... Seems flimsy I'm concerned this is going to be a major servicing /maintenance point later. Also wish they would finally go away from 2.5mm TRRS. If nothing but just on durability basis - all sq discussions aside.

In terms of SQ, that is a subjective opinion. Even your statement "by a mile" is open for debate. However, I personally would not say the SP1000 is ahead of AK380 "by a mile so" I would advise you to wait for another generation because $3500 is a lot of dollars only to be have one's expectations fall short.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #1,192 of 9,409
In terms of SQ, that is a subjective opinion. Even your statement "by a mile" is open for debate. However, I personally would not say the SP1000 is ahead of AK380 "by a mile so" I would advise you to wait for another generation because $3500 is a lot of dollars only to be have one's expectations fall short.

Yeah.. I agree. However my opinion is my opinion and that I do not think will change at this point. All the AK before this fell short in SQ but the sp1000 now puts it into my short list.

The only issue I have at this point is not sq but:

a) The sightly disappointing volume wheel to chassis fit/finish which worries me a bit with its extra amount of play and the axle seems quite thin and flimsy. I'm worried a drop would damage/snap it.

b) The 2.5mm TRRS I wish could be like Sony's 4.4mm or even 3.5mm but I guess I could live with it. Just need to be extra careful of not snapping the thing.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,196 of 9,409
Mm...please post tarnishing after a few days. I think it was mentioned before that the new cu is tarnish-proof (sort of a laminate). TIA.
Sure and the tarnishing will start with the leather cover. I really love my SS version ... and nothing will make me think again about any AK copper version until they found a definitive solution against oxydation / tarnishing....

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,198 of 9,409
IMG_8917.JPG I am using the below combination and cannot have the music files read from the external drive, can some shed a light pls?

My card is Kingmax pro 32G via a USB card reader before entering the Apple USB c digital av multiport.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back