New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #7,996 of 9,409
Hey Jason. Maybe have your engineers renumber the previous firmware and push it out again so we can at least get to half our music. When I turn my device off and then back on again, all of the sd card files don't show. And a rescan doesn't always work. I can go to Folder, but maybe a quicker fix is in order while they figure out what they broke.

Also, the Volume warning, while a good idea, seems not to be well implemented. I listen at about 60 +/- 5 or so. So I'm at 55 and a new song comes up and it's mastered at a lower volume. I spin the dial to get to 60 and nothing happens because the volume locks until I clear it. I finally disabled it. I expected it to only cut in at higher volumes that could hurt our hearing.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #7,997 of 9,409
Agreed, it’d be nice to push out the previous firmware. Just got my sp1000m (bad timing, I guess) and it’s been a frustrating experience so far with loading my music files.

Also have to agree with the volume warning. With my iems, I just had to disable it as I listen above 60.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #7,998 of 9,409
I would also ADD :
- the new firmware deleted all the playlist files I had in my DAPs (both). And all my. files seem not to appear in the DAPs.
i have copy or these files in my laptop, so the engineers should allow to copy past the playlist files in the internal memory of the DAP and it will be solved forever
- about the volume level, 60 is even less to me, depending on the Headphone you use, I have headphones needing up to 80. at least 70 would be acceptable

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7,999 of 9,409
The files are likely there, the device is just not reading them. Since files don't show up under Artist or Album but do under SD Card Folder, clearly they ARE there. They just aren't being scanned. I would hope/expect that the previous firmware would allow for a complete scan, which is why I suggested AK revert back to it until the current firmware is fixed. Which seems to be taking more than a day or two.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #8,000 of 9,409
I've been reading through this thread, but it's 533 pages!@ Has there been a consensus on whether and/or which firmware updates have negatively affected sound quality?

I've got a SP1000 that is still on firmware 1.04. I cancel every time the update screen appears. I don't use playlists. Streaming is only from my NAS and works fine. There are some new features I'd like but none eclipse my concern for sound quality. I know AK says firmware doesn't affect SQ but there are a lot of concerns expressed regarding updates degrading SQ. Since there's no going back, should I stay antiquated until some feature or fix is absolutely necessary or have the newest firmware versions solved the past complaints?

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #8,001 of 9,409
I've never heard a difference, firmware to firmware, using three different AK's. But if you like the one you are on, there's probably no reason to upgrade. There have been some system fixes, likely some security fixes, you can now see albums listed by name or cover, but that's about it. I certainly wouldn't update now, as the most current one broke scanning to the sdCard. It's in the process of being fixed, but clearly now is not the time to upgrade.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #8,004 of 9,409
Well, all song files (nearly 7000) and the albums they are in have been scanned and are showing under Artist and Album. However, Playlists are still the same. Only Internal songs are showing, anything that was on the SdCard is still missing. It may be that they will need to be manually added back into each playlist. So somewhat good news at least. Unless of course you had a gazillion playlists, in which case well, as the British say, you are buggered.

Edit. Rescanning now. It has started entirely from scratch, so Recently Added shows zero songs. Now, after a minute, it's showing 1000. As I recall, doing a media scan shouldn't start from zero after everything is shown. I could be wrong about that.

Second edit. Yep, no songs from card have been placed on the Playlists. I did try to manually add a song from the card to a playlist and it worked, so the device is reading card files when it comes to playlists.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #8,005 of 9,409
@JasonNYC @olddude

On my side, the update looks OK so far... but I went through some weird issues.
I'm on W10
No music on internal memory, the music is located on my 512 MicroSD with over 12000 songs

I just updated the device with the new firmware.
I had an issue when the device was not recognized by my laptop when i plugged it in via USB over MTP, it also messed up with my USB hub (by disconnecting the other devices) like the hub was faulty.
I changed the cable and also plugged it directly to the USB port (no hub) with no luck.
I deleted the SP1000 "device" using the device manager and the device was able to reinstall itself after i re plugged it on the USB hub
I transferred the Playlists that were previously empty... no luck so far.
I initialized a full media rescan on the SP1000 device then was able to copy the playlists (on Internal mem). Make sure the database is up to date before transfering the playlists.

Did some testing like restarting many times the devices.
The Playlists are there and working
The media scan takes 30 seconds and disappears as expected.

Now everything seems back to normal

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #8,006 of 9,409
I've been reading through this thread, but it's 533 pages!@ Has there been a consensus on whether and/or which firmware updates have negatively affected sound quality?

I've got a SP1000 that is still on firmware 1.04. I cancel every time the update screen appears. I don't use playlists. Streaming is only from my NAS and works fine. There are some new features I'd like but none eclipse my concern for sound quality. I know AK says firmware doesn't affect SQ but there are a lot of concerns expressed regarding updates degrading SQ. Since there's no going back, should I stay antiquated until some feature or fix is absolutely necessary or have the newest firmware versions solved the past complaints?
Have way back. So some member quickly alternative fw to compare sq.
He said there was sq changed from his hearing by bare ears. No measure.
I dont like 4 Volts output level of spk. So I want fw version just before that update.
If the hw specs are suit for 4V I guess the dap would be designed 4V at the begining

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #8,007 of 9,409
with the new firmware is it possible to copy the playlist file from computer to the internal memory? I haven't updated with the new firmware yet.

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #8,010 of 9,409
@Samuel777

Yes, no more playlists can be located on ext memory.
Your playlists must me located on internal memory to work.
Thanks,
But my question was to know if someone has tried to copy-paste a playlist file from his computer to the internal memory of the DAP after this new firmware, because that was not possible before. and if it works with no problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back