New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #5,012 of 9,406
I agree but it's a pity that at this price level they don't include a charger in the box ...

Agreed. You spend $3,500 on a TOTL DAP, and they can't include a $20-$30 Anker charger??? Terrible IMO☹️

I was bit by the Anker upgrade bug a few years ago, and now EVERY piece of my charging setups is ALL Anker stuff. Cables, chargers, USB batteries and most recently an Anker Dashboard Mount for my new Google Pixel 3 phone

And I don't have the money for an SPK/SPK(M), but for the components in it, is there really a HUGE difference in sound between the older SPK and my brand new Shanling Audio M5s? The old SPK has dual AKM 4490 dac chips and my new M5s has dual AKM 4493 DAC chips, as well as every other component being super high quality, so is the difference really night and day, for a $3,500 DAP vs a $430 DAP?

I've never heard the SPK, so that's why I'm asking??? I did notice that the brand new SPKM has dual AKM 4497 DAC chips and is the only DAP to utilize them yet, so I'm sure it sounds amazing, but if anyone out there has heard the SPK and the new Shanling M5s, I'd love to hear your opinions between the two DAP's

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #5,013 of 9,406
Just received my new (used) SPK copper. Really loving it, but I also experienced the random turn off. It was just sitting here, 46% charge, nothing plugged in at all, and it just shut itself off. Powered up fine. Updated it to 1.7 and did a factory reset just prior.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Didn't realize the device had an automatic shutoff setting. :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #5,015 of 9,406
If you like your M5, be happy with your M5. The hardest thing to do here is to be happy with what you have. After all, if you buy a Ford Focus and see a Lexus, they both have four wheels, are real shiny, and get you there and back. The level of happiness one or the other brings to you is mostly subjective.

For those of us who have bought at least one AK (I've had three), the price is worth it. Can't say if the sound signature would be to your liking, or the GUI would make you smile. Go to a CanJam and demo one.

As to putting a charger in the box, who cares? You put out $3.5k, 20 bucks more isn't really relevant. A lot of us buy new cases that cost $100-200 'cause baby needs new clothes. This is a high-end thread for a high-end device. As
the man says, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :)

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #5,016 of 9,406
Agreed. You spend $3,500 on a TOTL DAP, and they can't include a $20-$30 Anker charger??? Terrible IMO☹️

I was bit by the Anker upgrade bug a few years ago, and now EVERY piece of my charging setups is ALL Anker stuff. Cables, chargers, USB batteries and most recently an Anker Dashboard Mount for my new Google Pixel 3 phone

And I don't have the money for an SPK/SPK(M), but for the components in it, is there really a HUGE difference in sound between the older SPK and my brand new Shanling Audio M5s? The old SPK has dual AKM 4490 dac chips and my new M5s has dual AKM 4493 DAC chips, as well as every other component being super high quality, so is the difference really night and day, for a $3,500 DAP vs a $430 DAP?

I've never heard the SPK, so that's why I'm asking??? I did notice that the brand new SPKM has dual AKM 4497 DAC chips and is the only DAP to utilize them yet, so I'm sure it sounds amazing, but if anyone out there has heard the SPK and the new Shanling M5s, I'd love to hear your opinions between the two DAP's

Activo ct10 and ak120ii both use cs4398 inside.
They sound the same? No, nothing similar in sound.
So is there any meaning in compare akmxxxx on M5s and on any ak?
Hearing is a need

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #5,017 of 9,406
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #5,018 of 9,406
@JasonNYC hi Jason. Here is Laurent from France. I have just ordered a sp1000 ss in replacement of my iBasso dx200. Do you recommend a specific charger with it ? I want to use the quickcharge but I’m afraid to damage the battery.
Thanks.
@lolobisaudio I apologize, I have been away for the past week and am catching up now. As others have mentioned, we recommend Qualcomm certified quick chargers. A Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 certified charger would work well. The 2.0 are a bit cheaper and charge at the max rate, so no need to spend the extra money for a 3.0 charger if you don't need it for other devices.

One thing we have noticed is that the Samsung rapid chargers can be hit or miss sometimes. Since they use a different, but similar compatible technology, their chargers will not always quick charge the player.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #5,019 of 9,406
No Roon? No Qobuz? Disappointing!
Qobuz has been available via Open App service since three firmwares ago (1.10).

Roon is coming. The testing and certification by the Roon team is pretty intense and takes 3 - 6 weeks. With the holidays unfortunately, that also added additional time to the testing and certification.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #5,020 of 9,406
If you like your M5, be happy with your M5. The hardest thing to do here is to be happy with what you have. After all, if you buy a Ford Focus and see a Lexus, they both have four wheels, are real shiny, and get you there and back. The level of happiness one or the other brings to you is mostly subjective.

For those of us who have bought at least one AK (I've had three), the price is worth it. Can't say if the sound signature would be to your liking, or the GUI would make you smile. Go to a CanJam and demo one.

As to putting a charger in the box, who cares? You put out $3.5k, 20 bucks more isn't really relevant. A lot of us buy new cases that cost $100-200 'cause baby needs new clothes. This is a high-end thread for a high-end device. As
the man says, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :)

Geez, relax bro. Thats why I asked, because I've never heard the SPK/SPK M. And I can MOST CERTAINLY afford one, I'm just trying to find out if it's really worth it first. Color me stupid for not just spending $3,500 before I find out more about it.

I've been a "taper" and recording live Audio for 20+ years at shows like Phish and hundreds of other jambands/electronic types of music over the years, and I know exactly how it is to buy the absolute BEST equipment and gear (I use the best microphones from Germany called Schoeps, and Sound Devices MixPre Series recorders, along with custom and high end cables and everything else tied into my recording gear). Not because I NEED to, but because I want to and I want the exact same out of my portable audiophile setups! Oh and I also drive a 2009 Lincoln MKZ, so I know all about buying "high-end" products.

I simply asked if there was a big audible difference between the A&K DAP's vs the new Shanling M5s DAP. I never said that the M5s was better than an a&k. I was just talking about the components inside, which the m5M has plenty of inside that are very comparable to the best A&K DAP's.

I am simply trying to find out if it's worth it to me to upgrade to the new SPK M or just stick with my M5s for awhile??? And I asked for opinions from people who have heard BOTH of them, and I still haven't had anyone tell me their opinion about that.

I was just lamenting that the new Shanling M5s has really high quality components too, and I think that you guys would be shocked with how good a sub-$500 DAP sounds nowadays. Technology is progressing at a VERY rapid pace right now!

And if A&K wants their customers to use a specific charger for the best and longest battery life, then yes, IMO it's pretty poor of them not to throw a $20 Anker charger in with a $3,500 DAP. Heck, I remember in the early 2000's when the first iRiver mp3 players came out and us tapers we're rockboxing them so that we could use them as audio recorders and not just mp3 players. They weren't nearly as "high-end" back then LoL I was going to get the A&K Kann DAP awhile back for it's raw power as a HP Amp, until I luckily found out before hand, that the ends where the inputs and outputs are, were just made of plastic!

I'm sorry if I sound somewhat aggressive, and I honestly didn't post in this thread to make any enemies or stir the pot. I just wanted to hear from someone who has heard the SPK/SPK M AND the Shanling M5s DAPs and can give me some insight to whether it's worth it for me to upgrade to the new SPK M, that's all

As with everything I own, I love having the BEST of everything, but it also has to be practical and worth it in the end Maybe I'll just focus on getting the Solaris IEM's for right now until I can do more research and hear from more people regarding the M5s and SPK M. And for anyone who hasn't heard the M5s yet, I think that it's totally worth checking out if you have a friend or someone you know has one. For under $500, it's a solid DAP to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_120601.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120601.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181217_120730.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120730.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181217_120642.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120642.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181217_120650.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120650.jpg
  • IMG_20181217_120657.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120657.jpg
  • IMG_20181217_120703.jpg
    IMG_20181217_120703.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #5,021 of 9,406
Activo ct10 and ak120ii both use cs4398 inside.
They sound the same? No, nothing similar in sound.
So is there any meaning in compare akmxxxx on M5s and on any ak?
Hearing is a need

Thanks for the info. Thats pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I just don't know anyone close to me with the SPK, so I definitely need to hit the Pittsburgh canjam or similar event where I can actually try these DAP's out personally!

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #5,024 of 9,406
IMG_3170.JPG

Wanting to actually buy the new SP1000M GOLD...

When exactly will I be able to purchase it here in the USA,(Date)?

Ouote from a website...

"Get Warmer and Vivid Sound with the brand new gold plated brass housing
With the same DAC combination, AK aim to further improve the audio quality of A&Ultima SP1000M Royal Gold by utilizing new material for the housing framework. After prolonged study, gold plated brass has been picked to improve grounding performances, thus providing a more vivid and warm sound signature. While the Golden surface is also important in reducing oxidization"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back