New to wires/cables, any suggestions?
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ExacoMvm

New Head-Fier
Hello, i was thinking to make some cable for my HE 4XX, since the factory one is not perfect and the prebuilt ones are way too overpriced, i have experience in making DIY coils for eCigarettes, so for headphones it should not be that different. so here's some basics i need to know:

I suppose i need to look for lowest resistance possible right so the electricity flows with least effort possible?

- Wire type? Copper, Silver etc.
- AWG ? Smaller better?
- Gold plated jacks is the best?
- Online part stores that has cheap prices and is Europe based?

Rest i think i can figure out ( best isolation, other materials etc ).

Maybe something like this could be good starting point?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 6
4 x 24AWG is pretty ideal for most headphones. Canare or Mogami Starquad will do the trick. I usually use Redco.com or Markertek.com for pro-level cable but not sure about Europe. It's just general OFC.

You can also search for mil-spec 24 gauge silver plated copper in Teflon on eBay if you don't mind braiding.

Gold or Nickel-plated is fine.

Don't use solid core for headphone cables, too stiff and can break over time.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it was an old link. I tried to google the content but it may not be around any longer. This site has changed format a couple of times over the years so some things are simply no longer around. If you look at my profile, there is a blog where all my mods are archived for your viewing pleasure.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 6
4 x 24AWG is pretty ideal for most headphones. Canare or Mogami Starquad will do the trick. I usually use Redco.com or Markertek.com for pro-level cable but not sure about Europe. It's just general OFC.

You can also search for mil-spec 24 gauge silver plated copper in Teflon on eBay if you don't mind braiding.

Gold or Nickel-plated is fine.

Don't use solid core for headphone cables, too stiff and can break over time.
Thanks, btw i got plenty of Ethernet cables ( CAT7 ) that has broken ports, maybe i could make use of them instead of buying the pure silver or something else ? ( Since internet also requires "speed" ).
Keeping in mind that it should be upgrade over the factory one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back