New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #212 of 9,406
So buy this AK and not use its dacs plus only 1 SD slot?
To quote a Jay and Silent Bob film,
"He's blunt, but he's got a point" :D

I kind of agree with both of you.
@musicday , it sounds like a heavenly combination: TOTL DAP (and UI, ease of use, etc) albeit only 1 card slot, plus Hugo goodness.
Maybe there'd be some kind of synergy. Like two members of a Royal family getting married lol.
Either way, it's a combination only for the strong-hearted, with wallets of steel :p

May 26, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #214 of 9,406
IMO, I only mix and matches for desktop pieces, otherwise, portables means portability to me, a single DAP that drives headphones with acceptable power and performances....otherwise, how else would it justify the pricing of these ridiculous DAP

May 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #215 of 9,406
Mm..there are no rules. Mix and match your equipment to your heart's content. Or keep it simple. It is what makes this hobby so much fun.

you are right, this is why I will try "SR009 on the move" with... AK SP1000 + KingSound M-03 portable battery operated energizer + SR009 :wink:

KS03-SR009 2.JPG
KS03-SR009 1.JPG

I have little hopes, but sometime there are good surprises.... and if it does not sound good enough, I will be able to use it as an external 6.200 mA battery (it has USB 5,0 volts out to recharge the DAC)

KingSound back.jpg

Of course, at home, BHSE wins.....

BHSE-KS03 1.JPG

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #216 of 9,406
Mm...you are going for the SP 1000 SS? After your mini-impression, I am mighty tempted to add the SP 1000 SS to my DAP collection. Yesterday, my dealer here sent me an FB messenger inquiry if I
was interested in the SP 1000 SS (quoted at U.S. retail price). I am kinda' on the fence right now, specially that I am also tempted by the LCD i4 (I know it's apples and oranges). And on the 28th of this month, Mass Kobo will hold a demo in Manila for their newest balanced headphone amp, the 406 !! I am a huge fan of Mass Kobo. Then, of course, there's the Stax T8000 on the horizon.....possible replacement for my 007Tii as a partner for my 009. Then, this June I will be receiving the big one. Lol!

Let us know if your experiment works.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #217 of 9,406
IMO, I only mix and matches for desktop pieces, otherwise, portables means portability to me, a single DAP that drives headphones with acceptable power and performances....otherwise, how else would it justify the pricing of these ridiculous DAP

This...

May 26, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #218 of 9,406
mm..from experience, the AK 380 cu can adequately drive most headphones and with the cu amp, it can drive just about any headphone. The SP 1000, as I understand it, is more powerful. Ergo, it can stand on its own (with headphones). But you guys keep on harping on the fun aspect of this hobby, i.e., mixing and matching different equipment, as a weakness of the SP 1000. Of course, it is not a weakness.

I challenge you guys to audition and test the SP 1000 (without an external amp) with your headphones before nitpicking on this and that. Then post your impression. I'd be interested to read that.

Yes, it is expensive. WE KNOW THAT. Can we move beyond the pricing issue? This is not a cheap-fi thread.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #219 of 9,406
Let's forget about the price for now, what i am interested is how good are the iRiver guys in replacing the batteries.
Let's say that i do not want to upgrade my music player and want to keep it 4-5 years at least,but in that time i will need to have batteries replaced 2-3 times depending how often i use and charge the player.
Do they offer after warranty expires good service?

May 26, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #220 of 9,406
Everyone knows Iriver Daps are not cheap, so the constant bashing about its price, is old. I agree with Raypin, this is not a cheapfi thread.
I own the AK380 cu it cant drive high impedance cans well, with IEM its outstanding,
It looks as though the SP1000 will be able to drive harder to drive phones better on balanced and the balanced out, looks as though its been addressed.

May 26, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #221 of 9,406
Let's forget about the price for now, what i am interested is how good are the iRiver guys in replacing the batteries.
Let's say that i do not want to upgrade my music player and want to keep it 4-5 years at least,but in that time i will need to have batteries replaced 2-3 times depending how often i use and charge the player.

At least for USA, the new AK online store has improved support response. I asked about battery replacement about 6 months ago and was told out of warranty battery replacement is $60.

May 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #222 of 9,406

Mm...I wanted to RWAK my first AK, the 240. I inquired whether it is possible to have an original, brand-new battery installed. I was told it was not possible since iRiver does not sell the battery. My 240 is now 3 years old and it can still last at least 6 hours (FLACs mostly). However, I plan to keep this till it stops playing. When I need extra battery life, I just plug a portable power bank while playing. Not ideal but given the circumstance, it will have to do. Perhaps, A&K will allow for user-replaceable battery. That is how I have extended the life of my Hifiman HM 801 (from waaaayyy back then) and the iBasso DX 100. Both ancient DAPs still works perfectly.

I have tried contacting iRiver for battery replacement. No response. Getting through to them via email is a terrible experience.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #223 of 9,406
Mm...I wanted to RWAK my first AK, the 240. I inquired whether it is possible to have an original, brand-new battery installed. I was told it was not possible since iRiver does not sell the battery. My 240 is now 3 years old and it can still last at least 6 hours (FLACs mostly). However, I plan to keep this till it stops playing. When I need extra battery life, I just plug a portable power bank while playing. Not ideal but given the circumstance, it will have to do. Perhaps, A&K will allow for user-replaceable battery. That is how I have extended the life of my Hifiman HM 801 (from waaaayyy back then) and the iBasso DX 100. Both ancient DAPs still works perfectly.

I have tried contacting iRiver for battery replacement. No response. Getting through to them via email is a terrible experience.

You should have told me this battery issue before I went to Munich. I will have asked for you to the A&K team about it.

May 27, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #224 of 9,406

HM-801 is one helluva DAP, sound wise, and my HM-901 w/balanced card is still my go-to desktop source even with my AK240, AK380, KANN and my WM1Z is around. Why don't someone make a DAP with a Sony/AK/iPod UI with the HFM's sound signature? I'll be the first in front of the queue to get one LoL

May 27, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #225 of 9,406
Mm..Hifiman HM 801 has analog sound. For days when I just want to enjoy classic rock n roll, standards, etc. It has something to do with the warmth and musicality of a Burr Brown chip. The HM 901 S is more reference-cy. It has its place as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back